Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default pouncey

Action Sports' John Meyer Goes 1-On-1 With Maurkice Pouncey
Steelers Rookie Talks Family, Transition To NFL
POSTED: 10:06 pm EDT May 19, 2010
UPDATED: 11:54 pm EDT May 19, 2010
Email Print
Comments PITTSBURGH --
Steelers first-round draft pick Maurkice Pouncey may have grown up in Florida, but the NFL rookie is already exhibiting the characteristics Pittsburghers have come to love and expect from their players.

Channel 4 Action Sports' John Meyer sat down with the Steelers rookie on Wednesday, only to find the 6-foot 4-inch, 304-pound offensive lineman is as soft-spoken off the field as he is intimidating on it.

Pouncey recalled getting a phone call from Steelers veteran wide receiver and team leader Hines Ward welcoming him to the franchise, but also letting him know it was time to get down to business.

"He called me as soon as I got done celebrating with my family the night of the draft. That Thursday night he called me and then Max Starks called me," said Pouncey. "[They said] 'Congratulations, get ready to work.'"

From there, the Florida native left the Sunshine State for the Keystone State, and quickly realized it would be a bumpy ride to the NFL, literally.

"The roads are different. They're all kind of bumpy. I'm used to lines on the roads. I was driving on one of the roads yesterday with one of the trainers and there weren't any lines to separate the double lane," said Pouncey. "I'm like, 'We supposed to be right here?' He's like, 'Don't worry, it's just this one street.' It's different."

But the 20-year-old's life hit a more serious bump in the road 18 months ago when his stepfather, Robert Webster, lost his right leg and nearly his life in a rail car accident at work.

"It made me more of a man. We were going to play Florida State that weekend. When he woke up, he looked at us man to man and said, 'You all need to get back up there with your team and I'm going to be fine.' So I guess it made me more of a man," said Pouncey.

Pouncey said that's when he and his twin brother, Mike, realized they needed to be there for their mom.

"Me and my brother sat down and talked and said it's time for us to step up -- stop all the games, all the dumb stuff you do as kids and step up to the plate," said Pouncey.

•Slideshow: Former Pittsburgh Steelers No. 1 Draft Picks

With his focus back on the football field, Pouncey has his sights set on a starting job in his rookie campaign with the Steelers.

"That's always a goal, especially any rookie coming in, but nothing's given to you. I'm going to have to go out there every day and work for it and I plan on competing for the job," said Pouncey.

Pouncey, who played both guard and center in college, is expected to start at guard on the Steelers offensive line before transitioning to center down the road.

Maurkice Pouncey with Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin (left) and team President Art Rooney II (right) More

"I did some center stuff today, so I don't know. We got a great center here. I don't think it will happen this year," said Pouncey.

While 900 miles separate Pittsburgh and Gainesville, Fla., Pouncey said his new team is reminiscent of his old Gators squad.

"This team here is just like college -- family here, there aren't any individuals. Everybody pulls together, so it kind of feels like Florida," said Pouncey.

Although Pouncey said there is one big difference from college to the pros -- the payday.

"Oh man, I can't wait for that first paycheck, to tell you the truth. I'm kind of living the college life still with no money, but whenever that first paycheck comes, it will be amazing," said Pouncey
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:55 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,515 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: pouncey

Got to love this kid. He should make the Pittsburgh Steeler mold from the centers of old.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Yeah I see him starting for the next 10-12 years. I think if Hartwig struggles we may see him at center this year.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

I am impressed with this kid. Hard worker, nice guy, has whatit takes to succeed in the NFL
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Love his soft spoken personality. Very humble man. Awesome...
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I have high hopes for this one. Welcome to Pittsburgh, young man.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

I predicted the Steelers would pick him @ 1....i'm glad they made me happy...
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Mags87
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12016

i remember his reaction when we picked him. he seemed the most excited out of all of the first rounders.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,598 Times in 3,994 Posts

typically 1st round linemen are seniors and around 22 years old. pouncey is well developed at 20, but still a baby like mendenhall and timmons were.

i hope steelerfans take this into consideration before they start calling him a bust if he doesnt tear up the league in his first year.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,940 Times in 1,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
typically 1st round linemen are seniors and around 22 years old. pouncey is well developed at 20, but still a baby like mendenhall and timmons were.

i hope steelerfans take this into consideration before they start calling him a bust if he doesnt tear up the league in his first year.
nope.... he'll get the same treatment they all get ... your either a rookie probowler or a bust...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote