Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Steel Bill
Water Boy

Member Number: 16233
Default Analyzing the AFC North

Baltimore Ravens...The Ravens were a very inconsistent team that had trouble producing big plays in the passing game and on defense. So they went out and added Anquan Boldin and two tight ends in the draft. On defense, they added a couple of guys who could be studs in Kindle and Cody, but they could also be huge disappointments If Kindle can't stay healthy and learn to cover, and Cody could eat himself of the roster. On paper, it seems they have improved and should be a stronger team this year.

Cincinnati Bengals...What the hell has gotten into the water over there? Two very good drafts in a row. Palmer has been given new weapons in Bryant, Shipley, and Gresham. The defense could continue to get better if Dunlap and Ghee play to their abilities and the rest of the squad stays healthy. After sweeping the division and making the playoffs last year, I think they could struggle a bit with the schedule. Can Lewis and Zimmer take them to the next level, I wouldn't bet my house on it at this point.

Cleveland Browns...After getting Delhomme, Wallace and McCoy, the brownies seem to be in a much better position at QB. With Harrison and Hardesty in the backfield, they should be OK. But, the receiving corps remains a huge question mark. The Browns played hard down the stretch and were led by a defense that goes all out for Rob Ryan. I think they are better with Holmgren running the show and should win 6-7 games this year.

Pittsburgh Steelers...While I wasn't enamored with our draft, I do think their a couple guys outside of Pouncey(who will be great) who could have an impact this year. Dwyer could become a very good back up to Mendy and help in short yardage and the 4th quarter. Sanders, while I think was taken 2 rounds to early, could develop into a nice slot receiver, working underneath with 8-12 yard routes and on the line with quit outs, allowing him to create after the catch. I'm not sure how much McFadden has left, but we need all the help we can get in the secondary. A healthy Troy is crucial for this defense. I still have concerns with the LBing corps and the O line. And of course the QB situation. Can we get off to a quick start without Ben, and how will he play when he returns. This year seems to have more question marks than in the past, but this team still has the talent and experience to win the division if we can stay healthy and keep Arians from getting pass happy again!

All in all, I think the division will be a dog fight between us, the Bungles and the Ravens. And the Browns could serve as a spoiler as the season plays out. Should be a very interesting season. Can't wait to get it started!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772
Default Re: Ananlyzing the AFC North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Bill View Post
. I still have concerns with the LBing corps
we can always draft a couple more to make you happy
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Steel Bill
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
we can always draft a couple more to make you happy
I'm all for drafting LBers, but drafting ones that are pro ready and can contribute this year would be even better!
Old 05-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

The Ravens are going to be the pre-season favorites, but we still gotta play the games.

I'm not sure there were many people last year that would have predicted the Bengals sweeping both the steelers and ravens. You never know.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Steel Bill
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
The Ravens are going to be the pre-season favorites, but we still gotta play the games.

I'm not sure there were many people last year that would have predicted the Bengals sweeping both the steelers and ravens. You never know.
Well said Mike, in today's NFL, you never know!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post

They still gotta score points to win.....Their corners hurt their chances at being great, but we'll see.....
Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

The Ravens could choke in the post season every year (or not make it at all) and Joe Flacco could have a passer rating of 40% and people would still be predicting them to win the AFC North in the preseason.

Granted, they did seem to make some good acquisitions in free agency and the draft, but I swear, analysts talk them up every year and they're never that great.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
The Ravens could choke in the post season every year (or not make it at all) and Joe Flacco could have a passer rating of 40% and people would still be predicting them to win the AFC North in the preseason.

Granted, they did seem to make some good acquisitions in free agency and the draft, but I swear, analysts talk them up every year and they're never that great.
Ok, I have to take issue with that. In 2008 Flacco was a third-string rookie QB who was destined to hold a clipboard behind Kyle Boller and Troy Smith for at least his first season. Then Boller was out for the year, lost to a preseason injury, while Smith went down in Week 3 of the preseason with an infection that pushed Flacco into the starting role. No one, and I mean no one with any football smarts, was "talking up" Baltimore and predicting them to win a AFCN title.

Now last season, yeah, they did. After going to the AFCC, the Ravens were picked as a favorite to win the AFCN and/or the SB. But they have never been a team that is talked up as a possible conference champion or SB team year after year after year.

Hopefully (to me), that may change. But in reality, the only thing the Ravens have been consistently talked about over the years is having a great defense. And truth be told, even I get nauseous hearing about "that vaunted, hard-hitting and stifling Ravens defense" when the score is 27-10 in the third quarter.....and Baltimore ain't got the 27.
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
Ok, I have to take issue with that. In 2008 Flacco was a third-string rookie QB who was destined to hold a clipboard behind Kyle Boller and Troy Smith for at least his first season. Then Boller was out for the year, lost to a preseason injury, while Smith went down in Week 3 of the preseason with an infection that pushed Flacco into the starting role. No one, and I mean no one with any football smarts, was "talking up" Baltimore and predicting them to win a AFCN title.

Now last season, yeah, they did. After going to the AFCC, the Ravens were picked as a favorite to win the AFCN and/or the SB. But they have never been a team that is talked up as a possible conference champion or SB team year after year after year.

Hopefully (to me), that may change. But in reality, the only thing the Ravens have been consistently talked about over the years is having a great defense. And truth be told, even I get nauseous hearing about "that vaunted, hard-hitting and stifling Ravens defense" when the score is 27-10 in the third quarter.....and Baltimore ain't got the 27.
I hear ya, man... mainly because I get tired of hearing Pittsburgh's defense talked up that way too after I see them blow a fourth quarter lead (which they did a LOT last year). The trouble there is that while the Steelers defense is very good, the schemes they use rely on every piece to be in place. If a key player is gone... there goes the game. Secondary with Troy? Brilliant. Without him? Toast. D-Line with Aaron Smith? A brick wall. Without him? Not terrible but not great either.

But anyway, as for you guys... I seriously envy your running game right now... if we had that O-Line and an RB like Rice then I'd be feeling a lot safer with Big Ben being out for 4-6 games.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
pancake
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Bill View Post
I'm all for drafting LBers, but drafting ones that are pro ready and can contribute this year would be even better!
I would rather draft ones that fit our team, even if we have to wait a year.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote