Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Time To Get On Board

Time to get on board

This year is unique among most experienced by the Steeler faithful. The Steelers front office has somehow, year after year, backed away from signing free agents to fill specific holes, relying instead on their ability to find draft picks and undrafted free agents. Miraculously, the Steelers always seem to have a player ready to step up at the exact time that a veteran was ready to demand a huge contract or a veteran had started to lose a step. The simplicity of their plan is more remarkable in the age of big name free agents when one considers the fact that their formula has worked to the tune of six world championships.

So why is this year unique? Well, it appears that Tomlin as gone off the reservation. In a move like I have never seen before with ANY team, Tomlin seems to have found an instant answer to a depleted depth chart. Tomlin has played upon the emotions of past players who left for greener pastures. Who, like Dorothy, have found that there is no place like home.

Bringing back Randle El…Foote…McFadden…is more than your typical free agent signing. Tomlin brought back players that know the system. Players that know the tendencies of those they have worked with before. Players who are once again, the recipients of the Rooney’s loyalty and wont soon forget that here in Pittsburgh…they are wanted.

Once a Steeler…always a Steeler.

In addition to these unprecedented moves, the Steelers drafted in a manner that the rest of the league and many draft experts, have never quite understood. They drafted for the future. Tomlin showed remarkable discipline in this draft. The Steelers philosophy is that most rookies need to be given time to learn a playbook and learn to mesh with their teammates. Part of knowing what to do…is knowing what your teammate will do. With that mentality, Tomlin was able to pass on boom or bust players and drafted those who will prove themselves on special teams and as backups immediately…. and be given the luxury of a year or two to learn how to play Steelers football.

There are several reasons to be positive about the upcoming season.

1).....Our offensive line will be better this year with the addition of Pouncey. Our first round draft pick will play RG this year but this time next year he will be the center of our O-line. Possibly more important to their overall improvement is the firing of Larry Zierlein and the hiring of O-line coach Sean Kugler.
2).....Our running game should be improved, possibly as a direct result of the above facts and also due to the drafting of RB Dwyer who should be the perfect compliment to Mendenhall. Don’t forget, all Mendenhall did was take over for Parker and average 4.6 yards per carry while racking up 1,100 yards in 12 starts.
3).....Our depth on the defense is light years better than it was last year. Will Allen is an improvement over Tyrone Carter….McFadden is an improvement over Gay. Gay or Lewis may play nickel CB which is an improvement over Townsend. Foote will backup Farrior. Either of our rookie OLB’s would be an improvement to back up Woodley and Harrison…and don’t forget that Timmons can fill in at OLB if needed, with Foote and Farrior on the inside!!! Ziggy will be improved as a backup on DE and might push for a lot of playing time . With Troy and Aaron back and our depth improved, there us a very good possibility that the Steelers return to the #1 defensive rank.
4).....Special teams is going to be fun to watch. Battle was brought in as a WR, but his true worth lies on ST’s. Will Allen will also get a chance to improve last years squad. All three of our rookie linebackers should contribute this year. Rookie WR’s Brown and Sanders will both get an opportunity to return kicks and punts, but don’t be surprised if Brown, who has 3,500 yards worth of returns in college doesn’t make Stefan Logan expendible.

All these factors point towards this coming year being one of the most exciting in recent memory. There is a feeling that, unlike last year when the Aaron and Troy went down, we have everything in place to overcome the short term loss of any starter...including Ben.

I think its time for the Steeler Nation to embrace this feeling and get on board!!!

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 05-15-2010 at 05:04 PM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,548 Posts
Default Re: Time To Get On Board

im on board! great post... especially this understated part, which i'd like to expand on (and add leftwich)-

Quote:
Bringing back Randle El…Foote…McFadden…is more than your typical free agent signing. Tomlin brought back players that know the system. Players that know the tendencies of those they have worked with before. Players who are once again, the recipients of the Rooney’s loyalty and wont soon forget that here in Pittsburgh…they are wanted.
in 2005 we lost randle-el, bettis, oelhoffen, and hope. (pretty much aging ir role players but ALL were leaders and a strong presense in the locker room).

you can say bettis was the heart and muscle of the team, even taking a back seat to willie and big ben.

el was a spiritual leaders and the class clown who was a friend to everyone.

chris hope was also the same. always pulling pranks and joking with the guys he was regarded as the funniest guy in the clubhouse. even though we thought he was easilly replaceable and not worth the money he got from the titans, he was the QB of the defense. is 1st year as a titan he had more tackles than polamalu, reed, sean talyor, and bob sanders. he became a pro bowler.

oelhoffen was a savy vet who always held his own. a great locker guy whose peers looked for him to tailor and sew custom fitting uniforms.

what these guys contributed cant be measured in a stat book. many people attribute the '06 collapse on cowher w/ carolina on his mind, or bens accident.

i attribute it to being high on a horse, losing that edge, and especially the veteran presense and leadership of 4 great guys.

if there are any cracks in the foundation with ben and holmes suspensions/getting the boot, the 4 guys we brought back are the perfect glue.

last year we went the majority of the season w/o 4 of our Sb defensive starters (troy, aaron, larry, and bryant) and now they are back, and no worse for the wear. i beleive this alone will improve the play of last years starters such as gay and timmons. ziggy will prove why he was one of the top DT/DE's in his class.

while i would never want to lose ben, willie, or holmes, i am excited for the doors opened for dixon/lefty and mike wallace plus the other rookie wr's and young running backs. i was really looking forward to sweed getting a legitimate shot, but the steelers, always on point, adequately planned for him not being on the field.

plus, i think we will see competition along the line that we havent seen in years.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Dwyer has alot of holes in his game. Not sure he will be a difference maker yet. Will Allen is a career backup. Nothing special at all
We rarely play rookies. So we can't expect to much from any of them.
What worries me is, we are old and slow in the middle. I would start Hood now!
Old 05-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

I'm excited because we have some depth and I really can see Sts being a strength instead of a weakness. I still think 12-4 or maybe 13-3 is realistic.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Dwyer has alot of holes in his game. Not sure he will be a difference maker yet. Will Allen is a career backup. Nothing special at all
We rarely play rookies. So we can't expect to much from any of them.
What worries me is, we are old and slow in the middle. I would start Hood now!
RB's, more than any other position, have the ability to make an immediate difference. In regards to playing rookies...I think other than Pouncy and Dwyer, the rookies will get the chance to learn the playbook (as I stated). As far as the D-line is concerned , Hampton has showed up for camp this year in better shape than he ever has...I think we were wise to address immediate needs and wait until next year to draft a NT.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im on board! great post... especially this understated part, which i'd like to expand on (and add leftwich)-

in 2005 we lost randle-el, bettis, oelhoffen, and hope. (pretty much aging ir role players but ALL were leaders and a strong presense in the locker room).

you can say bettis was the heart and muscle of the team, even taking a back seat to willie and big ben.

el was a spiritual leaders and the class clown who was a friend to everyone.

chris hope was also the same. always pulling pranks and joking with the guys he was regarded as the funniest guy in the clubhouse. even though we thought he was easilly replaceable and not worth the money he got from the titans, he was the QB of the defense. is 1st year as a titan he had more tackles than polamalu, reed, sean talyor, and bob sanders. he became a pro bowler.

oelhoffen was a savy vet who always held his own. a great locker guy whose peers looked for him to tailor and sew custom fitting uniforms.

what these guys contributed cant be measured in a stat book. many people attribute the '06 collapse on cowher w/ carolina on his mind, or bens accident.

i attribute it to being high on a horse, losing that edge, and especially the veteran presense and leadership of 4 great guys.

if there are any cracks in the foundation with ben and holmes suspensions/getting the boot, the 4 guys we brought back are the perfect glue.

last year we went the majority of the season w/o 4 of our Sb defensive starters (troy, aaron, larry, and bryant) and now they are back, and no worse for the wear. i beleive this alone will improve the play of last years starters such as gay and timmons. ziggy will prove why he was one of the top DT/DE's in his class.

while i would never want to lose ben, willie, or holmes, i am excited for the doors opened for dixon/lefty and mike wallace plus the other rookie wr's and young running backs. i was really looking forward to sweed getting a legitimate shot, but the steelers, always on point, adequately planned for him not being on the field.

plus, i think we will see competition along the line that we havent seen in years.
Right on Tony.......The team in 06 fell apart and the heart was gone and Cowher felt lonely and you could see it in his eyes........Losing Bussie and Kemo was huge leaders and father like figures for the young guys.......El and Hope were huge playmakers that we surely missed........Great post........
Old 05-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

I'm always on board with the team, but to be honest...I have no idea what this season will bring.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
steel9guy
Banned

Member Number: 8688

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
I'm always on board with the team, but to be honest...I have no idea what this season will bring.
Same, I've been on board since berth and will always be on board forever but I too have no idea what to expect. It's probably the first time in my life I've had no idea of what to expect from the Steelers lol
steel9guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

im on board always have been!! this year i expect hell to unleashed! (yeah couldnt help myself)

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

I've been on board since birth and always will be. Through thick and thin, there's no one like a Steelers fan. I hope that Ben kicks everybody's asses and I hope Troy has another Pro Bowl caliber season. It's going to be an interesting season, but of course, we'll all be there.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote