Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-02-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ward believes in Steelers' young QB

Ward believes in Steelers' young QB
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_679148.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 2, 2010

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward saw how the coaching staff designed plays to capitalize on quarterback Kordell Stewart's unique ability to create with his arm and his legs.

Ward doesn't know who's going to win the quarterback battle to replace Ben Roethlisberger, but he believes third-year signal caller Dennis Dixon, like Stewart, can spread the field and keep defenses off-balance with his unique versatility.

"If he gets outside the pocket, he's more of a threat than anybody on our team,'' Ward said of Dixon, who is sharing reps with Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch during this weekend's minicamp that concludes today at the Steelers practice facility. "He's just as fast and explosive as a lot of defensive backs that probably wouldn't know how to attack him because they're not used to defending somebody like that.''

Ward, a third-round draft pick in 1998, joined the Steelers a year after Stewart, in his first season as a starter, led the Steelers to an 11-5 record and the AFC Championship Game.

Stewart enjoyed a career season in 2001, passing for more than 3,000 yards with 14 touchdown passes and five rushing touchdowns while earning a Pro Bowl berth. The Steelers, the top seed in the playoffs with a 13-3 record, lost to New England in the AFC Championship Game.

Asked if Dixon, a fifth-round draft pick, reminds him of Stewart, Ward replied: "He does. You take a Vince Young, and you see the type of season he had toward the end of last year (with the Tennessee Titans), and Dixon is really hitting all those molds.

"If he gets another opportunity, guys are going to compete for him.''

In his only NFL start against Baltimore last season, Dixon displayed flashes of his playmaking ability as a passer and runner.

Dixon tossed a 33-yard touchdown strike to Santonio Holmes that tied the score 7-7 in the second quarter. In the third quarter, Dixon scored easily on a 24-yard sprint, reaching the end zone untouched against a host of surprised defenders.

Dixon would like to incorporate more runs as he finds his comfort zone in the offense. Against Baltimore, however, Dixon tried to play within himself as offensive coordinator Bruce Arians called a simple game plan.

"Seeing that was my first start, I wanted to put my team in the best situation,'' Dixon said. "As things go along, yes, I want to go all out.''

Unfortunately, Dixon also displayed his inexperience late in that contest, throwing a third-down interception that led to the clinching field goal in Baltimore's 20-17 overtime win.

"The interception, the last-minute mistake, we can't fault him for that,'' Ward said. "He saw something he tried to take advantage of.''

Dixon received his first start as a late replacement for Roethlisberger, who was sidelined with a concussion. Dixon now has plenty of competition to become the starter as Roethlisberger is scheduled to miss as many as six games because of a suspension.

It appears to be a showdown between Leftwich, who continues to take snaps with the first-team offense, and Dixon, who is directing the second-team offense during this minicamp.

"I wouldn't say anyone is solidified as No. 1, No. 2 or No. 3,'' Dixon said. "We're getting quality reps between all three of us and (making) the most of it.''

Said Ward: "Whoever they decide to be the starter, we'll move forward from there.''

Ward said he believes in Dixon.

"He won over a lot of guys,'' Ward said. "You get named the starting quarterback the day before the game, going down to the lion's den in Baltimore - it's not an easy task for any quarterback. He held his own.

"We couldn't run certain plays because he didn't get all the proper reps he needed throughout the week - he only got 30 percent of the plays. That was the frustration with a lot of guys. Considering the circumstances, Dennis played his tail off.

"And he's getting better and better.''

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148
Default Re: Ward believes in Steelers' young QB

IMO, this kind of shows why Dixon should start. Give him a whole camp at the #1 QB he will take us to 3-1 or 4-0.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

You must let them compete in practice for it. An interview with Ward should not make anybody jump the gun. It could be Tomlin's plan to make Dixon sharper in his reads. He probably prefers Dixon starting, but does not want to annoint him, but make him improve to earn it.

Don't expect this to play out into the mess that was Cleveland between Anderson and Quinn.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
SMR
Starter

Member Number: 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllD View Post
You must let them compete in practice for it. An interview with Ward should not make anybody jump the gun. It could be Tomlin's plan to make Dixon sharper in his reads. He probably prefers Dixon starting, but does not want to annoint him, but make him improve to earn it.

Don't expect this to play out into the mess that was Cleveland between Anderson and Quinn.
I concur.

SMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Davison_K
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5369

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllD View Post
That is exactly what I don't want. Competition is healthy, but I don't want it switching every week and going into the season with zero qbs who are ready to compete or perform.

I honestly want to see what Dixon has. I would love for him to start. I am excited for the preseason to see who will come out on top between Lefty and Dixon. I don't even think Batch is really in the running.

Does anyone think Batch will be off the roster at the start of the season, or are they going to keep 4 qbs after Ben gets back?

Last edited by Davison_K; 05-02-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: annoyed by the quote not working
Davison_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802
My Mood: Cheeky

I just read somewhere that Leftwich was FOR SURE the starting QB now...
Old 05-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWitmyer View Post
I just read somewhere that Leftwich was FOR SURE the starting QB now...
nope
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Dixon will win the starting job for the suspension period.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,953 Times in 1,659 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

By all rights I think Dixon should get the start because he will be the man behind Ben for years. I think Leftwich will get the starting nod because of his experience. If Leftwich don't look sharp then he will be replace pretty quick.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Sounds like Ward would be ready to ride Dixon's arm/legs fulltime if given the chance.
Think he is tired BB childish and stupid act. I am just saying...
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote