Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
polamalubeast
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16032
Default Steelers' Tomlin fully sold on 3-4 defense

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...30.html?feed=9

Steelers' Tomlin fully sold on 3-4 defense
Buzz up!By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, April 29, 2010

The transition from staunch supporter of the 4-3 defense to 3-4 convert has been smooth and painless for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

Three years later, it's easy to forget that when Tomlin replaced Bill Cowher, he favored a four-man defensive front with a Cover-2 emphasis in the secondary.

Consider Tomlin entering his fourth season as a true believer in the 3-4 taught by defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau converted.

When describing 2010 draft picks Jason Worilds and Thaddeus Gibson, college defensive ends who will play outside linebacker in the Steelers' 3-4, Tomlin said, "Outside linebacker is their position or job description. We value that here in Pittsburgh. We believe that's a formula for winning football. They are big guys that can run."

Still entertaining thoughts the Steelers will eventually become a 4-3 team under Tomlin?

Considering that three of the Steelers' top seven draft picks were selected to play linebacker, and that none of them played traditional middle linebacker or outside linebacker positions in college, it's safe to suggest the 3-4 is here to stay.

"Watching some of the guys that played there before me, or now currently, I think I fit perfectly," said Worilds, a second-round pick from Virginia Tech. "With the types of rushes they have, those guys on the edge, I see myself in their mode. LaMarr Woodley, James Harrison physical, explosive types of edge rushers."

Linebackers coach Keith Butler said the Steelers project Worilds as a stand-up 3-4 linebacker even though he starred at defensive end.

"He's not a guy that you expect to stand up," Butler said. "A lot of guys you stand up early kind of struggle with opening their hips and dropping in pass coverage. He was able to do things that we wanted him to do that we think he can do in this system. It was a matter of us projecting him in this system, and I think he's a good fit for us."

Butler had similar good things to say about Gibson, a fourth-round pick who recorded four sacks, two pass breakups and one interception last season at Ohio State.

"He played some defensive end like a lot of the guys we take at outside linebacker," Butler said. "He stood up some at Ohio State. They do some similar things to what we do. It's not like we're seeing him at the position for the first time."

With their third selection in the fifth round, the Steelers took Utah outside linebacker Stevenson Sylvester, an edge pass rusher who will move inside.

Sylvester weighs 231 pounds after playing around 222 last season. Butler said the Steelers aren't concerned about Sylvester's smallish frame because their defensive scheme will keep blockers away from him.

"He, like a lot of inside linebackers this (size), struggles with big guys. But what we do in our system for our guys I think will help him," Butler said.

"Our inside linebackers are not 250-pound guys, with the exception of Lawrence Timmons. Lawrence looks like he weighs 210, but he's 250. (Larry) Foote is about 235 or 240. (Keyaron) Fox is about 240. James Farrior is 230, 235. I'm not concerned about his weight."

The Steelers also signed free-agent defensive end Lindsey Witten of Connecticut (6-foot-4 1/2, 250 pounds), who recorded 11 1/2 sacks as a senior. Witten is a natural for the Steelers because he's attempting to make the conversion to outside linebacker in the NFL.
polamalubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080
Default Re: Steelers' Tomlin fully sold on 3-4 defense

Not to mention the kid is what 22 or 23 and has a couple more years of actual growth left in him naturally. The dietitian and trainers will add some muscle to his frame if he gets serious enough. Three years out he will be up to 240 no problems.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
SteelKid212
Starter

Member Number: 13746

so many LBs.... dont know what to do with all of them!!!!

other teams offenses are gonna pay for years to come when they play us!!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKid212 View Post
so many LBs.... dont know what to do with all of them!!!!

other teams offenses are gonna pay for years to come when they play us!!!!
Dude, think about this:

Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, Gibson, and Worilds all lined up with just Big Snack and Ziggy Hood lined up on the defensive line.

If I were the QB, I would be crapping my pants at the sight of that.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Dude, think about this:

Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, Gibson, and Worilds all lined up with just Big Snack and Ziggy Hood lined up on the defensive line.

If I were the QB, I would be crapping my pants at the sight of that.
I would love to see them mix things up like this. I dont think theres any rules against it...as long as you have 11 guys on the field. That would be just awesome...all that speed and athletic ability on the field...and a big man cloggin up the middle haha. DO IIIIIIIT!
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
I would love to see them mix things up like this. I dont think theres any rules against it...as long as you have 11 guys on the field. That would be just awesome...all that speed and athletic ability on the field...and a big man cloggin up the middle haha. DO IIIIIIIT!
There have been plenty of times where the Patriots have used just one defensive lineman.

The rule is that there has to be 11 defensive players on the field. No rule to how many have to play what position.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723

Believe it or not, the drafting this year was geared towards depth AND Special teams. Once the Steelers got their guard/Center player of need, they started drafting for depth and SP. If anyone goes down at the linebacker position this year, Steelers wont miss a beat.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
Hotrodder07
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13485

I love our LB corps. Harrison, Woodley, Farrior, and Timmons are starters. Then you have Foote and Fox as veteran back-up ILBs. And now we draft 2 OLBs, in Worilds and Gibson, who both look like they have the potential to develop into more Woodley-like players. Sylvester as a possible future-starter beside Timmons after Farriors gone.

LB is one position we really don't have to worry about this season. If an ILB goes down, we have Foote and Fox to step up into the role. If an OLB goes down, and our new draft picks aren't ready, Timmons could move outside, and then we could have Foote or Fox inside.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodder07 View Post
I love our LB corps. Harrison, Woodley, Farrior, and Timmons are starters. Then you have Foote and Fox as veteran back-up ILBs. And now we draft 2 OLBs, in Worilds and Gibson, who both look like they have the potential to develop into more Woodley-like players. Sylvester as a possible future-starter beside Timmons after Farriors gone.

LB is one position we really don't have to worry about this season. If an ILB goes down, we have Foote and Fox to step up into the role. If an OLB goes down, and our new draft picks aren't ready, Timmons could move outside, and then we could have Foote or Fox inside.
Nice call, I almost forgot about Fox, that kid has mad potential.

Yeah, snapping necks and breaking spines this season. HERE WE GO!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
We ran multiple sets multiple times with just one down lineman (Hood) and just one other DL out there (Kiesel with his hand up).
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote