Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689
Default Confusion Over "Super" Handshake

Hmmmm...

Confusion reportedly led to missed handshake

Coaches Bill Cowher and Mike Holmgren didn't shake hands on the field after the Steelers won Super Bowl XL, but according to one report, it wasn't for a lack of trying.

According to a story on the NFL's official website, the two coaches were supposed to meet at the 25-yard line for the traditional postgame handshake. But apparently there was some confusion about which 25-yard line. According to the report, Cowher went to one, while Holmgren went to the other.

When Holmgren was unable to locate Cowher, he opted to head to the Seahawks locker room.

There had been some question in the Super Bowl aftermath whether Holmgren had snubbed Cowher after losing, especially when Cowher was shown on broadcasts unsuccessfully looking around for the Seahawks' coach to shake his hand after the game.

But according to the report, the two coaches did finally find each other in Seattle's locker room. There, with no cameras to record the moment for posterity, Holmgren did in fact shake Cowher's hand and congratulate him on the win.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5315936
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,145 Times in 2,645 Posts
Default Re: Confusion Over "Super" Handshake

this was way over blown. holmgren immediately had really good things to say about cowher when interviewed after the game. plus the fact that the losing team is quickly ushered off the field. i heard the reports that they met inside the stadium right after the game but some want to use it as an excuse to bash holmgren. hes a great coach and a stand up person. i have nothing but respect for him
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,796 Times in 2,679 Posts

It probably got blown out of proportion because Holmgren was griping at a ref about the Ben TD at the half; was not interviewed by ABC after the game as best I recall; and made his crack about having to play the Steelers and the refs the next day.

If you behave in a certain manner even the innocuous acts are going to be taken out of context.

All of this is media hype. In the long run only a small % of Seahawks die-hards will claim this game was about blown calls, just as some Cowboys fans still gripe about the interference call on Swann in SB XIII and the Steelers getting no penalties in SB X. For everyone else, the only distinct memory will be who won.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

yeah I'm sure the media twisted it all around to make it seem like some big story...I actually hadn't heard anything about it.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

This was further exacerbated by the very akward camera shot of Cowher standing in the middle of the field with his chin jutting out in clear anger mouthing the easy-to-lip-read "Where's Mike?"
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
Rust-Buster
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1633

Glad to hear Mikey really shook hands. I was afraid he was turning into Buddy Ryan.
Good game guys. Congrats again. and again. and again. and again. and again.
Rust-Buster is offline   Reply With Quote