Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 05-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
Spidey
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2758
Default Woodson helping out at Bungholes too!

Is coaching something you had thought about?

I had thought about coaching when I first retired, but I played 17 years in the league, and at that time it was not right for me. I am actually going to give it a try this year - I am going to go to Cincinnati and be with the Bengals when camp starts in July and stay about a week and a half. It will be good to get a taste for it and get back into talking with the players and coaches and see what that daily grind is like again.

First Dirt, . . now this . . . .

Would have been nice to see him given the opportunity with us, . . . no?
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734
Default Re: Woodson helping out at Bungholes too!

What's up with this? Help the Steelers!!! Puuncey can use tutoring from Dermonti and our entire secondary can use Rod's help!!!
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I'm not a believer in bringing ex players back as coaches. Especially great players, which both Dawson and Woodson were.
I think players who were marginally talented, but were able to play football because of their understanding of the game, dedication, and work ethic make better coaches.
You don't have to go much further than our last 2 head coaches to find this type of guy.

I've also heard a lot of people call for Batch to be a QB coach next year instead of playing. I don't think that works. Not that Charlie can't be a QB coach. I just don't think you go from teammate to coaching your peers effectively in 1 year. Maybe 5-10 years away from the organization and then come back when most of the guys you played with are gone.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Big deal. It is only for 1-1/2 weeks.
Besides, he owes the Steelers nothing.
Steelers>NFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
What's up with this? Help the Steelers!!! Puuncey can use tutoring from Dermonti and our entire secondary can use Rod's help!!!
What are they going to learn from Woodson that they can't learn from LeBeau?

Woodson isn't going to leave his cushy gig on NFL Network to go back to the NFL grind.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
I'm not a believer in bringing ex players back as coaches. Especially great players, which both Dawson and Woodson were.
I think players who were marginally talented, but were able to play football because of their understanding of the game, dedication, and work ethic make better coaches.
You don't have to go much further than our last 2 head coaches to find this type of guy.

I've also heard a lot of people call for Batch to be a QB coach next year instead of playing. I don't think that works. Not that Charlie can't be a QB coach. I just don't think you go from teammate to coaching your peers effectively in 1 year. Maybe 5-10 years away from the organization and then come back when most of the guys you played with are gone.
First of all, people are unique individuals.......Coach Lebeau was one of the great ball hawks of all time, so just that example contradicts your statement........If a man has a desire to coach and the passion for it, what could hold him back?.........I think Coach did allright.......

Second of all, C. Batch might not want to be a part of football after he takes of the pads.......If he does, their are assistant jobs under the offensive coordinater that could make more sense than a qb coach............The reason people want Charlie aboard is because their is great chemistry and understanding between him and Ben...........Sometimes pieces of a puzzle fit better than 2 separate entities when working together...........That boat already sails, so we know it works..........

Old 05-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
First of all, people are unique individuals.......Coach Lebeau was one of the great ball hawks of all time, so just that example contradicts your statement........If a man has a desire to coach and the passion for it, what could hold him back?.........I think Coach did allright.......

Second of all, C. Batch might not want to be a part of football after he takes of the pads.......If he does, their are assistant jobs under the offensive coordinater that could make more sense than a qb coach............The reason people want Charlie aboard is because their is great chemistry and understanding between him and Ben...........Sometimes pieces of a puzzle fit better than 2 separate entities when working together...........That boat already sails, so we know it works..........

I don't think I stated that it wasn't possible that a great player could become a great coach. I just think more workman like players make better coaches in general. You could make the case that even though LeBeau was a good player, his play lends itself more to this type of player. He was never a physically gifted or intimidated defender. And for every example like LeBeau, there's probably 10 examples of guys like Cowher. So whatever...................

Second of all.....................

Although I think all of your pictures of Ben and Batch together are nice. Most of these Charlies wearing a Uni though, not coaches shorts.
If you think there's no difference in being a friend and a mentor vs. being a coach, I think you're mistaken. I like Batch and would like to see him involved with the team in some capacity in the future.

But I kind of look at it like this.
You can choose to be a friend to your kids or a parent. Being both is tough and one usually gets in the way of the other. I have my doubts about going straight from player, teammate, and peer (ie:friend) to coach (ie:parent).

Just an opinion.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
I'm willing to bet that the Steeler organisation never entertained the offer for either one of them to tutor.

If the Bengals offered both Dawson and Woodson coaching gigs and they both have a desire to get into coaching, I can't hold anything against either one of them for getting their foot in the NFL coaching door and doing what they want to do, no matter what team it may be.

Last edited by SteelerSal; 05-13-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo
SteelerSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
rick723
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8221

Maybe they just don't want to associate with a team of assbags?
Not exactly a great time to say I worked with the Steelers now is it?
One bad apple can spoil the whole box.
rick723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

It would be great if every past steeler player that wanted to coach would be given a opportunity to do this with the Steelers but this will not happen. These guys have to make good with any team that is willing to give them that first chance to coach.

Not mad and Woodson or Dawson for following desire to try coaching.

Of course I am and always will be a Steeler fan but if a team called me up and offered me and chance to coach and that was my desire hell I would take it.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote