Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-04-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,069 Times in 1,296 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steelers have doubts at wide receiver with Holmes' departure

To use a hockey phrase, the Steelers are even in the plus-minus column on wide receivers since the day before the NFL draft, plus-2 since free agency began.

They traded Santonio Holmes to the Jets, drafted two wide receivers and lost Limas Sweed, who had surgery Monday to repair an Achilles tendon injury. They signed free agent wide receivers Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle in March.

So, where does that leave them as a group?

"I don't know. We'll see this season," Hines Ward said, then laughed. "Can we do it? Yes. It's to be determined, really. We won a Super Bowl with Randle El, myself and Cedric Wilson. So, it's not like it can't be done."

Those were not ringing words of confidence from the leader of the wide receivers. No one knows how the loss of Holmes will affect the passing game. Sweed did little in his first two seasons so his injury will not have much effect other than the fading hope he would develop into the kind of productive receiver he was at Texas.

Little will be known about the two rookie draft picks, Emmanuel Sanders (third round) and Antonio Brown (sixth), for a while. Sanders could be another Wallace or another Willie Reid, both drafted in the third round.

"It's much too early to tell because no one got hit this weekend," coach Mike Tomlin said at the conclusion of his three-day minicamp. "And that's a pretty big element of the game, particularly from a receiving standpoint. Everyone looks courageous in shorts. But we got plenty of time for that to sort itself out."

Wallace is vital to that process. He led the NFL with a 19.4-yard average per catch his rookie season, when he caught 39 passes for 756 yards and tied for the team lead with six touchdown receptions. He moves into Santonio Holmes' spot as the split end and while many assume his production will rise in his second season and as a starter, more is expected of him as well.

"It's just how defenses see me now will be different," Wallace said. "I have to be ready for that. I've been on the outside the whole time. I'm at a different position now. Now I'm on the backside by myself. It's a little harder, but I'm up for the challenge."

The difference in positions means when the Steelers use three wide receivers, the split end usually is alone on one side with Ward in the slot and another receiver next to him on the outside, Wallace's position last season. Unless one of the rookies comes on quickly, that third receiver won't have the big-play ability of Wallace or Holmes. It means defenses can concentrate on one deep receiver, Wallace.

"A lot of pressure wasn't put on him last year, he just fell into it and had a phenomenal rookie season," Ward said. "I told him he's getting his opportunity and that's all you ever ask for. That's why you come into this league, an opportunity to start and right now he's doing well.

"We have high expectations for him this year. I think we'll be fine. We added El, and Arnaz adds depth, but I really like Mike. He's really come along. The sky's the limit with him. If he can continue to get better each day, I look for big things from him.

Tight end Heath Miller had his most productive season as a receiver, too, catching 76 passes for 789 yards and six touchdowns.

"Heath's a valuable weapon," Ward said. "Of course losing Santonio hurts us depth-wise, but I still think we have some great talent. Mike is still the fastest guy on this team. He's going to blow the coverage off. He's going to make defenses play cover 2, play honest. Heath, myself and Antwaan are pretty good after the catch."

With Battle and possibly one of the rookies, that would give them five wide receivers, their usual number.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10124...#ixzz0mwuGRm3z
Old 05-04-2010, 05:32 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Steelers have doubts at wide receiver with Holmes' departure

I'm not worried at this point about the Steelers WR's. Again - TC hasn't even begun and already the media is trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

I think we'll improve this year. Why? Because we will run more to set up the receivers.That's why. Like you said HG, I'm not worried.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

"I don't know. We'll see this season," Hines Ward said, then laughed. "Can we do it? Yes. It's to be determined, really. We won a Super Bowl with Randle El, myself and Cedric Wilson. So, it's not like it can't be done."
----
This was exactly my thought before I read the article. Right now, no concerns.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Wow

We're barely out of mini-camp and the sky is already falling...
(cue cat)
Old 05-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

oh o.........Chicken Little is back..............And he tied Dudley Doright to the tracks.........And he wrote an article, just to take up space in his newspaper he SELLS, before the train comes and crushes him to his death...............
Old 05-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

The Steelers have put a lot of eggs in the Mike Wallace basket..that is for sure.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I think it was Tony who pointed out that we have two Rookie WR's who racked up over 1,000 yards this last year and both run in the low 4.4's. We could have MUCH bigger problems.

I mentioned before that if you look at the tape on Sanders....he shows ELITE jumping ability. At the combine he had the best broad jump of all WR's with a 10'6...and he had a VERY respectable verticle jump of 39.5...with the best verticle among Wr's being just above that at 41.5 inches.

To put that in perspective....only one drafted CB was able to jump that high, and he was the Steelers 5th round draft choice... Crezdon Butler.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
The Steelers have put a lot of eggs in the Mike Wallace basket..that is for sure.
that the fact jack

We still have time to get T.O.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
Set-Man
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12795

It will be nice to see what Sanders can do. I agree it will take him at least a season or two to get the playbook. Teach him a few routes and throw him out there. We need some more speed on the other side of Wallace. The thing that makes me more comfortable with the receiving corps is having Miller in there.

T.O.? Are you kidding me? I'd rather get Holmes back (with a 5th round pick that is).
Set-Man is offline   Reply With Quote