Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-27-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Making sense of the 2010 draft.

http://www.postgameheroes.com/

Here's a good link from a good site that gives a nice perspective on this draft.

Not just from this, but from everything I see I'm really starting to fall in "like" with this draft. Overall depth I think this will be one of those drafts we'll be looking at as a nucleas of a top contender through the middle of this decade to the end. ( does that make sense? )

Anway I like to give it a few days before I comment on a draft, try to let things sink in. Some year's drafts start smelling like dirty socks the more exposure they get to the light, but not this one imo. At first take I was a little concerned that we ignored safety, and perhaps I would have liked a top cornerback. But then when I look and see what was available and what we got i see that we got some real players in here.
In short.

Pouncey and Dwyer will be immediate contributors. We wont be wasting roster spots on special team scrubs. The pass rush is going to be wicked in the years ahead.

What's not to like?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311
Default Re: Making sense of the 2010 draft.

With all of the OLB, they are thinking ahead into the future. Harrison has got about 3 years left at best.
Woodley is NOT going anywhere. With Holmes being traded, this allows the Steelers to open the wallet for
Woodley.
They got OL help. Another RB in Dwyer.
Not a bad draft. But not great. Just very good!
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Nice Find, Thanks for posting.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

There probably thinking Harrison only has 2 years left. He is making a ton of money so odds are there going to rework his contract or cut him the second his play drops off. Gibson looks like a great replacement.
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain

Member Number: 2162

Thanks for the link. It was a good read. As the days pass I'm liking the draft more but I still have doubts. I don't question the players or positions taken as much as when they were taken. A post at that site sums up my thinking pretty well.

Quote:
Your points are taken. But looking at our picks Vs other available selections still puzzles me. Pouncey, Gibson & Dwyer are strong picks-top value. The prospects we passed on are stunning: Choose one of the following in each round: Rnd 2 (compare to Worilds)-Chas Brown OT; Mt Cody DT; Golden Tate WR, B Spikes LB & Myron Lewis CB. Round 3(compare to Sanders)-B. Ghee CB; E Griffen DE; M Williams WR; B Campbell OT. Round 5 (comapre to Scott, Butler & Stevenson) N Bynham TE; C Thomas NT; M Petrus OG; A Jones DT; E Olson C/G & Skelton QB. What I don’t get is if we take Worilds, why take Gibson? (You say fro LB depth.)If we take Sanders,why take Brown? I know BAA! If McFadden has a good year, he may well have saved this draft other than our 3 top value picks. I remain puzzled on our ‘draft strategy’(?)
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

They way the Steelers draft plays out is very exciting, and also makes me chuckle at the paranoia and second guessing out there..........
Every season it is usually the same thing with all of the reactions of the hard core fans......"What are they/we doing"..........."Why didnt we pick this dude or that dude ....WHy did we get him"..........

Well folks, its like sailing head first into a storm at sea.......There is always that feeling of life or death going into it.......Then you get to know the storm and the swell a little bit, and the paranoia and uncertainty goes away a little.........Then when you come out the other side you have the knowledge of a new swell/storm under your belt that had its own distict feel, but similar to the last one.........And you feel like you can control the vessel into the next one, without any fear, and you kinda look forward to it coming again......Until that first day you are smack in the middle of it, then it(paranoia/uncertainty) starts all over again............

What a way to live........

I beleive our draft really came together on the last day........Like the peices of a 1000 peice puzzle........Like an awesome painting..........We are bringing in some quality guys this season............There are going to be some new guys making a name for themselves in the black and gold out of this class..................just say Woodley..and every hard core football fan knows who you are talking about..................I can't wait to see who steps up and takes over.............
Old 04-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

PGH is a pretty good site. They do EXCELLENT post-game OL break-downs in re the true responsibility for the sacks in the prior game. I know of no other site that does that kind of analysis...
Old 04-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
Thanks for the link. It was a good read. As the days pass I'm liking the draft more but I still have doubts. I don't question the players or positions taken as much as when they were taken. A post at that site sums up my thinking pretty well.
Quote:
Your points are taken. But looking at our picks Vs other available selections still puzzles me. Pouncey, Gibson & Dwyer are strong picks-top value. The prospects we passed on are stunning: Choose one of the following in each round: Rnd 2 (compare to Worilds)-Chas Brown OT; Mt Cody DT; Golden Tate WR, B Spikes LB & Myron Lewis CB. Round 3(compare to Sanders)-B. Ghee CB; E Griffen DE; M Williams WR; B Campbell OT. Round 5 (comapre to Scott, Butler & Stevenson) N Bynham TE; C Thomas NT; M Petrus OG; A Jones DT; E Olson C/G & Skelton QB. What I don’t get is if we take Worilds, why take Gibson? (You say fro LB depth.)If we take Sanders,why take Brown? I know BAA! If McFadden has a good year, he may well have saved this draft other than our 3 top value picks. I remain puzzled on our ‘draft strategy’(?)

That's my main complaint too. It seems like we flipped out on Day 2 and took a couple guys out of place. The net effect was that in rounds 2-7, we ended up with the second-best WR, OL and DB available to us, and we could've gotten better value if we'd just drafted all the exact same positions in a different order. We also didn't get any defensive line help, which bothers me.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
There probably thinking Harrison only has 2 years left. He is making a ton of money so odds are there going to rework his contract or cut him the second his play drops off. Gibson looks like a great replacement.
I agree about Harrison. His off field problems will add to this if they continue.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

So we have 2 players drafted to play outside linebacker. You have Harrison for 2 more years and if you resign Woodley, he is here for atleast 5 more. Meanwhile Farrior, Smith and kiesel need replaced now. I hope it works out.