Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #1
SteelersWyo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 66
Default What is the deal with ARE?

Pardon my ignorance of the subject, but why does it look that ARE is a gonner? Has anything been said officially or just that he is a free agent and one of the hotest names in WRs right now? I keep up with football and the Steelers, but seems like too many people have given up on him and negotiations have not even started.
SteelersWyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254
Default Re: What is the deal with ARE?

Everybody is writing him off as being gone,that's all.THat's their opinionand you know what they say about opinions. HTese same people were saying Wisenhnut was gone!! Maybe ARE will follow his lead and accept a little less money and show some loyalty to the team! Personally I don't think he will be as happy or revered as he is here in da 'burgh but then again that's just another opinion....
Old 02-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

Whisenhunt would've been gone if the deal had been right, and like the Raider fan of 35+ years said in here, it wasnt going to be. He was obviously right, and on more than one count. Not only did Whisenhunt say forget it, so did the lesser-qualified guy. He was also correct in saying Art Shell would wind up taking it because Davis could control him. The guy knew his stuff!

You have no idea how I hope I'm wrong about ARE, but from his perspective, he can make more money elsewhere, and a lot of it. He works well in the system here, and I hope he stays, but it doesn't look promising.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

My feeling is that some other team with give ARE way too much money. The Steelers will not overpay and the money will be too much to pass up.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Steelers priorities will be Hope...and reworking some other deals

I love ARE..but he can be replaced easier than Hope
Old 02-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I truly believe he is a great No.3 and maybe a damn good no. 2 reciever, problem is he may want no.1 money
Old 02-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

Reasons why People think ARE won't be back

1.) He's one of the hottest FA wide recievers in the league right now
2.) His hometown team, The Bears, is looking at him very closely
3.) The Steelers are notoriously cheap
4.) The Steelers have already invested big deals in Wilson and Ward
5.) He probably wants starter money, when at best he's a 2nd

I actually think that ARE is more of a priority then Hope, because from what I've heard, this is a pretty deep Safety draft. Plus, I think Hope's soft, just because of the number of times he's been dragged, and how he can't seem to squeeze interceptions.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #8
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler in Carolina
My feeling is that some other team with give ARE way too much money. The Steelers will not overpay and the money will be too much to pass up.

Thats what Im afraid is gonna happen too. Many times after a players gets their SB ring they wanna jump ship for alot more money instead of staying w/ their current super bowl winning and most likely contender for next year too.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,759 Times in 2,662 Posts

With regard to the Steelers allegedly being "notoriously cheap," that rep might not have been unjustified back in the pre-salary cap early to mid-1990s when Dallas and San Francico stayed on top by spending freely while the Steelers needed a new stadium.

While the Steelers have lost FAs, a lot of the losses are due to having more good players than other teams. When the team was bleeding FAs in the mid-1990s (again related in part to lacking the revenue from new stadium), some of the losses were because: they would not meet the high price a good player received from another team that had cap $$ (Leon Searcy to Jax); some were due to already having $$ tied in other players at the position (Chad Brown left because his wife hated living in Pittsburgh and $$ had already been committed to Greg Lloyd, who then blew out his knee); in some cases the Steelers did not meet the price of someone whose best days were behind them (John Jackson/Carnell Lake); and in at least one case another team was insane (Jets signing O'Donnell).

Unless you want to go into salry cap h**l and mortgage your future to make another championship run (Dallas in the mid-90s; 49ers in late 90s; Ravens after 2000), you will lose players when you are successful.

The Steelers method of spreading the $$ by position and not betting all the chips on one season has resulted in 10 playoff appearances, 6 AFC championship appearances, 2 Super Bowl appearances & (finally!) a Super Bowl win. I do not believe that record would be achieved if the Steelers were "notoriously cheap," will assume they knew what was coming up this off-season, and that they have a plan.

That having been said, if a new CBA is not ratified soon, the NFL could go the way of baseball, in which case the Steelers method will no longer work. So, enjoy what we have while you still can; in the future it may be the Redskins, Dallas, Giants, Jets, New England a few other rich franchises that can afford to compete.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #10
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

Whenever I said the Steelers are notoriously cheap, I didn't mean it as a bad thng. Maybe I should have said "Frugal" for the better connotation. But yes, all of those reason, and when you look at what we do with FA. We never get the big name Free Agents; we get people like Kimo, who the other teams think are old and washed up, or James Farrior, He didn't do much for the Jets, and look what he's done here. I like what the Steelers do, Keeping players in house and looking for the diamonds in the rough.