Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Harris: Polamalu braced for worst in 2009

Harris: Polamalu braced for worst in 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_679364.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, May 4, 2010

It takes a lot to worry Steelers safety Troy Polamalu.

Polamalu was one worried football icon last season.

Polamalu suffered more than a knee injury that knocked him out of 11 games in 2009. He also lost peace of mind as he watched his star-studded career including five Pro Bowl appearances in seven years flash before his eyes.

"Yes, it was a concern," said Polamalu, who attended the team's mandatory minicamp last weekend. "The hardest thing was if I would have injured it again, the doctor was saying that it will be a career-ending injury, most likely.

"I had to face that."

Facing the reality of suffering a torn ligament in his left knee, Polamalu reluctantly wore a brace although not all the time, as the Steelers requested.

Polamalu, who hates how the brace restricts his movement, loves playing football. At 29, he isn't ready for the retirement home.

If he didn't wear a brace last year, Polamalu was told there was a possibility his career would end prematurely.

So ...

A man's got to do what a man's got to do.

"In the past, I had to wear a brace because it was career-threatening. A career-ending injury if I would have sustained another injury," said Polamalu, explaining why he didn't play down the stretch last season despite coach Mike Tomlin leaving the door open for his return.

Polamalu injuring the knee twice last season coupled with his unsettling injury history that cost him 19 games since 2006 is why I believed the Steelers would select a safety such as USC's Taylor Mays early in this year's draft. Mays fell to the San Francisco 49ers in the second round.

Much to my surprise, the Steelers took Florida offensive lineman Maurkice Pouncey in the first round, Virginia Tech outside linebacker Jason Worilds in the second round, SMU wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders in the third round and Ohio State outside linebacker Thaddeus Gibson in the fourth round. The team addressed Polamalu's injury history by signing two undrafted free agents at safety.

Which means the Steelers are counting on Polamalu making a full recovery.

That said, I had no idea that Polamalu's injury watching a replay of his knee bent under his body in last year's opener against Tennessee will turn your stomach was as potentially devastating as he described.

Asked how close he came to actually having surgery instead of electing to rehabilitate his knee a process that took 4-to-6 months Polamalu said it was touch and go for a while.

"It depends on how it heals. If it didn't heal correctly, I guess maybe I would have needed surgery," Polamalu said. "And if I would have needed surgery, it would have been career-threatening."

Not to mention season-threatening for the Steelers, who finished 9-7 one year after winning Super Bowl XLIII including a 5-6 record in games Polamalu missed because of injury.

That's why Polamalu who prefers training on his own during the offseason and isn't a big fan of participating in minicamps and voluntary practices wanted to test his knee during recent team workouts in shorts and pads.

He said his knee feels much better. However, he added some words of caution.

"Right now, I feel fine," Polamalu said. "(But) I don't know what happens when we start tackling."

Since the Steelers don't play flag football, Polamalu's words are chilling.

On the bright side, Polamalu is excited about the Steelers' defense again.

"You can point your fingers at a lot of things, but we were still one game away from the playoffs last year," Polamalu said. "We still lost (all) seven games by seven points or less. We didn't have that bad of a year.

"We're going to have a lot more team chemistry this year. (Defensive end) Aaron Smith is healthy. (Linebacker) Larry Foote and (cornerback) Bryant McFadden are back. Chemistry is the difference, especially what kind of defense we play. We play with a lot of communication, a lot of feel.

"Teams are making that final push, thinking this is going to be the last season for a couple of years (due to a potential lockout). The (New York) Jets are making a push, trying to get talent. The Steelers are making a push, trying to get chemistry. That's been the key to our success."

Along with Polamalu's return to the lineup in 2010.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Re: Harris: Polamalu braced for worst in 2009

"Teams are making that final push, thinking this is going to be the last season for a couple of years (due to a potential lockout)."

Huh?? Seriously?

So the world could end in 2012 with 2010 being the last NFL season. What does everybody think about that? Aside from "we have 6". What if the cowpies or the 9ers won it this year and it ended at 6 all?

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

"Right now, I feel fine," Polamalu said. "(But) I don't know what happens when we start tackling."

We're doomed anyway
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,656 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Sounds like to me he made the right call that would have truly sucked if he would have shortend his career due to an injury.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Sounds like our Troy is going into the season with a very positive 'tude and kudos to him for sticking with what the docs told him to do. I know we're all looking forward to seeing Taz back out there on the field kicking ass and mowing down opponents!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

The questions is can he take the wear and tear he puts on his body? I sure hope so.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Dudes are you nuts...........It is a different league since the last strike.......There is way way way more money invovled and money to be lost.........They will take a hit to keep the games going.........1982 who cares........2010......Football is a money machine......and that will throw the wrench into it.............Kerplunk.......
Old 05-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

The entire Steeler Nation welcomes Troy back! It will be fun watching Troy making all kinds of plays for this defense in 2010. And please stay healthy
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote