Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
polamalubeast
Starter

Member Number: 16032
Default Why Bruce Arians Is the Pittsburgh Steelers' True Achilles' Heel

Why Bruce Arians Is the Pittsburgh Steelers' True Achilles' Heel
by David Law Correspondent Written on May 02, 2010
Gregory Shamus/Getty Images The four-to six-game suspension handed down to Ben Roethlisberger by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will hamper the franchiseís attempt to return to prominence in the AFC.

The Steelersí defense should return to form with the return of cornerback Bryant McFadden and the healthy status of Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith. If the defense can play close to the level of their 2008 season, then opposing offenses have something to worry about.

The Steelersí offense is another matter.

Roethlisberger will miss at least the first four games, and possibly more. Star receiver Santonio Holmes was traded to the Jets after running afoul of the NFLís substance abuse policy.

But neither of those two developments represent as much of a handicap to the teamís offense as does the continued presence of Bruce Arians in the role of offensive coordinator.

Arians has orchestrated an offensive metamorphosis that has seen the Steelers evolve from a team that runs effectively to set up the pass into a team that thinks pass first and run second.

In so doing, Arians has changed the teamís identity.

Arians refuses to utilize a fullback in his offense, instead occasionally slipping in a backup tight end such as Sean McHugh or David Johnson. Any confusion about Ariansí feelings regarding fullbacks were clarified in this quote from him prior to last season: ďI don't have a fullback. There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one.Ē

So the Steelers slowly graduated into a team that passes first and runs second. But in that process the Steelers seem to have lost the ability to turn to a power running game when needed.

Short-yardage conversions have become nail-biting time for Steeler fans who were accustomed to seeing Jerome Bettis power over the middle behind a crushing block by fullback Dan Kreider. Bettis and Kreider are gone now, and with them went some of the Steelersí swagger.

The Steelers have a competent running back in Rashard Mendenhall, but he is rarely given a sufficient number of carries to get into a complete rhythm. Too often he seems to have to deal with an opposing linebacker before he even reaches the line of scrimmage. Those spin moves that sometimes frustrate fans are too often out of necessity as he ad libs a move to beat a defender before he can even hit the hole.

So if Arians has moved Pittsburgh in the direction of a passing-oriented offense, he must have lots of trick plays in his repertoire, right? Unfortunately, no.

In fact, predictability has become a hallmark of this team.

Rarely do we see the option passes or gadget plays that former coach Bill Cowher so enjoyed unleashing on unsuspecting defenses. Not only that, but Arians seems adverse to incorporating misdirection plays or screen passes, both of which work against defenses salivating at the prospect of sacking Roethlisberger yet again.

When Roethlisberger was unable to start against the Baltimore Ravens last year in Week 12, backup Dennis Dixon was forced to take the start with very little practice time. Dixon is a remarkable athlete: a quick-footed, elusive runner with that ability to break containment and keep a defense guessing.

Unfortunately, Arians seemed committed to keeping Dixon in the pocket instead of employing roll-outs, and Arians had no answer for the defensive adjustments Baltimore made at halftime.

The loss in Baltimore seemed to sum up one of Arians' defining characteristics: his insistence on making players fit his system instead of adjusting his system to fit his players.

So an offensive line thatís better at run-blocking is forced to pass-block. A fragile quarterback who gets sacked more than 50 times a season? Keep dropping him back with little protection and hope for the best.

Does your offense feature a running back in Willie Parker whose strength is turning the corner or going off-tackle? Run him up the gut on first down and hope for the best. Got a QB like Dixon who needs to get outside the box to be most effective? Keep him inside the pocket and hope for the best.

Does anyone see a pattern here?

Ariansí stubbornness is putting the success of the franchise at risk. Yes, the Steelers have won the Super Bowl with Arians as OC, but they won despite Arians, not because of him.

They won thanks to a strong defense and a once-in-a-generation quarterback who frequently made things happen on broken plays. Roethlisberger always seems most effective running a hurry-up offense, where he calls the plays at the line of scrimmage instead of having them called in by Arians.

If the Steelers are my reality show, the first one that I am voting off the island is Bruce Arians.
polamalubeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Why Bruce Arians Is the Pittsburgh Steelers' True Achilles' Heel

i dont know what that writer means when he says "an offensive line who is better and run blocking is being forced to pass block." Our offensive line was horrible as run blocking last year
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Send him back to the Brownies.....
Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Tone's Toes
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14418

I don't like BA, but I think the NFL has changed and you have to throw the ball to win. I don't think you'll win by running the ball all the time anymore. You just need to be able to run the ball enough to keep teams honest and run some time off in the 4th quarter, but that's it. We don't have an O-Line capable of running it down your throat in the 4th quarter, though.
Tone's Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Sweet! A fresh Bash Bruce Thread!!! I'm so happy
Old 05-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone's Toes View Post
I don't like BA, but I think the NFL has changed and you have to throw the ball to win. I don't think you'll win by running the ball all the time anymore. You just need to be able to run the ball enough to keep teams honest and run some time off in the 4th quarter, but that's it. We don't have an O-Line capable of running it down your throat in the 4th quarter, though.
How often did the jets pass with sanchez?

its still a winning formula....just not as popular
Old 05-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,381 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushHard34 View Post
How often did the jets pass with sanchez?

It helps when teams like the Colts lay down and let you back into the postseason too....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
It helps when teams like the Colts lay down and let you back into the postseason too....
you just had to remind me....lol, that sucked
Old 05-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Prok
Team Captain

Member Number: 8921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone's Toes View Post
Good post. To me, it's never been about the run to pass ratio. I think it's a big mistake thinking our problems are that simple.

It's allllll about the predictability and play-calling imo.

And I do agree that our offense is wayyyyyyy more effective when Ben runs the no-huddle. But noooooooo we're too stubborn to let it happen. We could be even better than the K-gun that Buffalo ran back in the day IMO.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
California-Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11917

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushHard34 View Post
This comment is right on the mark. Too bad a lot of these young-ens like the flash over the tried and true.