Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Say It Isn't So! Steelers Legend Dermonti Dawson Coaching Up The Cincinnati Bengals

Say It Isn't So! Steelers Legend Dermonti Dawson Coaching Up The Cincinnati Bengals This Offseason
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...teelers-legend
by Michael Bean (Blitz) on May 10, 2010 4:19 AM EDT Comment 9 comments

Dermontti Dawson, the legendary center who anchored the the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line from 1988 until his retirement in 2000, has begun his interim stint on Marvin Lewis' coaching staff in Cincinnati. Dawson, a 7-time Pro Bowler and 6-time All Pro during his famed career as the Steelers center, began his three month stint on the Bengals' staff during the team's recent rookie mini-camp. Dawson is scheduled to remain on staff with the Bengals through training camp. Though there may not be a spot for him on the full time staff of the Bengals in 2010, it's a matter of when, not if, before Dawson is entrusted with the primary coaching duties of an NFL offensive line. That is, if he enjoys himself this summer and remains interested in pursuing a career in the coaching profession.

Dawson and Lewis' relationship extends back nearly twenty years to when Lewis joined the Steelers coaching staff in 1992 as a linebackers coach. Lewis explained his interest in having Dawson join his staff:

"Here's a guy who was a very talented overachiever, and who, as talented as he was, he was the hardest working guy there," Lewis said. "I told him we were going to use the hell out of him and to mentor both our center and young guys who are here and our first-round pick (tackle Andre Smith) from a year ago."

Dawson, always humble and cognizant of what's going on around him, talked about how he hoped to leave his mark on the Bengals' offensive line while not interfering with what Cincinnati's O-Line coach, Paul Alexander, is trying to do as the man in charge of the unit:

"I have to be careful of saying how I did it because I want to follow (offensive line coach) Paul's (Alexander) example," Dawson said. "I'm hoping to be a great influence on the younger guys. They know your history."

Even though this is far from the first time that a Steelers great has jumped rank from Pittsburgh to a rival team, I wish him all the best as he embarks on the next chapter of his career in the NFL. If nothing else, Dawson's return to the NFL hopefully keeps his name fresh in the minds of Hall of Fame voters. After narrowly missing out on induction into Canton the last two years (he was named a finalist both years), Dawson will someday soon be remembered fr his remarkable playing career with the black 'n gold.

Until then, God speed to one of the Steelers - and the NFL's - all time great centers!
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772
Default Re: Say It Isn't So! Steelers Legend Dermonti Dawson Coaching Up The Cincinnati Benga

Omg, i wish we could have nabbed him 1st for Maurkice to learn from....
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
steelerohio
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14925
Default Re: Say It Isn't So! Steelers Legend Dermonti Dawson Coaching Up The Cincinnati Benga

I hear ya... but gotta go where the opportunities present themselves...
steelerohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Well we may get him back. Remember Dick Lebeau once coached for the Bungles.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,170 Times in 432 Posts

Wishing Dirt the best.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,599 Times in 3,994 Posts

p. alexander did a hell of a job w/ the bungs. adding dermonti makes sense.

kevin green kicked ass as a steelers interim tutoring woodley and harrison and it landed him a job on the packers staff.

i wish dermonti all the best even if it is that rival shithole team.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

O jeez...
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Beastie Boys..............."Sabatage!!"..........
Old 05-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerohio View Post
I hear ya... but gotta go where the opportunities present themselves...
Absolutely

Coaching jobs at the NFL level are not that easy to come by (not that easy to KEEP, either!)
One has to get the foot in the door any way possible, even if it means coaching a rival team

Make NO mistake, Dirt is a Pittsburgh Steeler until the day he dies.
The HOF is coming...just a matter of time
Old 05-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Good for him. Its nice when our legends find jobs on other teams that really need their help to compete.