Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts
Default Overwhelming Golden Tate love...

... or should i say overwhelming manlove for Golden Taint?

seriously... whats the deal? is it because notre dame is on national tv all the time? is it because he has been called the next hines ward?

if he really was the next hines ward (or even jerry rice) wouldnt he be a shoo-in for the first wr drafted and a sure-fire 1st round pick?

it stands to reason that if colt mccoy were called the next joe montana, he woulda gone a round earlier.

is it because we passed on what a ton of steelerfans perceived as the "best player available"? if this is the case, why is nobody upset we passed on jimmy claussen?

is it because he was a "need" and we didnt draft for "need"? a wr was really the least of our needs, plus we addressed it in the next round anyways (not to mention we it in the 3rd round last year and the 2nd round the year before).

so what gives? why do so many people keep bringing him up and why are so many upset that we passed on him? will he always be the golden standard this draft class is held against?

i swear you would think we passed on calvin johnson in the 2nd round.

but in reality is he anything more than what the browns brian robiskie was last year?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530
Default Re: Overwhelming Golden Tate love...

Come on Tony....We'd all be loving on some Tate if we drafted him.......
Old 04-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Come on Tony....We'd all be loving on some Tate if we drafted him.......
why?

i wasnt that big of a fan of a wr in the 3rd... let alone the 2nd.

im a much bigger fan of legitimate back ups to the 2 most important positions in dick lebeaus defense.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

I don't get it either. It's gotta be the name.

Question: Why doesn't Tate look all sweaty like the other players when he talks to the media after the game?

Answer: Golden showers before every interview.

MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe View Post
I don't get it either. It's gotta be the name.

Question: Why doesn't Tate look all sweaty like the other players when he talks to the media after the game?

Answer: Golden showers before every interview.

LOL

I ain't gonna lie I was crossing my fingers a little hoping we'd nab. He just seemed to fit the Steelers mold, and with Hines not getting any younger, Tate seemed like a good heir. But then again last draft I was crossing my fingers for Ray Malauga, and things turned out for the best with Ziggy Hood, while Ray was getting DUIs. I trust our FO to make the right picks
Old 04-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,751 Times in 1,583 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think Tate would have made us a good receiver but I am not going to cry because we didn't get him. We drafted a very good linebacker in Worlids people threw him to the dogs already and have not given him a chance to play. Just like Emmanuel Sanders people will be jumping on the wagon once this kid gets settled in.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

EMMANUEL SANDERS WILL STEP UP.

TATE WHO?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
is it because we passed on what a ton of steelerfans perceived as the "best player available"? if this is the case, why is nobody upset we passed on jimmy claussen?

is it because he was a "need" and we didnt draft for "need"? a wr was really the least of our needs, plus we addressed it in the next round anyways (not to mention we it in the 3rd round last year and the 2nd round the year before).
Those are both reasons for it. I think Tate was probably the BPA at that point in terms of pure talent at his position. Terrance Cody -- although a gamble -- would've been the best "need-based" pick. Although I'm sure others (who are unaware we picked two CBs last year) would say we should've taken the best available CB.
Worilds came as a shock because he wasn't the BPA and he wasn't a need-based pick. When you've already got talent and depth at a position, that's usually when you maybe take a guy in the fourth or fifth round and see if he turns out to be any good, and if not, oh well.

Also, while I don't think many people saw WR as a pressing "need" when Tate was on the board ... the fact that we took one in the next round was a definite WTF. If we were planning on taking a WR, why not take the good one that would be perceived as a major steal?

I know you think Worilds "wouldn't have been there" for us in Round 3, but I completely disagree on that one. I'm not saying he's a bad player by any means, but I really saw nothing that makes him stand out from the rest of the crowd that went in rounds 3-4. At worst, if someone else had their eye on him before our turn in the third, we could've traded up if he was that valuable to us.

A lot of this overall frustration is because every year, there are a couple top-level talents who fall into the second round, and we're rarely in a position to catch them. Either they don't fall low enough, or they're not at all compatible with what we're doing (See: Clausen). This year, we were extremely fortunate in several ways - we had a higher pick than normal ... the talented players fell further than normal ... there was more than one of them ... more than one was a decent fit for our needs, and one was an excellent fit ... and we had a ton of lower draft picks available to trade up with. It's pretty rare for all of that to come together for us. And then we go take a guy who's not that highly rated, who we might've gotten later, at a position where our future is not really in doubt, and we stand pat instead of making a move with our other picks.

Yeah. That got me kind of pissed.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

He's awesome, and i hate notre dame
Old 04-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
BigBen'sSwagger
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15463

I was pretty high on us taking tater as well because of the comparisons to Hines. Hey any chance we get to find another Hines I'm all for it. I am not so shocked that we didn't get Tater but that we probably coulda moved back to get Worilds and maybe had a few more picks to bolster our team. I must say that I am also concerned with past draft picks like Sweed who have not panned out.

I was preplexed why we would go after so many OLB's but hey what do I know???

All in all the draft is a crap shoot and if you are lucky a few come in and contribute in year one. Good luck to the new Steelers hope to see some of you on the field soon.