Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers daily digest: Free-agent fullback Demetrius Taylor in mold of Krieder

Steelers daily digest: Free-agent fullback Demetrius Taylor in mold of Krieder
April 28, 6:54 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...old-of-Krieder

PITTSBURGH - Remember Dan Kreider? He was the last true blocking fullback the Steelers had.

What made him so good at what he did, was the fact he had a blue collar work ethic and also was a high school linebacker, who played the game that way and wasn't afraid to lay down a punishing hit.

The Steelers may have found another guy in the mold of Kreider when they signed Virginia Tech's Demetrius Taylor to a free-agent contract. And while he is listed at 270 pounds, don't let the weight fool you.

This guy is a football player who has excelled at multiple positions during his career at Virginia Tech. He was recruited as a linebacker and began his career as a MIke linebacker. His junior year, Taylor was a defensive tackle, who moved over from the defensive end slot.

If there is one thing that stands out about Taylor, it's the fact he is strong. Just how strong? Taylor ranks first or second on the team in the power clean (360 pounds), push jerk (400), bench press (430) and back squat (600).

“What separates him on the field is his knowledge of the game and his discipline," his high school coach told reporters no long after he signed his letter of intent. " We need him to do a lot of stuff out there, and he has the discipline to stay within our system. His stats won’t amaze you, but he’s playing very effective within our defensive scheme. He does what he’s supposed to do.”

As of now, the Steelers have one fullback on its roster, Frank Summers, but he is also listed as a running back. Taylor will wear No. 38 for the Steelers.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832
Default Re: Steelers daily digest: Free-agent fullback Demetrius Taylor in mold of Krieder

If this guy cant become our True FB under Arians, then this guy can do damage on the field when it comes to STs. The guy is versatile and very athletic so its worth keeping a good eye on him.

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019
Default Re: Steelers daily digest: Free-agent fullback Demetrius Taylor in mold of Krieder

Goal Line Drill... Demetrius Taylor + Jonathan Dwyer

love it!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
Goal Line Drill... Demetrius Taylor + Jonathan Dwyer

love it!
one hell of a battering ram i hope
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

I would love to see us utilize the FB more but Arians doesn't seem to like it much.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
I would love to see us utilize the FB more but Arians doesn't seem to like it much.
Well with the boss man coming out and saying hey we need to run more/etc. I think Arians (for the sake of his job) is going to listen...
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:50 AM   #7
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
Well with the boss man coming out and saying hey we need to run more/etc. I think Arians (for the sake of his job) is going to listen...
I hope so. You can't have smash mouth football in my estimation without a bruiser of a FB leading the way for the RB's. POUND THE BALL ON 3rd and 1!
Old 04-29-2010, 03:37 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,337 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

It would help our running game a out a bunch if we could get back to the full back days. We seemed to struggle on those 3rd and ones and short and goal situations and one of those reasons is we didn't utilize the full back.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
I hope so. You can't have smash mouth football in my estimation without a bruiser of a FB leading the way for the RB's. POUND THE BALL ON 3rd and 1!
Hell, pound the ball on 2nd and 1! Or even 1st and goal from inside the 10. I'm not opposed to going with 3, 4 or even 5 wide. But we got so far away from being able to set up in a strong formation and pound it for 1 or 2 yards that it hurt us. BA just didn't see how our record suffered during the Tommy Gun days ... great passing attack and poor running = average win/loss record. I'm a fan of a balanced approach. The opposing defense needs to be concerned with our run and passing games equally. No one has feared our running game in 3 years. Well they can start to fear DT!

If Tomlin can go from being a 4-3 defensive minded coach to selling out for the 3-4, then BA can learn to appreciate the FB when we convert on run plays.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
Men of Steel
Starter

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

im having visions of POUNCEY PULLING AND KNOCKING OUT A LINEBACKER AND A TRUE BRUISING FULLBACK TAYLOR KNOCKING OUT ANY ONE IN HIS PATH AND CLEARING THE WAY FOR MENDENHALL AND DWYER.

this me likey allot.