Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ward: Don't worry about me

Ward: Don't worry about me
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_679142.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 2, 2010

A strained hamstring limited Hines Ward to the role of de facto coach Saturday at Steelers minicamp, but he said the injury is not a cause for concern -- especially with the regular season more than five months away.

"I'm trying to go into the season healthy," said Ward, who hurt his hamstring Friday after slipping during the morning practice session. "Trust me: Byron (Leftwich) or whoever's our starting quarterback, I'm going to get plenty of (work) with that guy."

The quarterback order yesterday didn't change from the day before; Leftwich ran the first-team offense, followed by Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch. One of them will start at least the first four games this season because of Ben Roethlisberger's suspension.

"I've caught balls from all of them, so I'm not going to go out there and stress myself during minicamp," Ward said.

Ward spent the past two days giving pointers to younger receivers, and they were no doubt eager to listen to him. Ward is going into his 13th season, and at 34 he is three years older than new receivers coach Scottie Montgomery.

Of that dynamic, Ward said, "I want him to evaluate me and still push me, because you get to a point where some guys think they know it all. But I'm never one of those guys."

Going back to Cali?

After today, the Steelers may not see a whole lot of Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu -- at least until training camp in late July.

The Steelers will hold their final mandatory minicamp practice this morning. The 12 sessions that follow minicamp are voluntary, and in recent offseasons Polamalu has trained in Southern California instead of attending.

Asked whether he will participate, Polamalu said, "It all depends on what Coach says, requires of me."

Under the collective bargaining agreement, coaches cannot demand a player attend voluntary sessions.

Harrison returns

Pro Bowl outside linebacker James Harrison returned to the South Side facility yesterday and took part in the afternoon practice.

Harrison missed the first three practices of minicamp after the death of his uncle. Coach Mike Tomlin granted him excused absences for the time he missed.

Private bidder

Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden apparently likes to do -- or, rather, keep -- his bidding behind closed doors.

When the Steelers reacquired McFadden last month in a trade with the Cardinals, "B Mac" had to go through second-year cornerback Keenan Lewis to get his No. 20 back. Lewis has since switched to No. 23, though McFadden wouldn't reveal what the number cost him.

"I won't answer that question," McFadden said with a smile. "We had a mutual agreement, a couple of conversations in phone and in person."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:32 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,292 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Ward: Don't worry about me

You just have to love Ward and what he means to this team. The man never quits I hate to see the day he says I am done. Give them hell this year Ward.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Ward: Don't worry about me

I found this little jewel on steelers.com...http://www.steelers.com/news/article...a-e81da18da355

Quote:
STEELERS NOTES: Of the hamstring injury that kept Hines Ward out of all but the first practice, Tomlin said, “Hines had a hamstring injury, but he is elderly. He’ll be fine.”
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote