Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-02-2005, 07:56 AM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Burress says, "Its my time"

We ALL saw this coming.. he's outta Pittsburgh, and now with a new team, and he's shooting his mouth off that he FINALLY is getting the chances he deserves !! WTF !!

April 1, 2005 -- The controversial way he arrived (late), left (abruptly) and finally signed (surprisingly) made for interesting theater but will be long forgotten the first time Plaxico Burress steps on the field and delivers the goods. Then, his new teammates and Giants fans will want to know only one thing: How good is this guy?

Burress believes he already knows. His five years in Pittsburgh are best characterized as unfulfilled potential, but the way he sees it, he did the best with that he could.

"You don't always get everything you want right away," Burress said yesterday after a workout at Giants Stadium. "Now is my time to go out and show everybody what I'm capable of doing. I don't know what it feels like to get the ball thrown at you 10, 12 times a game. That's how many times we threw the ball in a whole game. I've just waited for my time to come, and my time has arrived."

The Giants sure hope so. They signed Burress, 27, to a six-year, $25 million contract in the hopes that he blossoms into a big-time receiver. His production with the Steelers reveals he's a good player, not a great one, but Burress is adamant that his numbers are plenty good, considering he worked within an offense that ran the ball far more than it passed it.

"For the opportunities I was presented I think I did more than what was expected of me," said Burress, who also pointed out he played with four different starting quarterbacks the past five years. "Being in an offense only throwing the ball 15 times a game, and I'm a wide receiver, not a running back, so how much do you expect me to flourish in a system that's not meant for you? There's going to be a lot more opportunities for me and I just expect myself to just go to another level."

There are lingering whispers about Burress having an attitude problem and the fact that he failed to show up for his first visit with the Giants and then turned down the Giants' initial offer did not help. Burress said his former agent, Michael Harrison, did not give him the exact details of the deal. "Kind of a misunderstanding between me and him," said Burress, who fired Harrison, hired Drew Rosenhaus and promptly got a slightly more lucrative package.

"I come to work, I work hard, I really don't say a lot and go home," Burress said. "If people have a problem with that, then so be it. All I can be is me. I've been myself for the past five years, I haven't changed for anybody, as long as I know the guys respect me and I have a respect for them, that's all that matters in the clubhouse."

As far as dealing with the no-nonsense regime of Tom Coughlin, Burress actually believes the two are kindred spirits. "He is pretty much the same way I am," Burress said. "He really doesn't have much to say. He comes to work, he wants to win, and that's all I want to do. I wouldn't be here if I didn't like the coach."

Expected to be a hot commodity, Burress received little interest, a slight he says ensures he'll have a chip on his shoulder: "Somewhere along the line it seemed like a lot of people turned their back on me. For some reason, there was one particular person, I don't know who it was, was trying to slander my name and tell people I was a bad person.

"I got a new beginning, a new start, to go out and do some unprecedented things. I, for one, can't wait for it to happen."

------------------------

Hey you worthless chump.. who in the hell do you think you are trying to make it out like we never gave you a chance to succeed !!! You started from DAY 1 here and dropped as many balls as you ever caught !! WTF !!!! and oh by the way, Hines Ward played for those same starting QB's that you mentioned, and um, what happened with him, oh thats right, HE WENT TO 4 STRAIGHT PRO BOWLS AND 4 STRAIGHT 1000 YD SEASONS !!!!!! WTF !!! You ungrateful tard !!!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
HinesWard4Life8682
Starter

Member Number: 323
Default Re: Burress says, "Its my time"

hes gonna get injured anyways
Old 04-02-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 340

He's so ungrateful! I can not wait until the Giants come to Heinz Field to play, and I hope Burress drops so many passes and everybody can see what an ungrateful, selfish, immature "football player" he really is. I am sorry, but for him to play for the Steelers and then turn around and stick a knife in our backs, thats just wrong. The Pittsburgh Steelers made him who he is today, not saying that he is great by any means. So as far as I am concerned, I hope the Steelers and the Giants both make it to the AFC Championship game and we get homefield and advantage just so Burress can see what he lost. And then when we beat them in the AFC Championship game, he can go home crying! Sorry.

~AllAmer~
AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

all i have to add is, "Its my time now" ..well why wasnt it your time for the last 5 years!!
Old 04-02-2005, 11:31 PM   #5
HinesWard4Life8682
Starter

Member Number: 323

allamericangirl, its impossible for the giants to come to the AFC championship game, they are in the NFC
Old 04-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

As nice as it would be to have a 6`5" receiver, good riddens I`m glad he`s gone. He had ample oppurtunities in the Burgh. Thank God we got our crap together the last few years and came up with some ligit 1st rounders. Steelers most have fallen asleep in back to back years with plax and edwards, neither were deserving of a 1st round let alone 1st rounders money.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:41 PM   #7
AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 340

O sorry about that. Maybe the SuperBowl then, but thats doubtful for the Giants. I have a question, how can the New York Jets be in the AFC and the New York Giants be from the NFC?? They are from the same state. Are you sure they are NFC??? Just wondering...

~AllAmer~
AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #8
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Most definately the Giants are the NFC and the Jets are the AFC.. its the same premise as the Eagles and Steelers in PA. The way the NFL has alligned itself, and with those particular teams, they date back to the AFL/NFL days.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:33 AM   #9
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Plax, you won 15 games throwing the ball 15-20 times a game. Teams that threw it more were home in January.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:00 PM   #10
CrunchieBus
Water Boy

Member Number: 355

Ive always had a soft spot in my heat for Plaxico for quite awhile when he was with the Steelers, he always seemed to be misunderstood... but after this crap he's said and the way he's pouted the last couple years. good riddance to him !!
CrunchieBus is offline   Reply With Quote