Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-15-2005, 12:39 AM   #11
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Matt Jones with the 30th pick.....

yeah the mocks are loving this pick to us, since Burress left.. but how many times have the Steelers followed suit in a mock? not too often, but we shall see. :)
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:30 AM   #12
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

If he is still there then I'd be happy with him. But someone ahead will hear whispers that he is going to us, then get jumpy and copycat, taking someone not suited for them. I'll say maybe uncle Marty in SD. We might be reaching to get him, but offices get twitchy when they see those impressive reps and times just sitting there being passed over. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I was way off on this either...more like typing outloud.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:05 PM   #13
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Questions from Colbert/Cowher pre-draft press conference........

Q: Are you looking to add a deep threat at wide receiver?

COWHER: Well, we want to get a good football player. Like I said Plax (Plaxico Burress) was a great contributor to this football team but I feel good about Antwaan (Randle El). When Antwaan stepped in, I said before he was still a good compliment to Hines (Ward). Of all the guys he high-points the ball probably better then anybody that we had on the team last year. I mean he can go up and get a football at it's highest point, sometimes people look at those things and I say I don't look at size as much as a person's ability to catch a ball at it's highest point. That's the size that you play at. And bringing in a Cedrick Wilson, a good, young, and developing player, we felt good about Cedrick from the standpoint of that they (San Francisco 49ers) didn't throw the ball a whole lot out there. They kind of were going through a little bit of a rebuilding process right now. And we feel like he is a good young receiver that can play inside and outside, and I think between those three guys I feel good about it. Yes I would like to add one but we do feel like we have a pretty good group right now. We have a guy who can throw it, now I want a guy who can catch the ball too. That's still the bottom line in this business.

---------------------------------------

Q: How do you know when a player can switch to a different position in the NFL?

COLBERT: I think that it has to do more with the individual. You look at the situation, can this player play this position, how does he play it in college, and can he play the same position to that level in the NFL. And some kids have to make the transfer but you have to do it really on an individual basis because they are all different sizes and different circumstances.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:42 PM   #14
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

the throught of having to convert a player to a different position isnt the most appealing..but the Steelers are used it, since thats how we draft all of our LB's..so if anyone can pull it off, its us.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:52 PM   #15
HinesWard4Life8682
Starter

Member Number: 323

good news that troy williamson is going up in stock so that gives us a little chance but i doubt he'll be available still cuz his stock is rising very much too
Old 04-19-2005, 11:42 PM   #16
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Quote:
the throught of having to convert a player to a different position isnt the most appealing..but the Steelers are used it, since thats how we draft all of our LB's..so if anyone can pull it off, its us.

That question came right after them addressing the WR position.......I thought they were hinting to Matt Jones going fron QB to WR. Plus we have done it with Ward, El, and Kordell.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:42 AM   #17
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

It definitely would be interesting to see Ward line up on one side with Matt Jones taking Plax's old spot. It would be nice to see him come to Pittsburgh, but I agree other teams might get a little jumpy. We may not get the oppurtunity to get him, but I'm hoping we do.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:53 PM   #18
KILLERSteelers77
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 357
Question Re: Matt Jones with the 30th pick.....

Has anyone noticed that there hasn't been as much talk about Jones Lately... Maybe his stock is going down... I would love to see him in Black 'N' Gold... switches can be made and numbers don't lie.
KILLERSteelers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:25 PM   #19
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Just wrote on the other thread, that the steelers are viewing Jones as lower than a #30 pick. So we may go in another direction. It is funny thouygh that Jones really hasn't done anything since combines and such. So his #'s then made his stock rise. Now we don't hear anything and his stock is falling. I like that guys #'s don't change, they don't play or anything, but they get better or worse in the minds of GM's.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:56 PM   #20
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

the Steelers dont usually tip their hate very much if it at all as to where they are looking, which is a big reason why we usually get the man we want. So i wouldnt rule out anything quite yet.