Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-24-2010, 05:51 AM   #1
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Best trade(s) worst trade(s) in Pens history?

The obvious choices are, for best:

trading Cullen, Zaplapski and a set of overhead luggage ( or something of similiar value ) for Ron Francis, and Ulf Samuellson.

for worst:

Markus Naslund for used sweat socks er I mean Alek Stojanov .

Let's hear yours, and no you can't site my suggestion of trading Malkin if the right deal were to present itself, tempting as that might be to slam me.

Last edited by zulater; 05-24-2010 at 06:07 AM.
zulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #2
zulater
Team Owner

Default Re: Best trade(s) worst trade(s) in Pens history?

I don't want to suck all the air out of the thread and use up all the good ( or bad choices) but for worst trade a close second for me, in fact I would say that it proved to be a more damaging move in it's time was trading Sergy Zubov for Kevin Hatcher. I loved Zubov, the guy was one of the best men on the point on the pp for his time. Hatcher was used and abused by the time we got him and gave us nothing close to what Zubov gave the Stars.

Last edited by zulater; 05-24-2010 at 06:32 AM.
zulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Naslund for Stojanov still goes down as the worst trade in Pens history. Naslund goes on to great things in Vancouver, while Stojanov didn't even play 20 games for the Pens. That one still irks me to this day. The Jagr trade? Brutal. Are any of those guys they got in that trade still playing hockey anywhere? Zubov for Hatcher is up there and is underrated as far as bad trades go.

Best trades have to be Zalapski/Cullen/Daniels for Francis/Ulfie/Jennings, Recchi+others for Tocchet/K. Samuelsson/Wregget, and let's face it, trading for Kunitz and Guerin last season was brilliant, and they didn't have to give up the store to get either one of them.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Naslund for Stojanov still goes down as the worst trade in Pens history. Naslund goes on to great things in Vancouver, while Stojanov didn't even play 20 games for the Pens. That one still irks me to this day. The Jagr trade? Brutal. Are any of those guys they got in that trade still playing hockey anywhere? Zubov for Hatcher is up there and is underrated as far as bad trades go.

Best trades have to be Zalapski/Cullen/Daniels for Francis/Ulfie/Jennings, Recchi+others for Tocchet/K. Samuelsson/Wregget, and let's face it, trading for Kunitz and Guerin last season was brilliant, and they didn't have to give up the store to get either one of them.
That was a bad trade no doubt. But Patrick's hand was forced due to money and Jaromir's meltdown. Anyone know what the Rangers offered for Jagr? I think they were the underbidder? And did the Caps sweeten the pot with cash? I know the team was all but bankrupt at that point, so maybe operating capital was of more value than on ice talent?

It's been a while i can't remember exactly?

By the way as for all time great deals I don't think we gave up much for Larry Murphy? that's got to be right up there with the best.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
That was a bad trade no doubt. But Patrick's hand was forced due to money and Jaromir's meltdown. Anyone know what the Rangers offered for Jagr? I think they were the underbidder? And did the Caps sweeten the pot with cash? I know the team was all but bankrupt at that point, so maybe operating capital was of more value than on ice talent?

It's been a while i can't remember exactly?

By the way as for all time great deals I don't think we gave up much for Larry Murphy? that's got to be right up there with the best.

All but bankrupt? They had already filed for bankruptcy when they traded Jagr for some players and cash at hand. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Mario was still paying Jagr some of his deferred salaries when he was traded lol. That's the only reason I never had much against Jagr. He would have stayed for the right price, but he had stayed for a good bit of time while not getting paid full salary. Pens just couldn't afford to keep him, so they traded him away.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
All but bankrupt? They had already filed for bankruptcy when they traded Jagr for some players and cash at hand. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Mario was still paying Jagr some of his deferred salaries when he was traded lol. That's the only reason I never had much against Jagr. He would have stayed for the right price, but he had stayed for a good bit of time while not getting paid full salary. Pens just couldn't afford to keep him, so they traded him away.
Actually the team was out of bankruptcy by then - they originally filed in 1999. It was the reason why I decided to buy season tickets, because I wanted to support Mario buying the team out of bankruptcy. But the point is still valid - the Pens couldn't afford to pay him, and Jagr knew it, so he forced a trade. I still think Craig Patrick could have gotten a LOT more for him than they did - hell, we could have a blueline right now with both Brooks Orpik and Brendan Witt on it, had Patrick asked for him back then. I know Witt was waived by the Isles and sent to the minors this season, but still...the guy could hit like a ton of bricks.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
zulater
Team Owner

On the positive side, getting Joey Mullen for a second round pick from Calgary!