Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Allergies

I'm sure some of you can relate to my agony this time of the year suffering from seasonal allergies. This year, it seems to be worse than ever and I've been feeling like shit for the past several weeks.

Because of my sinus cancer history, I cannot take decongestants or antihistamines which only makes matters worse.

Do any of you allergy sufferers have any tips or home remedies on how to combat this issue? I'm about ready to lose my mind!!

Thanks in advance!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,829 Posts
Default Re: Allergies

http://health.howstuffworks.com/herb...-allergies.htm

http://health.howstuffworks.com/home...allergies3.htm

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

I have bad sinuses and sometimes get infections multiple times a year. While I mostly end up taking some kind of medicine for it, there's some good natural remedies as well.

You could use the old hot steam method or a bit of brandy (or whiskey), lemon and honey in tea method...but those never help me out that much by themselves. Although chopping up some garlic and adding it to the hot water works much better than steaming water alone. Stinky, but it clears the sinuses.

Spicy foods (jalepenos, cayenne pepper/poweder etc.) help mucus flow and open up the nasal passages.

Horseradish...and this may sound gross, but it works. Make a solution of 1 teaspoons of horseradish mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, it has the miraculous power of reducing that mucus and helps the drainage process. You can eat this solution straight or mix it with rice or potatoes if you experience a burning sensation when taking it straight.

Apple Cider Vinegar (better if used at the onset of a sinus infection). You can either add some to boiling water and use it as a steamer or mix 1/8 to 1/4 cup in 16 oz of water and sip it throughout the day. The other method is to gulp 2 TBSP of in 8 oz of water all at once.

I've never tried this method yet, but I've heard it works ok. Get yourself an actual root of the ginger plant and use a cheese grater to empty about 1/4 cup of the root into a pint of boiling water. Let it simmer for 15 minutes and then strain the results. Dip a washcloth into the pot until it is nice and damp and then cover your face to help with the nasal drainage.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Member Number: 9337

I thought my allergies were bad - I can't imagine not being able to take decongestants or antihistamines.

These things have worked to various degrees for me:

Boil hot water, pour it in a bowl, put towel over head and bowl and breath through your nose.

Neti pot - weird but once you get it done the first time, it gets addictive. very good for cleaning pollen out of your sinuses. Should do it a few times a day when experiencing crappy symptoms.

Local honey and local bee pollen. They work but you have to take the stuff all the time, even when you're feeling good. It's a 365 days a year thing with the pollen.

Advil. If you can, this reduces the swelling in your sinuses and takes the edge off. I take 3 if the pressure is bad.

Change your bedding every day, especially pillowcase - wash your hair twice a day when it's bad. the pollen collects in these places and constantly bombards you because it's so close to your face.

Supposedly there are certain foods that can aggravate the symptoms. Not sure about that one.

Feel better - hope any of that helps. Allergies are the bane of my existence too right now.

Almost forgot - drink more water than normal - a lot more. It thins the allergy loaded mucous and thats what you want - thinner stuff means less pressure etc...

Last edited by Leftoverhard; 05-01-2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: H20
Leftoverhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

Even though I can't really be a help here when it comes to allergies, I do hope that you feel better soon and I hope that everything is ok!
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:02 AM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Well... It won't be much help right now. But my suggestion is immunization shots.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
WH

Member Number:

wasabe peas. you can get em on the strip and about any gas station. take them to the game with you.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Thanks all for the tips and direction. I feel like a bus ran over me, as on top of the allergies - I have a sinus infection with bronchitis. I just completed a 10 day course of antibiotics (Augmentin 875 bid) and I don't think it really did all that much good.

SCM - Like you, I get multiple sinus infections every year no matter what the season, but mostly in the spring and winter. I don't have sinuses on the right side because of the 2 cancers and my left side has to work in overdrive. Ughhhh.

LH - I have heard that the Neti Pot is effective - have you personally tried it? I'm leaning in that direction.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
silver & black
Team Owner

Member Number: 1836

instead of a neti pot, I use one of those rubber bulbs that you use to de-snot a baby...LOL. I fill it with warm salt water and blast it through my sinuses. It works pretty good.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Steel Mountain
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11328

++++1 on the neti pot!!! I use one almost daily during allergy season. Get the one that comes with the solution tp put in it. Also, +1 on the local honey and bee pollen. I am a board certified nutritionist and swear by this method.
Steel Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote