Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-05-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Bevy of LBs has Steelers' Butler beaming

No one was happier with the Steelers' bounty from the recent NFL Draft than linebackers coach Keith Butler.

The Steelers selected three linebackers, including two outside 'backers Jason Worilds and Thaddeus Gibson among their top four selections.

"Glory hallelujah!'' Butler joked after the Steelers drafted Stevenson Sylvester in the fifth round, the third linebacker selected for Butler to coach.

Even before the draft, the Steelers were well-stocked at linebacker. There are veterans James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley and Andre Frazier on the outside, and James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote and Keyaron Fox inside.

But where the majority of those linebackers, with the exception of Timmons, are better known for their smarts and positioning on the field, Worilds, Gibson and Sylvester offer an element the Steelers have been lacking speed.

"Speed, but more than anything else he was fluid,'' Butler said in describing Worilds, whose 4.51 time in the 40-yard dash at Virginia Tech's pro day makes him the fastest outside linebacker on the Steelers' roster.

"He's a fast, fast-playing, aggressive, play-hard kid,'' Butler said about Stevenson, who's being asked to make the transition from college outside linebacker to inside 'backer in the pros.

Butler's ability to instruct and fit young linebackers into defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau's complicated schemes ranks him among the league's top assistants.

"A lot of times guys like (Worilds) have played defensive end all these years (in college), and all they've done is put their hand on the ground and looked at offensive tackles and tight ends are not seeing the whole picture,'' said Butler, who joined the Steelers staff in 2003.

"The thing that's hardest for these guys is to adjust to formations and number counts we use in terms of how we cover receivers figuring out where they line up. The NFL is getting more creative with its formations, with all the unbalanced stuff. I think there's going to be even more of an emphasis to where you line up.''

Butler and coach Mike Tomlin previously worked together at Memphis in 1996, where Butler was the linebackers/defensive end/special teams coach and Tomlin was the defensive backs coach.

A linebacker with the Seattle Seahawks from 1978-87, where he still ranks second in franchise history in career tackles, Butler is viewed as more than a coach by his players because of his ability to relate to them.

It's what endears Butler to Farrior, a co-captain who makes the defensive calls.

"The thing about him is he was a ballplayer he played linebacker,'' Farrior said. "He usually knows why we make mistakes. He's able to relate on a totally different level than another coach would because he's been in every situation we've been in.''

Farrior said players were concerned when Butler received an opportunity in January to become the Miami Dolphins' defensive coordinator. Butler turned down the offer to remain with the Steelers.

"I was keeping up real close with that situation. It was going to be a big change for us. I know his ultimate goal is probably one day to be a head coach. We definitely didn't want him to leave, but we understood,'' Farrior said.

"We all work well together because he has a good understanding of everything that we're going through and everything that goes on on the football field. That gives us a different level of respect over a coach that didn't play the game.''

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...38.html?feed=9
Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311
Default Re: Bevy of LBs has Steelers' Butler beaming

Not that I wish LeBeau to retire anytime soon. But I do hope that Butler gets his chance
to be DC here in Pittsburgh in the future. I think he'd be the perfect replacment for LeBeau.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

Butler is picking up heat for his great coaching. He will be the hier apparent to LeBeau when he retires. No doubt about that I think LeBeaus days are numbered since he might be looming into retirement and Butler will pick up wher ehe left off.

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Most teams promote like minded coaches and Butler I'm sure should be next in line in say 10 years. (I hope Lebeau stays that much longer)
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Time to bring some pain to offenses.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

OLB- James Harrison, Jason Worilds
OLB- Lamaar Woodley, Thaddeus Gibson

ILB- James Farrior, Larry Foote
ILB- Lawrence Timmons, Keyaron Fox, Stevenson Sylvester

That kind of depth at linebacker makes me frickin' orgasmic
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

hopefully we get at least 1 of the lb's we drafted that will end up being a very good starter. 2 would be insane but all 3, it wont happen. no way
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #8
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

People complained about those draft picks but the LBs are what make the Steelers D click. If they don't get pressure, then the secondary has to pick up the slack. The LB's cover any weaknesses the secondary has, and there are weaknesses. I am hoping these young guys can give the Pro Bowlers a breather and keep them fresh. A fresh LeBeau D frustrates opponents. Frustration results in mistakes.

Fox and Foote are good enough to start for some teams, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
OLB- James Harrison, Jason Worilds
OLB- Lamaar Woodley, Thaddeus Gibson

ILB- James Farrior, Larry Foote
ILB- Lawrence Timmons, Keyaron Fox, Stevenson Sylvester

That kind of depth at linebacker makes me frickin' orgasmic
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Jason Woirlds made the EA cover....that should count for something

Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Jason Woirlds made the EA cover....that should count for something

Can someone please clue me in on how to pronounce his last name?