Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 04-28-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default New O-Line Scheme?

Hey guys,

I've searched the internet and I've searched the forums and I'm still stumped.

I'm trying to figure out whether or new O-Line coach will continue to use a zone blocking scheme or switch back to a power man scheme.

Does anybody know?

I would appreciate someone sharing this.

I can't believe it is so hard to find.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: New O-Line Scheme?

My understanding is that - for whatever reason - they have Kugler effectively sequestered from the media and the fans. So, who knows what the hell he's doing? Maybe they want to surprise everyone on just that issue?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,897 Times in 858 Posts

We'll see. With a new O-line coach I hope so...

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:56 AM   #4
Acerinox
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15579
My Mood: Lurking

I would be amazed if the Z-Plan zone blocking system continued. My understanding was the most of the guys hated it, and not all of them were comfortable improvising, or understanding what their assignments were supposed to be after plays broke down.

I'm looking for something a bit nastier from Kugler.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like it's hard to be truly aggressive on passing downs in a zone system, as over-committing is a cardinal sin. I like aggression. I saw one too many Benny-Hill moments last year, with the likes of Max Starks chasing dudes half their size around the place... and not enough potential blitzers lying on their azz with their legs in the air.
Acerinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
My understanding is that - for whatever reason - they have Kugler effectively sequestered from the media and the fans. So, who knows what the hell he's doing? Maybe they want to surprise everyone on just that issue?
I mean it is a simple question. I don't live in Pitt but I assume someone in the media has asked.

I really want to know whether this is minor improvemnt (staying with zone) or a drastic change (back to man). The change back to man can carry a boom or bust (If they do that) because this will be something new that they have not done for te past 3years. Whatever improvent in understanding the scheme will be gone. I'd like to try it though.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:06 AM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acerinox View Post
I would be amazed if the Z-Plan zone blocking system continued. My understanding was the most of the guys hated it, and not all of them were comfortable improvising, or understanding what their assignments were supposed to be after plays broke down.

I'm looking for something a bit nastier from Kugler.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like it's hard to be truly aggressive on passing downs in a zone system, as over-committing is a cardinal sin. I like aggression. I saw one too many Benny-Hill moments last year, with the likes of Max Starks chasing dudes half their size around the place... and not enough potential blitzers lying on their azz with their legs in the air.
If they change the line scheme, I hope the Steelers opt to count Ben in their 53. He will need to get used to the new scheme (and new receivers). If they count him, he will be able to practice wit the team and will be able tobe on te sidelines. If tey don't count him, he can only watch from a luxury box or not be there and he can't practice. Missing 4 weeks of practice would be crazy..
Old 04-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
If they change the line scheme, I hope the Steelers opt to count Ben in their 53. He will need to get used to the new scheme (and new receivers). If they count him, he will be able to practice wit the team and will be able tobe on te sidelines. If tey don't count him, he can only watch from a luxury box or not be there and he can't practice. Missing 4 weeks of practice would be crazy..
The word is he doesn't practice well anyway.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
The word is he doesn't practice well anyway.
It's not just Ben I want the receivers to be in sync with him...especially the number 3 receivers. This is especially true if Lefty wins the job. He bullets everyting and the ball comes out differently for a Left handed QB. Rotation is opposite and that might throw Sweed off...leading to more drops...lol
Old 04-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

They only situationally zone blocked in the past. it wasn't there standard MO. But they DID quite a bit of it. El-Gonzo will tell you we are not a zone blocking team, but to me this is like a dude having sex with a dude just occasionally. Do it once, and you're gay in my book.

Anyway, the personnel on this team is way better suited to man blocking, so I doubt we will deviate from that as our base scheme. But every team does SOME zone blocking now....
Old 04-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
I mean it is a simple question. I don't live in Pitt but I assume someone in the media has asked.

I really want to know whether this is minor improvemnt (staying with zone) or a drastic change (back to man). The change back to man can carry a boom or bust (If they do that) because this will be something new that they have not done for te past 3years. Whatever improvent in understanding the scheme will be gone. I'd like to try it though.
Nobody has come out and said anything about what to expect or what they will be doing. And in reality if you're only talking 3 years ago, about 1/2 of the guys were here then so its shouldnt be THAT big of a shock...not sure what the rookies did in school or J. Scott did in Buffalo but Starks, Kemo, Colon, and Essex were here if that 3 yr mark is correct...I really dont think it'd be that big of deal switching back to it...which I am thinking they will do.
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote