Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Ciron Black

I believe we signed him as UDFA. My question is why did this guy go undrafted. He was high on the boards pre-season, started 40+ consecutive games at LT for LSU. Anybody got some info on this guy, bad character?, hurt? He looks like a steal as a pick-up.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Ciron Black

i would like to know as well. he seemed like a good 3rd round pick before but there has to be a reason. hopefully we give him a legit chance
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

I read where he played both left and right tackle but he was not porjected as a left tackle in the NFL. 6'5" 322 lbs
He's big and ran mid 5s in the forty. We got him so that's good news.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

So far I found from a couple of sites that he dropped because of "lack of athleticism". Listed either 6' 4' or 6'5' from 327-335. Played LT in college but projected OG in NFL. Won college award as best Lineman in SEC. One site had him 8th best OG in draft and touted him as second to third round pick. One service had his stock dropping to a 5th or 6th rounder. I thought he was a very good lineman here in SEC country and I am hoping he will be a steal for the Steeelers. Anybody else got anything to add?
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

04/16/2010 - For four years and 53 consecutive games, LSU's Ciron Black showed up at the same place to work - left tackle. Analysts agree there's a place in the NFL for Black, whose 53 consecutive starts is a school record. But it's going to be a new one. That's fine, said Black, who is in the process of making the transition - physically and mentally -, in preparation for the NFL draft, which begins April 22. "You want to get in where you fit in, " Black said at LSU's Pro Day on March 15, emphasizing the rhyme. "Some teams at the combine liked me at right tackle, and some liked me at guard. They want you to be versatile. I'm trying to re-establish myself. I didn't do as well as I wanted to toward the beginning of the season; I improved late in the season. I wanted to show them (scouts) what type of feet I had, increase my speed and quickness." Scouts said left tackle is out of the question, because it requires more athleticism than Black has in his 6-foot-4, 327-pound body. That was evident at his combine and pro day performances. Black ran 5.49 seconds in the 40-yard dash and had a 7-7 broad jump and a 26-inch vertical leap. Since graduating from LSU in December, Black has spent most of his time at the D1 sports training facility in Nashville, Tenn., to improve physically. "I've been working on overall agility, moving from point A to point B at the drop of a dime, " he said. "I try to avoid false stepping and things like that, because offensive line coaches talk about steps being so precise and so quick." Whatever happens next week, Black often said just being considered for a career in pro ball is a blessing. - Jim Kleinpeter, Times-Picayune
03/18/2010 - Two years ago, sophomore Ciron Black was considered a likely first round draft choice at offensive tackle. Had he entered his name in the NFL Draft last year, he probably would have gone in the second round. As a senior now, Black could go as low as the late stages of the seven-round draft that begins on April 22 as NFL scouts and talent evaluators no longer deem him quick and agile enough to play tackle. He was moved to guard at the NFL Combine workouts last month in Indianapolis. On Monday at LSU's Pro Day, he tried to make up for lost status. "I just wanted to show them that I could move my feet a little bit more," Black said after turning in a 4.93 time in the shuttle run. He did not run the 40-yard dash after a 5.49 in that at the NFL Combine for one of the worst times by an LSU player this draft season. "By the time I got to the shuttle and the three-cone at the combine, I was so tired because I already did more drills," Black said. Black also played heavier his junior season than his sophomore season and heavier in his senior season than he did as a junior. He weighed in at 327 Monday after playing at 325 last season, according to the LSU media guide. - Glenn Guilbeau, The News Star

03/16/2010 - Former LSU offensive tackle Ciron Black said NFL teams have been evaluating him at offensive line positions besides tackle at the combine and Pro Day. "You want to get in where you fit in," Black said. "Some teams liked me at right tackle, some at left guard or right guard. Being versatile is going to increase your stock. I've been training at right tackle because I've been playing left for so long, and at guard at the Senior Bowl, I was going against the best in the country." - Rachel Whittaker, LSU The Reveille

02/12/2010 - PRO POTENTIAL: LT Ciron Black - Black is a four-year starter and one of the more durable offensive linemen available. If LaFell isn't the first Tiger picked in the draft, Black will be.

01/27/2010 - Senior Bowl, Tuesday: When the draft is the subject, there is always a lot of hype around quarterbacks and other skill-position players. However, this is a year where NFL scouts insist that the real talent on display at the Senior Bowl is in the offensive and defensive lines. There are those that believe as many as 10 linemen from the Senior-Bowl rosters could be drafted within the top 50 this April -- and that is with highly-touted prospects Ndamukong Suh, Russell Okung, Trent Williams, and Charles Brown having backed out after initially agreeing to play in the all-star game. Said one longtime NFL executive who preferred not to go on record, "For the big guys, the Senior Bowl is bigger than the Combine. If a guy comes out of nowhere with a great workout in Indy, he'll earn himself a look. If he impresses here, some teams get excited and convince themselves he's turned the corner. Hell, look at the kid, (Robert) Ayers last year or the North Carolina defensive tackle (Kentwan Balmer) a few years ago. Play well here and the head coach falls in love with a guy and the next thing you know, he jumps into the first round." Most linemen, like prospects at the other positions, confirm throughout this week the skills and weaknesses they have displayed on film. Considering his nation-leading 53 starts at left tackle for the Tigers, for example, scouts know what LSU's Ciron Black can do. The competitive fire he's shown in participating this week is appreciated by scouts, but these practices are also about showing NFL teams something different. - Rob Rang and Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

12/24/2009 - 2009 ASSOCIATED PRESS THIRD TEAM ALL-AMERICAN: Tackle???Ciron Black, senior, LSU, has been selected Third Team All-American for the 2009 college football season as voted on by The Associated Press. - AP Sports

12/14/2009 - 2009 WALTER CAMP SECOND TEAM ALL-AMERICAN: OL Ciron Black, LSU Sr. 6-5 322 Tyler, TX, has been selected Second Team Walter Camp Football Foundation All-American, the 120th honored by the organization. Black, one of the top linemen in school history, earned first-team All-SEC honors this season from the Associated Press and league's coaches. He was a second-team All-SEC selection as a junior in 2008. Black has started 52 consecutive games at left tackle for LSU, tying a school record for consecutive starts set by Andrew Whitworth. He can become the school's all-time leader in consecutive starts when the Tigers take on Penn State in the 2010 Capital One Bowl on New Year's Day in Orlando, Fla. Black led LSU with over 70 knockdowns this season while grading out over 85 percent in all 12 of LSU's games. He posted a team-best 68 knockdowns in 2008 and has started every game of his career since his redshirt freshman season of 2006. - LSU football

12/09/2009 - 2009 SEC JACOBS BLOCKING TROPHY (COACHES): Ciron Black, OL, LSU: Black, who was named to the All-SEC first team, has started 52 straight games at left tackle, which tied the school record of consecutive starts set by Andrew Whitworth. With one more start in the Capital One Bowl, Black will become the school's record holder in that category. Black was a second-team All-SEC selection last season. - SEC football

12/08/2009 - 2009 ALL-SEC FIRST TEAM (COACHES): OL - Ciron Black, LSU, has been selected All-Southeastern Conference First Team for the 2009 college football season as voted on by the SEC Coaches. Black, who was named to the Associated Press All-SEC first team on Monday, has started 52 straight games at left tackle, which has tied the school record of consecutive starts set by Andrew Whitworth. With one more start in the Capital One Bowl, Black will become the school's record holder in that category. Black was a second-team All-SEC selection last season. - LSU football

12/08/2009 - 2009 AP ALL-SEC FIRST TEAM: OL - Ciron Black, LSU, 6-5, 322, Sr., has been selected First Team All-Southeastern Conference for the 2009 college football season as voted on by The Associated Press. Black, a native of Tyler, Texas, has started 52 straight games at left tackle, which has tied the school record of consecutive starts set by Andrew Whitworth. With one more start in the Capital One Bowl, Black will become the school's record holder in that category. Black was a second-team All-SEC selection last season. - LSU football

11/24/2009 - 11/24 NFL DRAFT SCOUT FALLER: Ciron Black, OT, LSU: The two-time second-team All-SEC left tackle has not helped his draft status during his senior season. In the road loss to Ole Miss on Saturday, Black was mostly solid but again struggled with speed on the edge, even without sackmaster Greg Hardy on the field, requiring RB Keiland Williams to regularly help out. In the final series of the game, his inability to stay in front of or sustain a block against his man cost the team a sack and a tackle for loss. Even when he manages to cut off the outside rush, NFL ends will easily cross him up inside and out-hustle Black after their initial rush because the 6-5, 322-pound lineman has little recovery speed. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFLDraftScout.com

09/11/2009 - The starters on the offensive line (LT Ciron Black, LG Josh Dworaczyk, C T-Bob Hebert, RG Lyle Hitt, and RT Joseph Barksdale) played every snap against Washington.

08/25/2009 - LSU coach Les Miles said Black is a team leader in all aspects of the game. "The team respects [Black]," Miles said. "He always wants in. Whether it's running sprints or a game, he wants to be in." Black said he tries to lead the team in any way necessary, both on and off the field. "I try to do whatever I can to help the guys out, especially the younger guys," Black said. "Whether it be getting on somebody to finish a drill or uplifting a younger guy. I try to be with the young guys off the field, too. I'll play video games or cards with them anytime to help them adjust." After a dominant junior season, the Tyler, Texas native decided to return for his senior season after testing the waters of the NFL draft. "[Coming back to LSU] was not a hard decision for me," Black said. "I saw that I have a lot more to work on and I was not the player I wanted to be." Miles said Black's biggest strengths as a player are his mobility and strength along with his overall knowledge of the offensive scheme. Black finished his junior season with a second consecutive second-team All-Southeastern Conference selection. He also led the team in knockdowns with 68. This season, Black has already been selected as a preseason first-team All-SEC member by the SEC coaches and a first-team preseason All-American by Sports Illustrated. The 23-year-old left tackle started 40 consecutive games for the Tigers and played in 2,654 snaps, the most for any LSU player during the past three seasons. - Rob Landry, LSU The Reveille

08/20/2009 - 2009 PRESEASON ROTARY LOMBARDI AWARD WATCH LIST: Ciron Black 70 LSU OL Sr 6-5 325 Tyler, TX, has been selected one of 153 players named to the preseason watch list for the 40th annual Rotary Lombardi Award, presented annually by Houston's Rotary Club to the nation's top college football lineman - offense or defense - who, in addition to outstanding performance and ability, best exemplifies the discipline of Vince Lombardi. - The Rotary Club of Houston

08/14/2009 - TOP 10 SENIOR PROSPECTS: SEC: 7. OT Ciron Black, LSU, 6-5, 325, 5.36: The left tackle considered leaving school after earning a second-round grade from the NFL Advisory Committee last year. Despite already starting 40 games at left tackle for the Tigers, Black's less-than-elite foot quickness means some teams will project him to right tackle or perhaps guard. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

08/11/2009 - Offensively, the Tigers may have found themselves late in the year when freshman Jordan Jefferson took over at quarterback. He goes into the fall a solid No. 1 and will have two big weapons in senior tailback Charles Scott (1,174 yards rushing) and senior wide receiver Brandon LaFell (63 catches, 929 yards). Up front offensively, senior Ciron Black is an All-American candidate at left tackle. Overall, the Tigers have the potential to put a lot of points on the board, but if they are to live up to preseason predictions of a second-place finish in the SEC's Western Division, they are going to have to find themselves defensively. QUOTE TO NOTE: "Right now we're really hungry. We ended the season on a great note with the Chick-fil-A Bowl. That wasn't enough." - Senior LT Ciron Black, on the team's approach to 2009.

08/11/2009 - 2009 PRESEASON OUTLAND TROPHY WATCH LIST: Ciron Black, LSU, has been selected one of 40 players on the preseason watch list for the 2009 Outland Trophy, awarded to the best college football interior lineman. Black goes into his final season with the Tigers having started 40 consecutive games, all coming at the left tackle position. For his career, Black has played 2,654 snaps from scrimmage and he hasn't allowed a sack since his rookie year in 2006. Black set a school record by playing 1,031 snaps from scrimmage as a sophomore in 2007. - LSU football

07/24/2009 - 2009 SEC PRE-SEASON ALL-SEC FIRST TEAM (MEDIA): OL Ciron Black, LSU (60) 6-5 325 Sr. Tyler, Texas, has been selected Pre-season First Team All-SEC for the 2009 college football season as voted on by the 64 SEC Media voters. Black was named a first-team offensive tackle receiving 60 votes and the senior from Tyler, Texas received only one less vote on the first team offense than Florida quarterback Tim Tebow who received the most votes on the first team offense, 61. - LSU football

07/16/2009 - 2009 SEC COACHES PRE-SEASON ALL-SEC FIRST TEAM: OL Ciron Black, LSU, 6-5 325 Sr. Tyler, Texas, has been selected Pre-season First Team All-SEC for the 2009 college football season as voted on by the SEC coaches. The Tigers placed a total of 10 players over the three units, which ranked second among all SEC teams. Florida led the league with 16 players, including eight first-teamers, on the three units. Alabama and Georgia followed LSU with nine selections. Black, who has started 40 straight games at left tackle during his career for the Tigers, was just one of three players who was a unanimous selection to the team. Black has twice earned second-team all-SEC honors and he goes into the 2009 season having not allowed a sack in two years. Black was joined by Alabama receiver Julio Jones and Tennessee defensive back Eric Berry as the only unanimous selections. - LSU football
Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

LSU's offensive line stunk this year. That hurt his stock.

Per the LSU board, Ciron was playing all year on a bum knee.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Steeldude
Living Legend

it means the steelers have another G, but no future T prospects again.

what do the steelers have, 3 tackles and 100 guards now?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

OL is OL.

I'll take anybody

His Wiki page says he's a Steeler - nothing else confirms it so far.

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

Ciron Black, OL, LSU

Black has been the pillar of the LSU offensive line for four consecutive seasons, and he is one of the most experienced players in all of college football. Since redshirting in 2005, the senior tackle has started an incredible 52 straight games for the Tigers; 13 as a freshman, 14 as a sophomore, 13 as a junior, and so far 12 in his final campaign in Baton Rouge. Black was named a First-Team Freshman All-American by several publications in 2006, and he was an All-SEC performer in each of his next two seasons. The Tigers have been plagued by injuries this year so the offense has not been piling up a ton of yards, but Charles Scott (4.7 yards per carry) and Keiland Williams (5.3 ypc) have found success running behind a stellar offensive front.

Black also projects well to the NFL, and not just because he is extremely durable. In the mold of most LSU linemen, Black stands at an imposing 6'5'' and 322 pounds. He runs in the mid-5.3s of the 40-yard dash and has been clocked faster than 5.30 at that distance; impressive speed for a man of his size. Scouts will also love the fact that Black is an outstanding person off the field who excels in the classroom. The only real drawback--if you can call it that--is that Black, who has played both right and left tackle for the Tigers, is not an NFL left tackle (the more valuable position). He is an excellent run-blocker, but he must improve in the pass-blocking department if he is ever to protect a quarterback's blind side. Even so, Black is a lock to be off the board before the end of the second round, and he even has a shot at a late first-round selection

----------------

Lots of speculation that he wasn't drafted due to a knee inj.

Last edited by Fire Haley; 04-26-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

i just saw a list of the 7 we signed and Black is not on it so we didnt sign him
Old 04-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Steelers.com doesn't have him on our roster or say anything about us signing him. Neither does the NFL.com draft prospect tracker :S

Who is the source for this signing?