Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Gulf Oil Spill could become worst in US History

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
Well, hopefully the dolphins sell it back to us before it reaches Louisiana tonight.
Shouldn't you be directing your smarmy posts to the Brits? Because British Petroleum owns that rig that exploded and sprung a leak.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Not to mention the fact that when the Russians, Chicoms, and Castro regime drill in the same waters, we'll see a lot more of this. They don't put any value on the environment, whereas we at least try to avoid incidents like this.

Oh, and to our Cheaters fan, stay classy...this is real to people on the Gulf Coast whereas all you care about is using it to further your sick obsession with a former vice presidential candidate. You should be ashamed of yourself. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.
I'm not ashamed. I know this is not a joke. This pisses me off, more than you know. Wait until it affects the economy. What's more is that it was initiated by Obama, who campaigned against it.

This is why environmentalists had such apprehensions about rapid expansion of offshore drilling. In fact, this is probably much worse than what they feared. One mistake, and say "adiós!" to a percentage of the sea life in the Gulf.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #13
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
I'm not ashamed. I know this is not a joke. This pisses me off, more than you know. Wait until it affects the economy. What's more is that it was initiated by Obama, who campaigned against it.

This is why environmentalists had such apprehensions about rapid expansion of offshore drilling. In fact, this is probably much worse than what they feared. One mistake, and say "adiós!" to a percentage of the sea life in the Gulf.
The Gulf has bigger problems than this oil spill. We have an annual dead zone that covers thousands of square miles of water, and it's caused by agricultural runoff due mainly to subsidized corn production.

BTW, I'm no fan of Obama but this isn't his doing. Oil has been drilled in the central and western Gulf for decades. Obama wants to open some areas in the Atlantic, but even if he doesn't, other countries can drill at sites closer to the shore than this rig and there's nothing we can do to stop them.

ETA: Sorry for flying off the handle on you. I wrongly took your post as exploiting the disaster to ridicule Palin.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,839 Times in 2,095 Posts

Quote:

ETA: Sorry for flying off the handle on you. I wrongly took your post as exploiting the disaster to ridicule Palin.
honestly, i cant even tell anymore... is that a picture of her or tina fey?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:31 AM   #15
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

At least they learned alot from the Valdez spill about cleaning it up...........Dawn's stock just went up. What a horrible mess.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #16
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts

Quote:
The Gulf has bigger problems than this oil spill..
I doubt that - it doesn't get any worse than this. And the wellhead is in 5000 ft of water - too deep for easy fixes.

The only thing saving us here is the strong SE winds which are pushing the oil towards the mouth of the Mississippi, for now.
It could shift any which way

Third Horizon Leak Discovered: Spill Rate Grows To 210,000 Gallons A Day

Tiber oilfield that Deepwater Horizon was drilling contains a bottomless several billion gallons of oil, only several millions of which have leaked. In other words, this leaking could potentially spew 1,000,000 gallons of crude oil into the Gulf of Mexico until the leak is contained and stopped, which might be months from now.

Previous reports have shown that it will take weeks to even localize the spill for easier removal, and months to plug the leak with so-called "intervenion wells", as the attempt to activate the massive cut-off valve on the well via robotic sumbarine has failed, and attempts at experimenting with burning the slick in local regions are just beginning. At a rate of 200,000 gallons per day, the well leaks will expel 1,000,000 gallons oil.

Evidence has emerged that the new total leak rate is in excess of BP’s reported worse-case scenario response capacity.

About 210,000 gallons of oil per day has been leaking since the BP rig caught fire and sank …

It was heading for Louisiana’s fragile coastal wetlands – and $3 billion seafood industry – just as the shrimping season is set to begin.

BP is drilling a "relief well" to divert the oil, but it would take three months to complete, Suttles said.

http://seminal.firedoglake.com/diary/44083

Last edited by Fire Haley; 04-30-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #17
Fire Haley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Shouldn't you be directing your smarmy posts to the Brits? Because British Petroleum owns that rig that exploded and sprung a leak.
Boycott British Petroleum

Old 04-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #18
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

We have to drill. And I'd much rather have BP doing it, with some semblance of safety measures in place, some protocols in case of emergency, and some standards being adhered to then the Chinese or Mexicans doing it in the cheapest fashion possible.

No doubt, this is a sad tragedy. I wish there was some other way, but there isn't.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #19
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Listen, just get like 8 million Sham Wows down there and toss them in the ocean. Problem solved.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
Fire Haley
Banned

Impeach Obama. This is worse than Katrina.

The spill happened April 20, 11 days later, and it is still worsening? I thought we were getting a President that could actually respond to disasters, not lollygag while things get worse.