Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,087 Times in 4,587 Posts
Default light reading for summer- John Waters top 6 books

John Waters' 6 favorite books

The writer/director of Hairspray, Pink Flamingo and Cecil B. Demented shares his "harrowing," "politically incorrect" and "feel-good" favorite reads

http://theweek.com/article/index/203...favorite-books

Quote:
John Waters, who's created some of the most controversial cult films in American cinematic history, reflects on the figures that influenced him in his new memoir, Role Models. Here, he shares some of the books that helped shape his world-view, too:

The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell (Harper, $17). This harrowing, repulsive, and witty thousand-page, gay–Nazi–Final Solution novel may have won the two top French literary prizes, but here in America it was panned by the critics. Of course, the French were right. Not since the Marquis de Sade’s 120 Days of Sodom has there been such an explosive literary shocker. And there’s a 39-hour audiobook version available, too. Just imagine that recording session!

Swimming Underground by Mary Woronov (out of print). Still the best book written by a Warhol superstar. If a speed freak’s memoir makes you feel nostalgic, like this one did for me, is there something the matter with you? Unfortunately, yes, there is.

Suicide in the Entertainment Industry by David K. Frasier (McFarland & Co., $50). The perfect gift book for disillusioned showbiz types. An encyclopedia of sad deaths—not only of famous stars but obscure editors, sound technicians, and other never-heard-of, unfortunately depressed, behind-the-scenes crew members.

The Possibility of an Island by Michel Houellebecq (Vintage, $15). My favorite politically incorrect novelist can write like nobody’s business, including yours. Incredibly cruel, sexist, and outside any moral standards, this insanely brilliant science-fiction novel is as good a place as any to start reading this author … or stop.

Sita by Kate Millett (out of print). Every possible, miserable second of the breakdown of a doomed lesbian love affair is captured in meticulously maddening prose by the No. 1 feminist writer of all time. The kind of lovesickness that usually sends one to psychiatric help here inspires Ms. Millett to use her readers as soundboards for her own therapy, and I couldn’t be more happy to oblige.

The Ghastly One by Jimmy McDonough (Chicago Review Press, $27). An eye-popping biography of a forgotten monster, exploitation film director Andy Milligan. Scary, disgusting, violent, and anything but inspiring, this feel-bad book makes me feel good by asking the all-important question, “Can a genius be untalented, too?”

say what you want.

dude is pretty funny.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
urgle burgle
Starter

Member Number: 12834
My Mood: Confused
Default Re: light reading for summer- John Waters top 6 books

maybe. but man, cecil b. demented is on my list of alltime worst films. absolutely horrible. i liked harispray. especially when rick okasick rams his head through that picture. that was awesome.