Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-20-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,878 Times in 1,625 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Ward helping out Wallace

Hines Ward has taken on a new role during the teams OTAs this offseason. Instead of being out there running routes with his teammates, Ward is offering advice to the young receivers and in particular mentoring second-year receiver Mike Wallace.

“Coaching for me just comes natural,” joked Ward after OTAs on Wednesday. “We’re very young at the wide receiver corps. It’s not about me. My not being out there gives more reps to our young guys and it’s reps they need to have. Me going into my 13th year, I want to help in Mike Wallace’s development as a wide receiver. I have to have a counterpart opposite of me, not just one guy but a couple of guys in case somebody goes down with an injury. This is a great opportunity for the younger guys to get more reps.

“It’s not about me practicing now. I have run curl routes for 13 years. I am seeing it from a visual side, seeing defenses and stuff like that. I am getting practice mentally, but working with those guys is more important because we do need to add depth at our wide receiver position.”

With Santonio Holmes gone, traded to the New York Jets, there is an opening opposite of Ward at receiver. He is working to make sure Wallace is ready for that job.

“Going into his second year there is a lot on his shoulders,” said Ward. “I have to make sure his development comes along fast so he can go out there. Mike has shown flashes of great signs last season. It’s like night and day being the third wide out and having the third corner. Now you have the starting corner to line up across from you. He has a whole different ball game waiting for him. I have to make sure I can speed his development up. The talent is there. Now he is going to be asked to be a starter and move on from there.”

Ward isn’t participating mainly because he has been hampered by a hamstring injury. He expects to run some routes during the OTAs, but his focus is on training camp.

“I can run,” said Ward. “But why am I in a hurry to come back? I am going to take my time. I don’t want to come back and re-aggravate it. You will see me in Latrobe. Right now I am out here rehabbing every day. It’s a weekly thing. You will see me out here running routes eventually. Right now my job is to be one of the leaders and get the wide receivers to gain their knowledge so they can help the depth at the position.”

And while Ward isn’t catching passes from the three quarterbacks who are competing to open the season as the starter while Ben Roethlisberger serves a six-game suspension, he did weigh in on the competition and hopes a starter is named going into training camp.

“I have caught balls from all of the guys,” said Ward of Charlie Batch, Dennis Dixon and Byron Leftwich. “We are comfortable with whoever gets named starter. I would go to battle with any of those guys. Whoever is named starter you would like to have that rapport and not keep answering the question of who it will be. It will be less of a distraction knowing going into camp that way you can focus and move on from there.

“I can’t say whose job it is. All of them look good. It’s hard to determine because we don’t even have on pads. It’s like touch football. You are playing to get the scheme down. Things change when you put on pads and you have people tugging at you. Regardless of who is out there we are going to go out there fighting and try to help this team win ball games.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...9-fc1c64134b99
Old 05-20-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734
Default Re: Ward helping out Wallace

Good Read Galax. Thanks. Hines is right. Let the hamstring heal while he tutors Wallace and whoever is filling in on his side.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Mike Wallace is in good hands. How can anyone not love Hines? ♥
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
T&B fan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9959

Ward is a team man every yr he's doig the same thing takeing a young guy and makeing him a pro .. for all of you who said how could we replace Plax .. we did ... and now ,how are we going to replace Holmes . we have Wallace . the man we need to and have keep is Ward . I'm one who thought the wide outs of the 70s would always be my top guys . Ward is just better ,he is the man ..
Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box

For now, Ward content to coach
May 19th, 2010

They are colleagues with Hines Ward.

But rookie wide receivers Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown probably look at Ward as more of a coach right now.

And that is a good thing.

With Ward still nursing a strained left hamstring — he sustained the injury during the Steelers’ first mini camp practice on April 30 -- the 13th-year veteran has essentially been a de facto coach since offseason practices resumed this week.

Ward may be the last player on the Steelers that needs the voluntary practices, which run through the second week of June.

His absence from the drills provides more work for youngsters such as Sanders and Brown — and allows them to pick the brain of a player who has excelled for more than a decade in large part because of his smarts.

“I’ve run curl routes for 13 years now so it’s not going to get any better than I can run it,” Ward said. “I’m still getting practice mentally but I think working with (younger) guys is more important mentally because we do need to add depth at our wide receiver position.

“I can run but I don’t want to come back and re-aggravate (the injury), I know that much. Coach (Mike) Tomin said ‘Don’t worry about anything. Just come back for training camp ready and prepared to go.’ ”

Not that Ward, who is coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, is planning on simply giving pointers over the next three weeks.

“Right now I’m rehabbing every day, getting better every day,” Ward said. “You’ll see me running some routes out here eventually. Right now my job is being one of the leaders making sure (younger players) gain as much knowledge as possible so they can help the depth at our position.”
Filed under: Steelers Comments (5)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Maybe the Steelers should pay close attention to Wallace's growth this season and then offer Ward a post contract coaching position.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
Maybe the Steelers should pay close attention to Wallace's growth this season and then offer Ward a post contract coaching position.

I so agree with that I would love to see Ward and Batch as coaches next season with the Steelers.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

hines

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Mike Wallace is in good hands. How can anyone not love Hines? ♥
Well, I can think of at least ONE player on the team that might not be feeling too warm and fuzzy toward him, at least after several media incidents...
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

Hines = one of the greatest wide receivers of all time.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote