Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #21
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: The All-American Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
They are willing to put the time and effort into it (well most of them anyways). Most illegals come into this country with nothing in their pockets though (hence the main reason they come here) and it costs over a thousand dollars (at once) to become a citizen. That's the part I feel the government needs to make easier.
As opposed to the scrimping and saving many of them do to pay a "coyote" to smuggle them in at a cost that's typically several times that amount? However, I agree that the process could be expedited on our end by removing at least some of the bureaucratic red tape involved. Perhaps if the process were made a bit quicker, the services of the "coyotes" would be less sought after.

Last edited by fansince'76; 05-04-2010 at 01:01 AM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:01 AM   #22
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
I wish they would spend the money to add the safety measures that would drastically cut down on the number of people dying in that canal.

This transcends the issue of illegal immigration and has become, in my opinion, one of humanity.

Regardless of how you might feel about what's happening at our borders, surely nobody here wishes these people dead - right?
You clearly haven't been paying attention during your tenure to our resident Do-Gooder Society Members here at SFF. Regular humanitarians, each and every one of them.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:36 AM   #23
GoSlash27
Team Captain

Member Number: 3225

I've got a safety measure for ya: Don't get in the (*&^in' water.
They should rename it (in Spanish) "The Canal of a thousand lost souls" and post a picture of every single body found in it right on the fence.

This is not an amusement park ride. It's not the underground railroad. It is a canal.
If anything, they should make it completely impossible to get out of it alive. Whirling blades, concertina wire, snipers.

If you make it safer, that'll just encourage more people to get in. Then when somebody dies they can sue.
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #24
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
They should rename it (in Spanish) "The Canal of a thousand lost souls" and post a picture of every single body found in it right on the fence.

This is not an amusement park ride. It's not the underground railroad. It is a canal.
If anything, they should make it completely impossible to get out of it alive. Whirling blades, concertina wire, snipers.

If you make it safer, that'll just encourage more people to get in. Then when somebody dies they can sue

Exactly!

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #25
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post

If you make it safer, that'll just encourage more people to get in. Then when somebody dies they can sue.
Alright, I laughed at that. A bit crude, but it would certainly solve a lot of problems. We don't need to make it completely impossible to get out alive...just make it impossible to get on our side without going through a guarded checkpoint. Everything else is concertina wire, whirling blades etc... (Whirling blades...I'm picturing those things from "Phantasm")
Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #26
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,263 Times in 1,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
You clearly haven't been paying attention during your tenure to our resident Do-Gooder Society Members here at SFF. Regular humanitarians, each and every one of them.
Why don't we just build a bridge and call it "Free Pass".

Quote:
(Whirling blades...I'm picturing those things from "Phantasm")
Just have the little orb's patrol the canal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #27
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
Alright, I laughed at that. A bit crude, but it would certainly solve a lot of problems. We don't need to make it completely impossible to get out alive...just make it impossible to get on our side without going through a guarded checkpoint. Everything else is concertina wire, whirling blades etc... (Whirling blades...I'm picturing those things from "Phantasm")
Thats what I was saying with my original suggestion. Put some ladders and stuff on the Mexican side so when they realize they cant get out on our side t least they don't have to drown
Old 05-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #28
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
Thats what I was saying with my original suggestion. Put some ladders and stuff on the Mexican side so when they realize they cant get out on our side t least they don't have to drown
Still need guarded checkpoints on our side...just in case. If they're not one of ours...we send em right back to Mexico. Might also catch a few criminals on our side that need to be brought to justice. Just a few ladders on our side...but every one has a small squad of guards.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #29
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
They need to streamline the process to become a citizen so people will be more willing to go the legal route. These people obviously want to be here, we should be encouraging people to become citizens not making it so hard that people are willing to risk their lives coming in like this.

And for all the people that don't feel bad about the 500+ people ding for lack of safety measures there was a United State border control officer that died in the canal also while trying to save his Dog. Not that it should matter, people are people.

Crossing the border isnt even considered a felony, its just a misdemeanor, much closer to a traffic violation then robbing a store
Robbing a store is a misdemeanor depending on what you steal.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #30
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts

i still think stocking crocs is the best idea ...

[YOUTUBE] [/YOUTUBE]

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote