Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 04-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
polamalubeast
Starter

Member Number: 16032
Default Steeler receiver Mike Wallace ready for increased role

Steeler receiver Mike Wallace ready for increased role
Buzz up!By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 26, 2010

Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace, the logical replacement for Santonio Holmes, expects to be a main object of opposing game plans for the first time in his NFL career.

"(I know) there's going to be double-teams now,'' said Wallace, a third-round draft pick in 2009. "With Santonio and Hines (Ward), a lot of that pressure was taken off (last season). I know I'm going against elite corners now.''

With his new role, comes new expectations for Wallace, who embraces the challenge.

"I think I can make a major jump I'm trying to make it to the Pro Bowl this year,'' said Wallace, the fastest receiver on the team. "People are going to have their doubts, but I'm going to be ready.''

Wallace's rookie season was a pleasant surprise. He played more than anticipated in taking over for Nate Washington as the No. 3 receiver, catching 39 passes for a team-high 19.4-yard average and six touchdowns.

When the Steelers traded Holmes to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft pick, Wallace realized he would have to accept more responsibility.

Known for his explosive bursts downfield, Wallace must refine other areas of his game to erase the stigma of being a one-dimensional (speed) receiver.

"Regardless if Santonio was here or not, I was going to be ready for a bigger role,'' Wallace said. "I learned a lot from Santonio, and I'm going to continue to learn from him, even though he's not here. But this is our team, and I'm developing my new role.

"I'm trying to take no steps back. I know we've lost a big-time player, but I'm trying to make the drop-off a lot easier on everybody.''

Wallace will be expected to play outside like Holmes, one of the league's best route-runners.

Ward normally lines up in the slot.

Instead of running straight downfield against nickel backs, Wallace will now have to free himself at the line of scrimmage against starting cornerbacks intent on jamming.

"Hines is a big technique guy," Wallace said. "He has a lot of tricks. Santonio's a big route runner. I learned a lot from him just about keeping my eyes forward, keeping my arms pumping and keeping my feet moving - giving a perception of different things. With that combination of the best of both worlds, I'm ready.''

Wallace is keeping all of his options open. He fielded punts during practice, the way Holmes used to do, in case he's asked to fill that role during the season.

Stefan Logan was the Steelers' punt returner last season.

At Ole Miss, Wallace holds school records for single game, season and career kickoff return yards.

"If they want me to return punts, I will," he said. "I haven't done it in a while, but I look to get better in every aspect - not just at receiver. I never did it during practice last year, but I'd do it after practice. This year, if they want me on the depth chart, I'm ready at any time for whatever.''
polamalubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803
Default Re: Steeler receiver Mike Wallace ready for increased role

Heres hoping Sweed can bust out of his slump and take some pressure off of Wallace.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,077 Times in 568 Posts

I believe Mike Wallace made the decision to let Holmes go easier for the Steelers. If Wallace wasnt on the team, I think they may have waited a while before making a decision on him. They still would have gotten rid of him but maybe they would have waited to see if they could get more value. He has the speed and catching ability to be a number 1 receiver. If he works hard like Hines Ward does, he will be a pro bowl receiver. Or at least a Marques Colston type receiver.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

I have a feeling this kid's gonna be something special. What a 3rd round draft steal
Old 04-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
Wallace108

Member Number:

I hated losing Santonio, but having Wallace helps ease the pain.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Great. The battle for 3rd receiver is on...Randel El, Sweed or Sanders.

If Sweed can't get 3rd then he falls to 5th and becomes inactive (non-dressed) for games. I doubt he'd be fourth because he doesn't elp enough with ST and the fourth receiver needs to play ST.

I'm rooting for Sweed or Sanders to win the spot. If I can't have big, I want speed.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
Sansi
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16106

I am really psyched for Wallace this year. Like... I am hoping for Santonio production. That is probably way too much to expect right off. It's a mentality thing. Santonio was always the man in College, and got to be the man in big spots for the Steelers. Wallace has to learn to be the man, really. He seems almost too humble for a wide out! And OX... if he is like Colston then we should be thrilled. I see Colston as big time!
Sansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:52 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,311 Times in 1,409 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think Wallace will do good this year sounds like he wants to learn and take on more responsibilty. I just hope Sweed or Sanders will come in and help Ward and Wallace out.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #9
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

hopefully wallace keeps improving and dosnt hit a wall. he looked so great last year
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Wallace has a plethora of talent and I really believe he is very capable of not only filling Santo's role on the team, but becoming a clear cut Top 5 receiver in the NFL. He's going to be asked to step up big time this coming season and I have no doubt he will fulfill every wish the Steelers and we fans have for him.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote