Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-08-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811
Default ESPN contributing to the hype

I like to do the polls and look at the results on ESPN sportsnation quite a bit. One thing I've noticed is that they way ESPN writes the questions they try to get you to answer in a specific direction... Look at this question about the officiating in the Super Bowl. 3) Did the officiating in Sunday's game unfairly favor one team? Your possible answers were unfairly favored the Seahawks, unfairly favored the Steelers, the right calls were made. Now obviously the officials made some iffy (but IMO correct) calls. There was no choice for bad officiating favoring neither team or just bad officiating in general. I think if there was that choice there wouldnt be as high of a result for unfairly favoring the Steelers. But since that choice was not there most people picked favored the Steelers because most of the calls went the Steelers way. Just a reminder to not always trust what polls say, you have to take into account who they are made by (controversy increases ESPN viewership) and how the questions were worded and if they suggest one outcome...
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Re: ESPN contributing to the hype

I watched it last night and went frame by frame over all the supposed bad calls. It's not what the "Seattle Sore Losers" make it out to be. They see what they want. On that note, what was up with Robbie Toebeck cheap shotting Kimo? Everyone is looking down field at the result of the play and WHAM! Kimo gets planted. It was pretty dirty, but we never heard a word about it. It's all crap anyway. We Won. We're the CHAMPS baby!!!!

Seattle fans football knowlege is limited to the stats they get from ESPN.com (which were league leading considering the chumps they'd been playing). So how appropriate is it that they led the SB in stats but lost the game. I love it!!!
NJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,191 Times in 598 Posts

That was a push off, a freakin blind man could see it. And that was a hold on Locklear. The reason why it was a big deal was because they happen on two big plays. The Hasselbeck penalty was dumb, but the Steelers actually got called on that earlier in the year. And the TD by Ben could have gone either way, but even if he hadnt, how the hell would we have not scored on the 1/2 mm line.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

ESPN is just trying to get a story out of this....that's what they do to get viewers, and they have created this controversy over nothing...and Seattle fans are biting at it!!! Haven't you ever heard...don't believe everything the Media tells you!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
CASTEEL
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 884

I don't expect everyone to see everything that I write, I am still fairly new here and only write when I can, but I've said what I think about this a few times already.

ESPN and other media are "creating" news stories instead of just reporting them.......
And they are creating them in such a way as to get the most hype possible!

You said all the seahag fans (not your words, mine ) are biting, well so are we..... look at what we are talking about right now! And this, in their hopes, will continue to get us fired up and going back to see what else they are saying. And will also get more and more seahag fans going back for some kind of bullshit validity that the "whole" country is siding with them...that they were robbed....

All this is doing is increasing the ammount of traffic on their website, in return allowing them to make more money.........

The best thing for us to do is to either realize this and accept it, or just don't go to ESPN for a while.....it will die down as soon as they have something else to market as "news" and generate more hype over.

ONE FOR THE THUMB......DONE!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

NFL Network is just as bad, they keep the whole damn thing alive!

Fifth Ring! History, on to six!
Old 02-08-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
CASTEEL
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 884

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
NFL Network is just as bad, they keep the whole damn thing alive!

Fifth Ring! History, on to six!
No doubt... all of the networks are this way, except of course FOX, because we all know they are "fair and balanced"........

ONE FOR THE THUMB.... DONE!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

ugh, I'm so sick of it. I've turned off ESPN for about a good week before I start watching it again. right now I'm enjoying the wave of Steelers fever that seems to have everyone in an extra good mood this week :)
Old 02-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

ok so I'm not gonna watch ESPN but I was at their website and found this article that sums up pretty much everything I think about this whole ordeal, and probably a lot of you share it too http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...ene&id=2322300

Last edited by melroseplace; 02-08-2006 at 05:18 PM.
melroseplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:29 PM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

There is a fantastic video footage link now in the media section - go check it out if you haven't already.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote