Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 4.27.2010

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 4.27.2010
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ed Bouchette: Welcome, let's begin

black_gold: so did any of the steelers picks surprise you

Ed Bouchette: I'm always surprised by the draft, one way or the other. Obviously, not by the first pick. I was surprised they took a WR in the third and a second OLB in the fourth. The RB looks like a pleasant surprise. But I've learned through the years that it's hard to evaluate the draft one way or the other, although most try

davidf412: Who do you foresee as our starting offensive line at the seasons start.

Ed Bouchette: Same as last season except at right guard, where Pouncey will compete with Ramon Foster and Trai Essex. It will depend on how quickly Pouncey comes along in camp if he can win that job from the start

Guest: Ed, is there a cause for concern along the DL? I thought the Steeler's expressed some concern over that area but didn't do much to address the concern in the draft.

Ed Bouchette: There should be no concern as to the starting three, and they did draft Ziggy Hood No. 1 last year. Chris Hoke is more than capable as the backup NT. The concern might come in the years ahead if they do not re-stock because of the age of the starting 3, but I suspect they will look to do that.

db_jack: Ed, do you that drafting two outside linebackers is an indication that Woodley's contract extension may be a struggle?

Ed Bouchette: It could be, but as I point out in tomorrow's story, you always are looking for OLBs because it takes a few years for them to develop. And you may hit on just one of the two.

ProfessorFlush: Has Deshea Townsend announced his retirement, or is he still waiting for the Steelers to offer him a contract? Why not invite him to training camp to "tutor" the young DBs????

Ed Bouchette: No, I've seen nothing that he will retire and at the end of last season he said he wanted to continue to play. Kevin Colbert said they were done signing veteran free agents, and I assume that means his own, even though it was in answer to a question about Alan Faneca.

david_pitt: How certain is it that Pouncey will start this year?

Ed Bouchette: It's not certain at all. He will have to earn that.

Guest: Ed, do you feel the Steelers will regret not drafting Cody when they had the chance?

Ed Bouchette: Maybe 3 years down the road they will, but not now. Where would you put him. You just signed Casey Hampton and I think they believe he has 2 good years left in him. They once passed on drafting Emmitt Smith and actually traded with Dallas to allow the Cowboys to take him. They could not justify drafting Smith because they drafted Tim Worley No. 1 the previous year; the steelers drafted Eric Green. Years later, it looked almost foolish to pass on Smith but the reality at the time was they did the right thing. Plus, they drafted one Barry Foster in the fifth round that year, 1990.

sj1953: hi Ed: what do you think the STEELERS will do if Dixon is very good in the first 4 games?

Ed Bouchette: You mean they will keep him as their starter? No, I don't believe that will happen. Ben Roethlisberger will return as their starter. But it will not make things better for him with the public if Dixon does extremely wll in those first four games. It will make that hill even higher to climb.

s1refrosty: Any word on the timetable for Ben's counseling commitements?

Ed Bouchette: No, other than he will miss this weekend's minicamp.

screenwriter: Ed, Do the Steelers plan on converting an of the new OLB to ILB ala Timmons or were they drafted primarily for special teams this season?

Ed Bouchette: You do not draft someone in the second round to play special teams. That is a bonus, although you expect your linebackers to be able to do that. Sylvest was an OLB at Utah (a "rover") and will start out inside with the steelers.

OldSchoolPatriotFan: Does the Sanders pick mean Sweed is not going to end up being a Cinderella story success for the Steelers?

Ed Bouchette: That will all depend on Limas Sweed.

BlackJackBill: Did the Steelers draft another Alonzo Jackson in the 2nd round...ie a reach/project??? I worry about the RiccoCocologh curse!!!!

Ed Bouchette: For every Alonzo Jackson, there is a LaMarr Woodley, also drafted on the second round.

Mike: Any initial thoughts on who is the odd man out at wide receiver? Do you think Limas Sweed is at a disadvantage v. Battle and Randle El becasue of their special teams abilities?

Ed Bouchette: If all six show they should be kept, they will find room for them. Otherwise, I would say, yes, Sweed looks to be the most vulnerable

iup steeler: Hi Ed. Over the past weekend which worked better for the Steelers, the players they drafted or the players they traded for in the draft?

Ed Bouchette: They acdquired just one player in trade, Bryant McFadden. I would think the draft was much more important to them.

screenwriter: Ed, Will McFadden be the starter at CB or is it an open competiton? It seems odd to annoint him the starter when he alternated with W. Gay the last time Mac was here.

Ed Bouchette: No one is annointing anyone. Again, he'll have to earn that and Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis might still have something to say about it.

Chooch79: If Pouncy will not play C this year, why not draft a higher rated G (there were many at #18) and wait till next year to draft a center?

Ed Bouchette: What if there is no center next year, and what if you want to prepare the next center to play the position rather than shove him into it. As I've pointed out many times, Dermontti Dawson followed that path, playing RG as a rookie.

RickO: Do you expect a vast improvement in special teams what with the new coach and bunch of new special teams aces drafted and signed?

Ed Bouchette: Steelers special teams have nowhere to go but up.

Mike: Kraig Urbick been impressing anyone in his second season?

Ed Bouchette: Haven't heard anything after just two OTAs. Maybe he's impressed someone in the weight room this spring, but I don't know.

BlackJackBill: Are you intrigued as I am at the GA Tech back taken in the 6th round? I think he might be the best bargain of the draft for our boys in black and gold.

Ed Bouchette: You must have read my story today.

JAXMAN: Hi Mr. Bouchette;Besides Pouncey which draft pick do you think will contribute the most this coming season?

Ed Bouchette: Jonathan Dwyer

pitts1969: hi ed when did pittsburgh become the moral leaders of the nfl an if morals are important why not suspend tom cable an thejets new cornerback

Ed Bouchette: You must have them confused with Roger Goodell. The Steelers have no input on suspending Cable.

MN Steeler Fan: Is Willie Colon a lock at RT? I'm wondering if the new line coach considers him one of the best RT in the league as the old lince coach did. I think he was overrated and they did not tender him as highly as they did Starks.

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I would say he's as good a lock as any position is.

ProfessorFlush: What was your 'YIKES" moment of the draft-ie. which team shocked you with a pick that was way out of line. I vote for Tebow in the 1st to the Donkeys.

Ed Bouchette: I was surprised by Jacksonville taking the DE at No. 10, but Gene Smith, their GM, is as good as they come and it would surprise me none if he fools everyone with that choice.

Allegedly: Ed, Now were being told that Ben was/is "the victim" of a gun wielding boyfriend who put a gun to Ben's head. Was that reported to the police and was the boyfriend a jealous lover or trying to protect his girlfriend from the dreaded Roethlisfingers?

Ed Bouchette: If that were the case, he should have reported it to the police.

Steve K: What player from last years draft has the best chance to be key player for the team this year.?

Ed Bouchette: I would think Keenan Lewis and/or Joe Burnett and Ziggy Hood, discounting of course that Mike Wallace already is a key

Ryan CCCCCC: Ed, did you just call Pouncey the next Dermonti Dawson?? I'm spreading that rumor now.

Ed Bouchette: You may want to hold off on that. Dawson will make the Hall of Fame. Pouncey, I'm told, is a good player but cannot move the way Dawson did. That's not a knock because no one could move like Dawson.

Freddy Fu: Ed, any chance Steelers go after Chris Hovan just released by the Bucs, a Tomlin guy?

Ed Bouchette: Kevin Colbert said they were not going to sign any more veterans.
Steelheadtrout: When all is said and done, will Stefan Logan be there?

Ed Bouchette: Logan, because he does not really play a position, will always have to fight for a roster spot.

Martin in Bahrain: Why pass on Golden Tate?

Ed Bouchette: You can say that about any number of players. You cannot draft them all. They obviously preferred Worilds on the second round.

Derek: I've seen Limas Sweed make outstanding catches in person at training camp. The ability is there. What is his problem? Concentraton? Confidence? What do we have to see from him for him to stay a Steeler?

Ed Bouchette: He does have ability, why he became a second-round draft pick. Confidence, concentration certainly are things that must be improved.

SteelFanMo: Do you believe that Ben will try to use the "concussion defense" if they find any possible relation there?

Ed Bouchette: I think Mike Tomlin, who had many concusssions, would be a better subject for that.

markjames: Pouncey, taken at 18 may not see the field and have to develop? If that happens, then the Steelers may not get any production on the field from any of their top picks. Coming off 9-7, can we afford that?

Ed Bouchette: Pouncey will compete to start at right guard. No. 1 picks often do not win a starting job as a rookie.

Matthew: What is your favorite part of the year for football? The start of the season, weeks leading up to the playoffs, playoffs, superbowl, draft, or training camp?

Ed Bouchette: How about vacation!
No, the game's the thing so the season, to me, is my favorite part of it. Outside of these chats, of course.

cincikid: Randel El seems to be odd man out. We have better potential return men and slot receivers. Is his spot on the team fairly certain?

Ed Bouchette: Nothing's certain but I do not believe Randle El will be cut.

Mikey: Ed, do you think that Ben will be able to handle being one strike away from becoming a former Steeler? Nothing in his off season resume suggests to me that he will.

Ed Bouchette: He has no choice, and I believe he will make better choices and not put himself in those kinds of situations again. The days of Ben bar-hopping along the South Side are over.

susan: ed, hows hartwigs recovery from shoulder surgery coming along? can legursky beat him out for the starting centers job this season?

Ed Bouchette: Hartwig is fine and, no, I don't think he'll lose his starting job this year.
kcsport: Do all the draft picks get the same salary until they make the team?

Ed Bouchette: No, all the draft picks get a signing bonus on a scale with the highest getting the big money on down. Normally, the first two picks also get higher salaries than the rookie minimums.

pitts1969: who do u think have passed the steelers in the afc north

Ed Bouchette: I would say Baltimore and Cincinnati, which already passed them last season.

Steeler_Fan_In_Cen_CA: Ed, read your slao about Taylor being converted to fullback with no prior experience. Has this ever worked?

Ed Bouchette: Off the top of my head, I do not know. He was a DE at Va. Tech, a decent RB in high school. Carlton Haselrig came to the Steelers with no college football experience. They put him at DT, eventually move him to guard and he became a Pro Bowler.

steelfool: Am I missing something, or did the Steelers pick fewer free agents than usual (and other teams) this year?

Ed Bouchette: Indeed, a lot fewer. They had 10 draft picks, added two more in trades and signed a bunch of veteran free agents. Their roster stands at 90.

Ed Bouchette: That's it. Thanks for a good chat. See you next Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10117...#ixzz0mRsSfWue
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 4.27.2010

if dixon starts i hope he does great. this way he will be great trade bait for 2011
Old 04-28-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Nice read thanks Mesa
Old 04-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Roster at 90....53 make the team on Game day...

lots of cuts ahead.