Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Woodley hopes hard work pays off

Woodley hopes hard work pays off
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_683127.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 27, 2010

Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley doesn't subscribe to the Chris Johnson school of contract negotiations.

Unlike Johnson the Tennessee Titans' star running back who has protested the lack of movement toward a more lucrative deal while still under contract by skipping team workouts Woodley hasn't missed a practice this offseason. What's more, Woodley can't wait for the start of training camp in July.

Entering the final year of his contract, Woodley said the best way for him to earn a new deal is to continue working hard on the field.

"I can't get better sitting at home, not being with my teammates while the new plays are being installed. I feel like I'm selling myself short if I'm not here," said Woodley, who played in his first Pro Bowl last season. "Everybody's different. I'd rather be at practice and going through the process, not sitting back and holding out.

"My contract will get done, one way or the other, I feel. That's not under my control. The thing I can control is being out here with my teammates, getting ready for this year and trying to win a Super Bowl."

The reason for Woodley's optimism are the new contracts awarded to players such as Pro Bowl linebacker Patrick Willis of the San Francisco 49ers and Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Kevin Kolb.

Willis, who like Woodley was drafted in 2007, recently inked a five-year, $50 million extension in spite of the NFL's notorious 30 percent rule that limits a player's yearly salary.

Philadelphia signed Kolb to a one-year contract extension and will pay him $12.26 million deal through 2011.

"When people talk about the 30 percent rule, you don't hear too many things about what can be done. It's more what can't be done. But when you see other guys getting (contracts), you see what can be done. You hear all the negative things. But there are positives," Woodley said.

The 30 percent rule will take affect during the league's uncapped year in 2010. It limits new salaries to a 30 percent increase during each year of the contract, with most of the money resulting from bonuses.

Woodley, a second-round draft pick who earned $460,000 last season, is due to earn $598,000 this year a 30 percent increase. Because of his low base salary, the bulk of the money Woodley would receive in a new deal would result from bonuses.

Conversely, it was easier for San Francisco to re-sign Willis, a first-round pick, because of his higher base salary.

Still, Woodley sees no reason why a new deal can't get done.

"There's a strategy, a way of getting it done," Woodley said. "When I hear about people getting contracts, the negatives go away. There's no way the 30 percent rule can stop you when I look at other people getting stuff done."

Woodley, 25, has another reason to feel confident about his chances of negotiating a new deal at fair-market value. His on-field production speaks for him.

Woodley ranks fifth in league history with 29 sacks through his first three seasons, behind Shawne Merriman, DeMarcus Ware, Terrell Suggs and Dwight Freeney.

"The reason I feel so positive is because of all the things I did on the field. I've been productive ever since I've been here. If I had poor numbers, I wouldn't feel so positive," said Woodley, who recorded a team-high 13 1/2 sacks in 2009.

"I think my numbers really speak for everything. You've played your role, you've built your resume. That's all you have at the end of the day."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,655 Posts
Default Re: Woodley hopes hard work pays off

Quote:
Woodley ranks fifth in league history with 29 sacks through his first three seasons, behind Shawne Merriman, DeMarcus Ware, Terrell Suggs and Dwight Freeney.
now theres a stat i woulda never guessed.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Quote:
now theres a stat i woulda never guessed.
And I think we can disqualify Merriman for obvious reasons.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
And I think we can disqualify Merriman for obvious reasons.
just to be safe, and for good measure, i'd throw out suggs too.

this doesnt even take into account of woodleys playoff sack record of 2 in three straight games.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:33 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:

this doesnt even take into account of woodleys playoff sack record of 2 in three straight games.
yea those two really stink up the top 5 in this article.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:40 AM   #6
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

woodley deserves and will get a new contract. as soon as there is a new CBA he will be the 1st plater to benifit. there is no possible way there letting him go. he might have to be tagged next season then signed the following year if a new CBA isnt reached but he will be signed.
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

When we got him in the second round, I mentioned to some friends he was going to be a great backer for years to come, I still can't beleive he fell to us, The Steelers, I am sure, will manipulate the CBA to get him signed so he spends his career here and will do everything they have to to keep him, even if that means trading Silverback.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #8
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:

Add that to his totals and he IS THE MAN. I like his attitude as well. I have a feeling he will get a one year extension with a nice signing bonus to buy time. Sign him to a big fat extension after this year. This would work wouldn't it?
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

The team can always franchaise him and then give him a long-term deal in two years.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

So many players hate the franchise tag. How is that possible? You get the average of the top three players at the position for a year. That is usually a huge contract. I just don't get it. I like the way Woodley thinks. He is not one of those arrogant jerks like Chris Johnson. A contract is a contract you jerk. You should be forced to live with it. If you are good enough after the contract is up, you will get the big bucks then.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote