Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 05-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,191 Times in 1,354 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 5.18.2010

Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon, what could be better than an OTA chat? Let's begin ...

Polamalu43: Ed, were there any changes to the first team offenses and defense today?

Ed Bouchette: Not that I saw. Byron Leftwich still running with the first team at QB.

Ed Bouchette: No Troy Polamalu, though.

Tprod: Ed, who will serve as backup center if Justin Hartwig is injured and Pouncey starts at right guard? Does Pouncey move over and someone else start or does Pouncey remain at right guard and Urbik or some else come in at center?

Ed Bouchette: As of May 18, my opinion would be Pouncey would be next. However, we're still 3 1/2 months from the start of the season.

screenwriter: Ed, The OTAs is no place to evaluate players, but in your keen eye, how well is Dennis Dixon performing with shorts?

Ed Bouchette: He's been fine.

B&G_Fan_Stuck_In_Ohio: Is the receiver signed to replace Sweed more to have someone else to catch passes in training camp similar to how the Steelers have had a fourth QB in past camps?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I believe he is the 11th receiver they've signed and he was released by Baltimore last year on the first cut. He has speed and has size, so there must be something else missing.

SteveG: With so many regulars on the team performing so poorly, do you see any wholesale changes in June where a few guys are giving a basically full time chance (i.e. Steve Pearce, Neil Walker, Jose Tabata), or do think will they continue to give significant time to Aki, Clement and Milledge?

Ed Bouchette: I think you have the wrong chat.

Dan: Ed, it seems to me that Limas wasn't getting much of a chance to show what he could do on the field. I know he dropped some passes. But was there something that kept him off the field we didn't know about.....in the doghouse?

Ed Bouchette: The Limas questions just won't stop, even though he won't play this season. Here's what kept Limas Sweed off the field last year: Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward and Mike Wallace.

Amos_P_Swanson: What do you think the chances are that we could see some input this year by Keenan Lewis at CB, and Sunny Harris on the DL?

Ed Bouchette: It's up to them, although I would think Sunny has a long way to go with what's in front of him, including Ziggy Hood.

B&G_Fan_Stuck_In_Ohio: Are you hearing anything about who might take a flier on JaMarcus Russell? Of course, I doubt the Steelers would be interested.

Ed Bouchette: It's more than doubt. It's a no-brainer they have no interest in him.

Amos_P_Swanson: The loss of Santonio Holmes still concerns me. Might they go out and try to get another vet WR is these two rookies stumble mightily in TC?

Ed Bouchette: You mean like T.O? Ain't happening. No, I would not look for them to bring in any more vet wide receivers.

Jonblaz: Any word on dwyer? In shape ?

Ed Bouchette: He looks to be in great shape and had one run today to show off some speed on the outside. Of course, no one was allowed to tackle him either.

Jonblaz: Why would woodley leave? Money I understand but most disapear after they leave and Pittsburgh will find some new face to take his pro bowl spot

Ed Bouchette: Who said anything about LaMarr Woodley leaving?

Jonblaz: Pittsburgh always seems to do better when they fly under the radar. Do you think that this could help since not many are giving them a chance?

Ed Bouchette: Sometimes when you fly under the radar you fly into a bridge.

JRH IN VT: Is there any greater likelihood that someone other than Reed will do kickoffs?

Ed Bouchette: They will lok at both Piotr Czech and Adam Graessle this spring

draframe: Hi Ed. I saw a picture from last mini camp with Urbik taking snaps at center. Is that a possible long-term plan?

Ed Bouchette: Indeed he was taking some snaps at center. They do a lot of that in the spring because Mike Tomlin wants players who are "position flexible,'' especially in the line.

DCSTEEL: How many guys can the Steelers have on their roster heading into camp?

Ed Bouchette: 80

Polamalu43: Ed, why wasn't Polamalu there today?

Ed Bouchette: I assume he's back in California working with his guru, Marinovich.

nj_steelers: Have you ever read the Art Rooney, Jr. book, Ruanaidh? I am about halfway through it and it is exceptional with regards to the family history of the steelers...

Ed Bouchette: yes, I read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dan: does logan stand a chance to make the roster this year?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, unless they can find a comparable returner among a position player.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10138...#ixzz0oJQFJp7Q
Old 05-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,191 Times in 1,354 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 5.18.2010

Argentine Steelers Fan: Ed, would you have ever imagined 20 years ago that you'd be conducting chats about the Steelers in mid-May (even if you forget the technology angle.)?

Ed Bouchette: Sure. I invented the Internet. No, no, I mean the new Microsoft system, no-no. It was the I-Pad, yeah, that's it. The I-pad.

Terrible Trousers: Easy Ed, Always a pleasure - There are currently alot of guys on the roster who will eventually need to get cut. Do you think there are any vet types who will be in danger of loing a roster spot in favor of a younger player?

Ed Bouchette: There's always that chance. I don't know what you consider in that category. James Farrior? No, I don't think so. Anthony Madison? A possibility.

Bob Rok: Did you see Lamar Woodley's interview on NFL Live? He dismissed the 30 percent rule as a hold up to getting a new deal and I felt he was being somewhat critical of the Steelers for not stepping up.

Ed Bouchette: He should have a talk with his agent before he speaks next time.

DCSTEEL: Nice article on Deshea the other day. Are his playing days over?

Ed Bouchette: you never know when someone might get hurt and a team, even the Steelers, needs a steady old hand to plug the hole.

phineasfog: Ed, any idea how Ben can get his arm in shape during the 4-6 games he's out since he can't practice with the team?

Ed Bouchette: Maybe one of his bodyguards could catch passes from him.

Guest: Peter King mentioned that last year wasn't a particularly good coaching year for Mike Tomlin. I agree. Do you?

Ed Bouchette: The defending Super Bowl champs lost five in a row, including Oakland, KC and Cleveland. The buck stops with him.

Bob Rok: What kind of a chance do you think Doug Worthington has to compete for playing time in the d line rotation?

Ed Bouchette: I think you might want to worry about him competing for a roster spot first.

Steel Curtain Rising: This might be out of left field, but what why did Chuck Noll practice without numbers for all those years? Was he worried about cheating, or did he want his assistants to treat Sidney Thorton the say way they treated Franco?

Ed Bouchette: Two reasons. If there were any scouts sprinkled among the crowd, they would not know who was who, and he wanted his own people to train their eyes knowing the player and his movements, etc., rather than looking at a number.

Jud Wible: Where do you think the Steelers will show the biggest amount of improvement this year?

Ed Bouchette: Their ground game.

screenwriter: Ed, Has the AP decided to become America's Pageant where winning awards can be stripped for rule violations? I like your choice of voting Cushing for the ROY award because at the time, that knowledge was not available. Will the AP push to strip Santonio Holmes of his Super Bowl MVP as well as Roethlisberger's two Super Bowl rings?

Ed Bouchette: In retrospect, I wish I had just abstained from voting the second time because too many people misunderstood my intent.

Vinny V.: Are the Steelers going to sell off game tickets like the past couple years in June and do they have a date set to do this yet?

Ed Bouchette: I assume they will. I have not seen anything yet. in the past, they'd announce it and you had to mail in your request. Now I think they go through one of the ticket agencies.

Tprod: Ed, after Miller who do you expect to the backup TEs for the start of the season?

Ed Bouchette: Probably the same as last season, although Sean McHugh might have something to say about it.

screenwriter: Ed, Can you think of any athlete who has taken a publicity beating and was able to rebound to a high level of popularity? I can only think of actors like Robert Downey, Jr. and Rob Lowe but not an athlete.

Ed Bouchette: Kordell Stewart. He went through a lot of stuff in '98, '99 and '00 and came back to lead his team to AFC title game in '01, make the Pro Bowl and be named Steelers MVP.

Ed Bouchette: Thank you for your questions.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10138...#ixzz0oJQQdNFl
Old 05-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

Thanks Galax.
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Jonblaz: Pittsburgh always seems to do better when they fly under the radar. Do you think that this could help since not many are giving them a chance?

Ed Bouchette: Sometimes when you fly under the radar you fly into a bridge.

Ok, that's not bad. Well, actually it is bad ...,,, but that was rather witty by Ed there.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Thanks Galax,

He makes some good points like Holmes,Hines and Wallace keeping Limas off the field. I didn't see the interview with Woodley and from what I've heard he says it's out of his hands. That doesn't sound critical to me. I also think McHugh will be our backup TE because he can also play fullback and he is a competitor.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Good stufff. Thank you.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Good read and thanks for posting it Galax.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
steel9guy
Banned

Member Number: 8688

cool and thanks for posting.
steel9guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891