Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 5.11.2010

Ed Bouchette: A cold, rainy good afternoon from Pittsburgh. Let's begin.

BANANA_DIET: Ed: Tomlins stated Timmons is now 250 lbs. was he exaggerating or that fer real (240 may be?)?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know, I haven't weighed him lately. I did not hear Mike Tomlin say that. They list him at 234. James Harrison is listed at 242 and LaMarr Woodley 265. Even James Farrior goes 243, so at 234 he was probably a little light.

BANANA_DIET: ed: I think you stated Limas' season is all but over yet some sports writers stated it's a 5 month injury meaning Limas might miss 4 games max and he's our 3rd or 4th receiver. your take?

Ed Bouchette: I think he'll try to mount a comeback in 2011 after missing all of 2010.

BANANA_DIET: Ed: has the Steelers brass ever picked any prospects in the first or second round (draft) without ever inviting the prospects into town for meetings?

Ed Bouchette: Yes. I do not believe Ziggy Hood visited last year.

frank: What is the status of Willie Colon? Contract situation? Which players are really in their make or break year?

Ed Bouchette: Colon has a one-year contract as part of the tender issued him as a restricted free agent. I would list OT Tony Hills in the final part of your question, Sunny Harris, Bryant McFadden, Daniel Sepulveda, Kraig Urbik, some others tool

screenwriter: Hi Ed, What happens to a player like LaMarr Woodley and Ike Taylor if their contract expires in March 2011 but there is no CBA? Would the Steelers retain their rights an additional year?

Ed Bouchette: There's some dispute about whether there will be franchise tags available, whether Woodley would become a restricted free agent, etc.

screenwriter: Ed, What are your thoughts on my thoughts that Ben Roethlisberger should hold his own press conference for 30 minutes prior to coming to Latrobe in July? Even if he answers "no comment" to certain questions, do you think this would help alleviate the media circus that will greet the team?

Ed Bouchette: At some point, he will talk. I'm not sure what the venue will be. I don't know that such a press conference would be the best way to do it.

Franco: What's your opinion on Brian Cushing?

Ed Bouchette: He got caught and will pay the price. I do not agree with the AP, though, calling for a re-vote on his rookie award.

BigHeadTed: Ed, will you be voting for the Defensive Player of the Year? If so who will you vote for?

Ed Bouchette: I assume you mean the re-vote I just mentioned on the defensive rookie of the year. I voted for Cushing today.

Polamalu43: Ed, you said in last weeks chat that Pouncy, Essex and Foster will be going for RG position, what about Urbik and rookie Scott?

Ed Bouchette: You can include every guard on the roster if you want, but I gave you the three legit names I believe have a real chance, and I'm going with Pouncey.

BANANA_DIET: Ed: do you chat with us in Steelers room or in your house?

Ed Bouchette: Wherever there is a good restraint included.

Guest: Was Ciron Black (OG LSU)added as a Free Agent?

Ed Bouchette: No. Someone erroneously reported that and it won't die.

Kevin: What do you still see as a position of need for the Steelers?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, until someone steps up it would have to be at cornerback, right guard, backup running back. They have prospects who are capable of filling all three.

Rich: Hi Ed, Any news on Jeff Reeds new contract?

Ed Bouchette: I talked to his agent a little bit ago and he's hoping to resume talks June 1.

DallasBlackNGold: who makes the team - Redman or Summers?

Ed Bouchette: Morning odds go with Summers, but Redman did all they asked him to do last summer.

Clorox: Which game on the Steelers' schedule are you looking most forward to this season?

Ed Bouchette: Ben's return vs. Cleveland. It carries all kinds of possibilities. That and another trip to New Orleans, not because the Saints are Super Bowl champs, but because I love that town.

DallasBlackNGold: What are you hearing about Tone's acclimation to the Jets?

Ed Bouchette: I haven't given it much thought, really, other than there was a false report that he was thrown of a Jet.

Roger: Has Casey Hampton had a weight issue this Spring during Mini Camp.

Ed Bouchette: Just the opposite, I think he's looked good.

IC_Smash: Hello Ed. I thought most rookies sign 3 year contracts. Would the Steelers even bother putting L Sweed on IR if he is free to go where he wants next year?

Ed Bouchette: Most Steelers first-round picks have signed five-year contracts, second-rounders four-year deals and the rest 3 or even two.

Chooch79: Is there any way that the Steelers can speed up Leftwich's release at this stage in his career?

Ed Bouchette: What you see with Byron, at this point in his career, is what you get, although he has lost plenty of weight over the past few years.

BigHeadTed: Ed, how will season tickets ever become available to people on the waiting list if individuals can sell their PSLs for hugh profits?

Ed Bouchette: Only way I know is to come up with huge money to buy them. Not every seat is PSL so once in awhile, someone on the waiting list will score some season tickets. However, if you're anywhere down the line on that list, your grandkids won't even see them.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10131...#ixzz0neT8mDmj
Old 05-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 5.11.2010

GjSteel: Hi Ed...it seems that every pundit expert is really blowing us off as any type of contender for the SB..is that a good thing?

Ed Bouchette: I don't think it matters one bit. Many of those same people were picking the Steelers to repeat as Super Bowl champs last year.

chicago_steeler_fan: anything to read into the lack of extension with Tomlin?

Ed Bouchette: Not yet. There's plenty of time and I believe in the end, they will do an extension this year.

SteelerGuyWSP: It does not look like Deshea Townsend has a team. Would the Steelers bring him in as a coach?

Ed Bouchette: No, they have their coaches and would not want to have someone go right from player to coach.

Jonblaz: Do you think the loss of Ben could turn out to be a good thing? Creating that us vs the world mentality and forcing them to improve running the ball

Ed Bouchette: No. No one wants to lose their starting quarterback, especially someone with the record of Ben R. Remember, the threat of a good passing game should help the running game too.

NJSteeler: Did the Steelers sign Darnelle Stapleton?

Ed Bouchette: No, and they have no plans to, as far as I know.

Kreeper: What are the chances we sign both Woodley and Taylor before the season starts? Slim to none?

Ed Bouchette: Unless there is a new CBA, Woodley will not be signed to a multi-year deal before the season. It's almost impossible for them to do it because of the new rules that went into effect.

Jon: Ed, your thoughts on Spring high school football?

Ed Bouchette: Detest it. I played football and baseball in h.s. and if this rule were in place, might have had to give one up. Coaches will pressure their football players not to participate in the spring sports and practice football instead. Detestable.

Blue Ridge Steeler: Do you thin Ziggy will get significant playing time this year?

Ed Bouchette: Ziggy Hood will get more playing time as their top backup defensive end, and because they want to use him more, develop him more. How much time he gets will also depend on how he plays and how he's improved since his rookie season.

Kreeper: Look's crowded now at OLB and ILB who makes the team?

Ed Bouchette: go with the starters. Add Larry Foote, Keyaron Fox, the two rookies on the outside. That comes to eight. They'll keep 9, maybe 10.

Buenos Aires BlacknGold: Ed, who do you think will be the number one back up at safety, Ryan Mundy or the new free agent the signed from Tampa?

Ed Bouchette: Will Allen.

Steel Curtain Rising: Do you know if there are any plans to try out either Lewis or Burrnett at safety as you suggested in the past?

Ed Bouchette: I thought Lewis could play there, not Burnett, but no, I've seen nothing. Lewis was running No. 2 behind Bryant McFadden at LCB in minicamp.

coyote: I am worried about the durability of Mendanhall. Who gets the majority of carries if he were to be injured for any length of time? Do we have enough tough back up running backs?

Ed Bouchette: That question is unanswered at the moment. It would either be Mewelde Moore or rookie Jonathan Dwyer, but that has a long way to go before that decision is made.

Jon: Going back to the PSL question, any chance you see the stadium expanded?

Ed Bouchette: Art Rooney told me that they could do that in the next few years. However, don't look for a major expansion.

SteelMoneyG: On paper right now, do we have a better team than last year ?

Ed Bouchette: If you told me that both Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu would stay healthy all season, I'd say yes. But losing Santonio Holmes won't help the offense and losing Ben R. for the first four games is also not a plus.

tigercoach77: Ed, how will BB work out throughout the season while he serves the suspension? Will he reside in Pittsburgh so that the team can keep tabs, or will he be somewhere (FLA) where he can work on his game?

Ed Bouchette: Ben R. can go to camp, where I assume they'll make sure he gets snaps and time with his receivers but won't do much with the first unit. Then he must go away for the first four games of the regular season. He'll have to find somewhere to work out because he cannot do it at the Steelers facility. They have the bye week and if his suspension is reduced to 4 games as is expected, he can return to the team and have 2 weeks practice before the first game. That no doubt will prompt Mike Tomlin from giving his team so much time off during the bye week as he did last year.

Ed Bouchette: Thanks, all. I have to go put money in the meter. I'll see you next Tuesday, first day of the next round of OTA practices.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10131...#ixzz0neTO5kck
Old 05-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cheerful

Thanks for sharing that Galax.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Prok
Team Captain

Member Number: 8921

Quote:
BigHeadTed: Ed, how will season tickets ever become available to people on the waiting list if individuals can sell their PSLs for hugh profits?

Ed Bouchette: Only way I know is to come up with huge money to buy them. Not every seat is PSL so once in awhile, someone on the waiting list will score some season tickets. However, if you're anywhere down the line on that list, your grandkids won't even see them.
I hope Art II has sense enough to expand the stadium to at least give some extra people a chance at season tix.

I've always felt they should have made the stadium big enough for an extra 10 to 15 thousand to sit in. Was thinking they were afraid of not selling out all the games or something? Although i can't understand why...

But i've been on that damn list for a lonnnnnnnggggggg time now with no shot.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Galax, Thanks for the post.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prok View Post
I hope Art II has sense enough to expand the stadium to at least give some extra people a chance at season tix.

I've always felt they should have made the stadium big enough for an extra 10 to 15 thousand to sit in. Was thinking they were afraid of not selling out all the games or something? Although i can't understand why...

But i've been on that damn list for a lonnnnnnnggggggg time now with no shot.

They really need to close in the open end with seats. They have plenty of fans that could eat up another 5000 seats and it would make the stadium louder for the visiting teams.
pepsyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

I dont know why we didnt put about 100,000 seats in their like the Rosebowl or the LA Colliseum......We would definatly fill it..........What is the capacity now, 60,000?
Old 05-12-2010, 03:27 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
They really need to close in the open end with seats. They have plenty of fans that could eat up another 5000 seats and it would make the stadium louder for the visiting teams.
If they closed that end of the stadium in then kicking field goals would be easy in Pittsbrugh.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:58 AM   #9
steelwalls
Starter

Member Number: 13927

Quote:
BANANA_DIET: Ed: Tomlins stated Timmons is now 250 lbs. was he exaggerating or that fer real (240 may be?)?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know, I haven't weighed him lately.
But you are someone who should know... you know everything else, with your "meetings with agents" and hob knobbing.

Is it me or can Ed not resist the chance to be a jackass?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Galax, Thanks for the post.
Yeah thanks. I think we see a lot more of Ziggy this year. I'm looking forward to the season. If Troy and Aaron stay healthy (as well as other key players) I think the offense will take care of itself. Even with Ben out we can win the first 4 running the ball and playing tough D.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote