Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default wow what a waste of time & money

http://news.discovery.com/animals/pe...offenders.html

As a dog lover, owner and advocate, I can let a lot slide when it comes to dogs behaving badly. But badly behaving owners: they’re another story. One of my BIGGEST pet peeves is when dog owners don’t clean up after their pets. Seriously, how hard is it to carry a plastic baggie on poochie’s daily walk, and to use it? Picking up after your dog shouldn’t be an option, it should be a responsibility.

Photo Credit: Dan Plimpton

When I came across this news story in the Baltimore Sun, it made my day.

A high-end condo complex in Baltimore is considering mandating saliva DNA samples of all current canine residents. Dog owners at Scarlett Place would have to pay $50 to cover the DNA test and supplies, plus a $10 monthly maintenance fee. Every time an uncleaned poop pops up on property grounds, the complex will test it to determine which dog made the mess.

Both feces and saliva can determine dog DNA, so the condo can find the dog's guilty owner from the DNA* samples on file, who then will be slapped with a $500 fee. My guess is it will be the same offenders over and over again.

The condo is considering working with BioPet Vet Lab, a Tennessee-based company that offers this very service -- called Poo Prints -- which deals specifically with pet droppings. The testing hasn’t been approved yet, but the idea of it is causing a lot of controversy. Is this too Big Brother? Or is such babysitting necessary to eliminate poop piles in the park?

Dog waste is dangerous for many reasons, but here are my four top reasons why I think you should make a poopin’ scoopin’ effort.

#1. Poop attracts rats.

#2. When dog waste isn’t cleaned up and has time to fester on the ground, worms -– like whipworm, heartworm, roundworm and tapeworm –- make their way into the soil and linger there, waiting to infect humans or animals that happen to step in it.

#3. Pet poop can be easily washed into stormdrains, lakes and streams, which pollutes the water supply.

#4. And lastly, poop is nasty to step in and it can ruin your shoes ... or bare feet.

What are your thoughts on this DNA testing issue? Has dog DNA testing gone too far? Or is it the right method to keep your paths poop free? My personal opinion: just clean up your pet’s poo.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774
Default Re: wow what a waste of time & money

I do clean up after my dog, he's a German Shorthaired Pointer! Now this isn't him, but this is pretty close.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

What if it is a stray, then the HOA accumulates lots of fees without an ability to pass on the expense. What if somebody plants a poop just to cause problems. What if it's a cat poop? What if it's a homeless guy? I smell a "Poopgate" coming.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
I do clean up after my dog, he's a German Shorthaired Pointer! Now this isn't him, but this is pretty close.
Beautiful breed! My buddy's neighbor has a shorthaired, very energetic. Eats his own poop also, wouldn't that solve the problem the HOA is having now?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

I think you're overstating the dangers of dog poor. No question it's a nuiscance, and should be dealt with properly in an urban or community setting. But to go this far...

3. Pet poop can be easily washed into stormdrains, lakes and streams, which pollutes the water supply.

Wouldn't that apply to all animals? Wouldn't you think nature has sort of built that into the equation?

If a bear shits in the woods he should be tracked down and fined?