Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803
Default Bengals and Pacman Close to Deal

Quote:
Bengals, 'Pacman' working on multiyear contract; signing imminent

NFL.com Wire Reports

Cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones received a second look from the Cincinnati Bengals on Tuesday, and his signing with the team is imminent after an impressive workout, a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.

Jones' representative, Ray Savage, had several conversations with the Bengals during the cornerback's visit, the source said, and the sides have the nucleus of a multiyear deal in place.

Savage and the Bengals expect to put the contract to paper this week, La Canfora reported, and Jones should join the team's offseason program Monday. Savage declined to comment, but did confirm the sides were in negotiations.

The Bengals, Detroit Lions and San Francisco 49ers reportedly showed the most interest in Jones, who was released by the Dallas Cowboys after the 2008 season and didn't play last year. All three attended a private workout in March held by Jones, 26, who has seen his NFL career bottom out because of his repeated arrests and off-the-field trouble.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Jones for the entire 2007 season and for six games with the Cowboys in 2008 for violating the NFL's personal-conduct policy.

Jones went to the University of West Virginia, along with late Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry. The two of them got into so much trouble with their NFL teams that Goodell toughened the league's disciplinary policies.

The Bengals released Henry in 2008 following his fifth arrest. Team owner Mike Brown then referred to himself as a "redeemer" and did an about-face, bringing Henry back against the wishes of coach Marvin Lewis. Henry died in a fall from a pickup truck driven by his fiancee last year.

The Bengals became more cautious about signing troubled players after they had 10 arrested during a 14-month span. Henry and linebacker Odell Thurman were the main offenders, drawing repeated suspensions beginning in 2005.

The team has softened its stance in the last two years, bringing in players on low-risk deals. Running back Cedric Benson was released by the Chicago Bears after two alcohol-related arrests -- the cases were dropped after grand juries declined to indict -- and the Bengals signed him to a minimal financial deal during the 2008 season. The Bengals took the same approach last year with running back Larry Johnson, who received a minimal contract before eventually leaving to sign with the Washington Redskins as a free agent after the season.

In February, the Bengals signed wide receiver Matt Jones, who didn't play in the NFL last season, to a minimal one-year deal. Jones was charged with cocaine possession and with violating a plea agreement, prompting the Jacksonville Jaguars to release the former first-round draft pick after the 2008 season.

Jones, though, has the longest history of off-the-field problems.

The Titans drafted Jones sixth overall in 2005, expecting him to be a cornerstone of their defense for years. Instead, he was arrested six times and involved in 12 instances requiring police intervention. The Cowboys traded for Jones in 2008, but he got into trouble again, drawing the six-game suspension for an alcohol-related scuffle with a team-provided bodyguard.

Jones appeared in nine games with the Cowboys, starting six, but failed to record an interception. He also returned punts and averaged just 4.5 yards, prompting the Cowboys to release him after the season.

The Bengals have one of the NFL's best cornerback tandems in Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall, who had six interceptions apiece last season. The defense finished fourth in the league, one of the main reasons that Cincinnati won the AFC North with a 10-6 record.

The Bengals also drafted Wake Forest cornerback Brandon Ghee in the third round last month, looking for depth at the position.

The Cincinnati Enquirer reported that former Miami Dolphins safety Gibril Wilson also was in town Tuesday to work out for the Bengals. Wilson, a six-year NFL veteran, has played for the New York Giants and Oakland Raiders.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true
Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Bengals and Pacman Close to Deal

Quote:
The Bengals became more cautious about signing troubled players after they had 10 arrested during a 14-month span.
Ummmm, Ok.

Anyone who is smart will take one look at "Pacman" and waka-waka-walkaway.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

i dont get it. Was he really even THAT good before when he was playing with the titans or cowboys to garner so much media attention?

I'll admit, i saw him break up some good plays as a cowboy but, seriously??
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

Quote:
Instead, he was arrested six times and involved in 12 instances requiring police intervention. The Cowboys traded for Jones in 2008, but he got into trouble again, drawing the six-game suspension for an alcohol-related scuffle with a team-provided bodyguard.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:22 AM   #5
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
i dont get it. Was he really even THAT good before when he was playing with the titans or cowboys to garner so much media attention?

I'll admit, i saw him break up some good plays as a cowboy but, seriously??
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

He'll thrive under the super scrutiny of Marv Lewis' tough "12 strikes and you're still not out" discipline.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
He'll thrive under the super scrutiny of Marv Lewis' tough "12 strikes and you're still not out" discipline.
Its like Batting Practice, youre only out till your session is over hahaha.

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

This is exactly why I will NEVER accept the notion that the Steelers are "just like every other team" when it comes to bad apples.

Bullshit.

It's one thing to unknowingly let the occasional fox into the henhouse (and then get him out of there upon discovery, ala the Steelers), it's another thing entirely to keep him, and even yet another things to openly and knowingly leave the front gate open....
Old 05-06-2010, 01:42 AM   #9
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

"Just win, baby."

I like the move...the Bengals really needed a 3rd corner and if Pacman can play anywhere near his potential, he would make a pretty formidable trio with Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph. Not to mention, he could add an entirely new dimension to the Bengals' return game. If he's playing sub-par or he misbehaves he'll be gone before the season starts...same deal with Matt Jones. It may not be the most image-friendly move, but it's the kind of move that the Bengals need to make if they want to fend off the Steelers and Ravens again this season.

The reclamations of Cedric Benson and Tank Johnson have worked so far...here's hoping this move will be more of the same. Plus, Pacman was a good friend of Chris Henry's...it seems oddly appropriate that he would end up on his team. Hopefully he'll remember how things turned out for Chris and not repeat his mistakes.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

"Just win, baby"...which is just another way of saying "Win, at ANY cost".

That's why I'm proud to be a Steelers fan. I know that as long as the Rooney's are involved, I'll never have to set aside integrity and character in order to support my team.