Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
pitts_steeler_fan
Water Boy

Member Number: 1264
Default 20 reasons the refs' calls didn't matter...

20 reasons the refs' calls didn't matter...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know who wrote this, but I think it sums up the role of the officiating in Seattle's loss in Super Bowl XL very nicely.

1. The Refs didn't give up the longest run in SB history...Seattle's defense did.
2. The Refs didn't bite on a 43 yd trick play, Randle to Ward for a TD...Seattle's defense did.
3. The Refs didn't allow Ben to scramble around on a 3rd and 28 and complete a long pass to the 2 yd. line...Seattle's defense did.
4. The Refs didn't miss two field goals, that was Seattle.
5. The Refs didn't fail to step out of bounds late in the 1st half to stop the clock in Pitt territory in a crunch time situation...Seattle's offense did.
6. The Refs didn't let the 1st half clock tick down from 48 seconds all the way down to 13 seconds before finally running their next play at Pitt's 36 yd line...Seattle's offense did.
7. And on this play, 3rd down, 53 yds away from a FG, it wasn't the Refs who tried and failed to go deep for a TD rather than a safer 5-7 yd play and timeout setting up a much easier FG attempt....that, again, would be Seattle's offense.
8. The Refs didn't get confused by Pitt's zone defense and throw an INT...that would be Seattle's QB.
9. The Refs didn't let a little physical contact intimidate them from catching 4 very catchable passes...that would be the Seattle TE Jeremy Stevens.
10. With approx. 20 seconds left in the game, knowing they need a TD and FG, in no particular order, and in easy FG range on 4th down, it wasn't the Refs who ignored the FG and elected to throw up a prayer trying for a TD...that AGAIN would be Seattle.
11. The Refs didn't constantly punt deep into the end zone, repeatedly giving Pitt the ball at the 20 yd line...that of course was Seattle.
12. It wasn't the Refs who received a Christmas gift wrapped easy INT lobbed in perfect position to return deep into Pitt territory...the lucky beneficiary of that break would be Seattle.
13. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when a Steeler DB dropped an easy int early in the game...that too would be a break for Seattle.
14. It wasn't the Refs who caught a break when a Steeler WR dropped a very catchable TD pass...that break again would go to Seattle.
15. It wasn't the scapegoat Refs that received a break when a WR caught the ball, turned, stepped, was hit hard enough to cause a fumble, and then ruled INCOMPLETE...that would be of course, another chance for Seattle.
(this was an interesting call considering that after Troy's famous overruled Int, the NFL stated that it WAS a catch. If so, than this definitely WAS a catch)
16. The Refs werent the ones who caught a break when at the conclusion of a 2nd qtr play, as a Pitt DE was walking away, the Seattle Center blindsided the defenseless player, leveling him to the ground. This mysteriously unseen crime was again another break for Seattle.
17. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when Pitt QB Big Ben was blocked in the back as he pursued the DB who he'd tossed an int to...that again would go to Seattle.
18. It wasn't the Refs who stopped Seattle RB Alexander in a few key situations. That would be the Pittsburgh Steelers.
19. It wasn't the Refs who converted many of their 3rd downs yet stopped their opponent on 3rd down often...that would be the Pittsburgh Steelers.
20. And the very bottom line is this...On plays when there wasn't any penalties...One team made plays and one team didn't. The end result was the final score, 21-10 Seattle was outcoached and outplayed.

Get over it Seattle.

Congratulations to the World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875
Default Re: 20 reasons the refs' calls didn't matter...

That pretty much sums it up. Let the celebration begin.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
radaz52
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 130

I think this needs to be published in every paper throughout the nation.
Go Steelers. Only Steeler Nation knows the REAL TRUTH!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Webfactor8
Water Boy

Member Number: 1873

Wow thanks for this, great ammo for my "friends" who are Seahawk fans.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

Start printing that up and handing it out whenever I hear someone say anything...I am sick of wasting my breath!!! Great Post
Old 02-07-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
Kdcobainita
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1641

YES, i quote ALL!! We are world champions, STOP!!

Thanks to drizze99 for this sign!!
Kdcobainita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Brady12
Team Captain

Member Number: 973

Some of them don't make sense to me, but i'm not gonna start of refs again. Officials screw us all, it's part of the game.
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
Kaish15
Water Boy

Member Number: 1840

Good list. I'm printing it for my Hawk friends.
Kaish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
Kjelstad
Water Boy

Member Number: 1417

I don't know who wrote this, but I think it sums up the role of the officiating in Seattle's loss in Super Bowl XL very nicely.

1. The Refs didn't give up the longest run in SB history...Seattle's defense did.
And you gave up the longest int return. It was a nice run though
2. The Refs didn't bite on a 43 yd trick play, Randle to Ward for a TD...Seattle's defense did.
That was a great play. Does Cowler call it if they are behind?
3. The Refs didn't allow Ben to scramble around on a 3rd and 28 and complete a long pass to the 2 yd. line...Seattle's defense did.
The refs did fail to call a phantom holding call on the play though. Locklear must have held on his play (even though no one saw it) because there is no other way he could have stopped an off sides Steeler Defence.
4. The Refs didn't miss two field goals, that was Seattle.
We all know 54 and 50 yard FGs are gimmies for Reed? Josh isn't the reason we lost. I don't care what you pick, but not that one
5. The Refs didn't fail to step out of bounds late in the 1st half to stop the clock in Pitt territory in a crunch time situation...Seattle's offense did.
I?m glad to see someone else says Jackson wasn?t out of bounds. I thought he hit the pylon at the end of the second half too.
6. The Refs didn't let the 1st half clock tick down from 48 seconds all the way down to 13 seconds before finally running their next play at Pitt's 36 yd line...Seattle's offense did.
Gotta give it up for the home field advantage.
7. And on this play, 3rd down, 53 yds away from a FG, it wasn't the Refs who tried and failed to go deep for a TD rather than a safer 5-7 yd play and timeout setting up a much easier FG attempt....that, again, would be Seattle's offense.
You are going to second guess the play calling now?
8. The Refs didn't get confused by Pitt's zone defense and throw an INT...that would be Seattle's QB.
He shouldn?t have been backed up that far in the first place. How many did your star QB throw?
9. The Refs didn't let a little physical contact intimidate them from catching 4 very catchable passes...that would be the Seattle TE Jeremy Stevens.
I can?t argue that.
10. With approx. 20 seconds left in the game, knowing they need a TD and FG, in no particular order, and in easy FG range on 4th down, it wasn't the Refs who ignored the FG and elected to throw up a prayer trying for a TD...that AGAIN would be Seattle.
27 seconds.
11. The Refs didn't constantly punt deep into the end zone, repeatedly giving Pitt the ball at the 20 yd line...that of course was Seattle.
Great position there?
12. It wasn't the Refs who received a Christmas gift wrapped easy INT lobbed in perfect position to return deep into Pitt territory...the lucky beneficiary of that break would be Seattle.
The refs helped Pitt get one though.
13. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when a Steeler DB dropped an easy int early in the game...that too would be a break for Seattle.
And it wasn?t Seattle that threw it. Another comment that has nothing to do with the refs.
14. It wasn't the Refs who caught a break when a Steeler WR dropped a very catchable TD pass...that break again would go to Seattle.
That?s just the reverse of you Stevens comment.
15. It wasn't the scapegoat Refs that received a break when a WR caught the ball, turned, stepped, was hit hard enough to cause a fumble, and then ruled INCOMPLETE...that would be of course, another chance for Seattle.
(this was an interesting call considering that after Troy's famous overruled Int, the NFL stated that it WAS a catch. If so, than this definitely WAS a catch)
I?ll agree. As long as we are talking rules, let's talk Offensive Interference:if you call that a push off which by rule the arm has to be fully extended which it wasn't then you have to call the illegal contact over 5 yards on the D Player that occurred from the 5 yard line into the endzone-- he had his hands all over Jackson.
16. The Refs werent the ones who caught a break when at the conclusion of a 2nd qtr play, as a Pitt DE was walking away, the Seattle Center blindsided the defenseless player, leveling him to the ground. This mysteriously unseen crime was again another break for Seattle.
It wasn?t really a break in that it didn?t overturn a productive play, but I will take your word for it.
17. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when Pitt QB Big Ben was blocked in the back as he pursued the DB who he'd tossed an int to...that again would go to Seattle.
It was too late to call as it would not overturn the int
18. It wasn't the Refs who stopped Seattle RB Alexander in a few key situations. That would be the Pittsburgh Steelers.
He had 95 yards.
19. It wasn't the Refs who converted many of their 3rd downs yet stopped their opponent on 3rd down often...that would be the Pittsburgh Steelers.
No, that was the refs.
20. And the very bottom line is this...On plays when there wasn't any penalties...One team made plays and one team didn't. The end result was the final score, 21-10 Seattle was outcoached and outplayed.
And the very bottom line is this...On plays when there were penalties...One team made plays and one team didn't. Those plays didn?t count though.

Get over it Seattle.

I?d say ?OK? if it were Seattle. Just Seattle. Get over it NON-Steeler fans. It isn?t just Seattle. Since Ben's touchdown wasn't brought up (another touchy subjuct), I will say that could not have been overturned either way. I think people were upset that the line signals a 4th down and then as the ball is moved across the line he changed it. I don't care what you call in that case, it was close, but call something and stick to it.

I?m not saying Seattle would/could/should have won, I?m just saying they were not given the chance.

Congratulations to the World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Congratulations to the World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers
Kjelstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #10
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

This is an awesome thread !!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote