Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers hoping Georgia Tech's Dwyer is a steal

Steelers hoping Georgia Tech's Dwyer is a steal
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10117/1053635-66.stm

Goodbye Fast Willie and say hello to the Diesel, who might be the Steelers' best bargain in the NFL draft.

The Steelers were good for two trades the past week, and in essence they concluded another when they drafted Georgia Tech running back Jonathan Dwyer after letting Willie Parker go as a free agent.

Their running styles could not be more diverse, from one end of the scale to another. Parker was the home-run threat, the quick-twitch fiber of a back. Dwyer weighs 225 pounds and runs like his nickname, Diesel, ramming through lines and churning out yardage like plows through snowdrifts.

That the Steelers were able to get him with a sixth-round draft pick not only surprised Dwyer, but it also surprised some in the NFL. He ran for 1,395 yards as a true sophomore in 2008 as the Atlantic Coast Conference player of the year. He followed with another 1,395 yards last season and opted for the draft after an NFL committee informed him he should be drafted in the first or second round.

NFLdraftscout.com had him projected for the second or third round as the sixth-best back in the draft. He was the 12th back taken and that could be to the Steelers' advantage.

Rashard Mendenhall is the top dog in the Steelers' backfield and he also may continue his role as their third-down back. As such, he will need relief. The only other back on the roster with real experience is Mewelde Moore. Frank Summers, whose rookie season ended with minor back surgery, and two players who spent much of last season on their practice squad, Isaac Redman and Justin Vincent, join them.

Dwyer will compete for the No. 2 job and also as a short-yardage back.

"This kid's had 1,300 yards in each of the last two years," said Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations. "He's a big kid, with deceptive speed and productivity. And again as a junior you still think he hasn't reached his full potential yet."

Dwyer's draft status fell once the interminable postseason analysis took over. A toe injury in the Orange Bowl set his training back before the combine, where he ran a 4.64 in the 40. He knocked that down to a 4.52 at his workout for scouts at Georgia Tech. There was confusion over a "failed" drug test at the combine, even though the NFL was made aware he was on medication for attention deficit disorder. Then there was Georgia Tech's triple-option, in which Dwyer lined up close to scrimmage with his hand on the ground. In the NFL, he will more often line up farther back and standing up. In his college system, he did not have to block nor catch much.

Either way, all those yards the past two seasons and the 6.2-yard average per carry meant something. And for those who looked deeper, Dwyer was Georgia Tech's second-leading rusher as a freshman, averaging 5.3 yards per carry under former coach Chan Gailey's pro style offense.

"He's a workhorse-type of running back, and he should excel at the next level as a runner," said Kirby Wilson, who coaches the Steelers' backs. "He's got some other things he's going to need to work on, but he does have some natural running ability. Again, when you are 230 pounds, that is a plus and that can't be taught."
Free agent rookie signings

The Steelers added a huge fullback and two safeties to their roster when they signed eight rookies who were not chosen in the draft. Demetrius Taylor of Virginia Tech becomes the team's only pure fullback, nearly the size of an offensive lineman at 6 feet, 273 pounds.

The other free agent rookies are guard Dorian Brooks (6-2, 306) of James Madison, safeties Justin Thornton (6-1, 213) of Kansas and Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith (6-2, 210) of UTEP, offensive tackle Kyle Jolly (6-6, 300) of North Carolina, defensive tackle Cordarrow Thompson (6-2, 301) of Virginia Tech, center/guard A.J. Trump (6-3, 300) of Miami and defensive end Lindsey Witten (6-4 1/2, 249) of Connecticut.

Added to their 10 draft choices, it leaves the Steelers with 90 players on their roster.
For more on the Steelers, read Ed Bouchette on the Steelers at www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10117...#ixzz0mRvyreuI
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485
Default Re: Steelers hoping Georgia Tech's Dwyer is a steal

Good God! 6' 273 Pounds......that dude is Huge!
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

I am not sold on Dwyer. I hope he proves me wrong but I'm afraid what you guys call a "steal" is basically a boom-or-bust draft pick.

When you say someone is a "steal" you have to wonder why. Did all the other teams (including the Steelers who waited this long to pick him) just forget about him or did they intentionally pass him over. If they forgot about him - then yes, he's a legitimate "steal.' But more than likely, in this day and age, they knew a lot about him and intentionally bypassed him.

Why? Because he has a high risk of being a bust. Most other teams felt that other players were better worth the risk than Dwyer. To me, that's not a "steal" - he was priced low on purpose. He may prove all the scouts wrong and be a booming star but 6th round "steals" come about twice a decade.

We thought guys like Kris Farris, Fred Gibson and Danny Farmer were steals and they were drafted higher. I gotta say, I am VERY PESSAMISTIC about Dwyer.

Before you think of me as a downer Steeler fan, I am very excited about Worilds, Sanders and Gibson and think that Pouncey was the most ready OL in the draft.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Kid looks pretty good to me.

Last edited by zulater; 04-27-2010 at 10:30 PM.
zulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

Old 04-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
MexicanSteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 16220

"Diesel" is gonna be a great complement to mendenhall...

GO STEELERS !!!!
MexicanSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i see him splitting carries with mendenhall in 2 years. he is the bettis type back we have been lacking since he retired to help beat up and wear down defenses in the 2nd half
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
vtw8lftr
Water Boy

Member Number: 15860

How about the tandem nickname:

Hall-n-Diesel
vtw8lftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
Boomerang
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7503

Like the look of this guy ,a great pick up imo.

"Don't doubt me, because that's when I get stronger.. ..Marvin Hagler
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote