Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-09-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,504 Times in 3,739 Posts
Default Rick Reilly Article On Cowher

This link is to premium Sports Illustrated coverage, so hopefully the link will go through. If not, let me know and I will post the entire Rick Reilly article on Bill Cowher from this week's Sports Illustrated.

It's been a long time coming, but the Steelers certainly are the media darlings now.

http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs2/s...213/index.html
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,279 Times in 646 Posts
Default Re: Rick Reilly Article On Cowher

yah, need to post, cant get through
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Get Tagliabue on his cell! Call an emergency meeting! File a grievance! Something so disturbing and wrong happened on Sunday at the Super Bowl that heads must roll!

A simple, humble man became the Super Bowl XL hero.

Can't be! Aren't Super Bowl heroes supposed to wear $7,000 Italian suits, flash enough bling to make Stevie Wonder's eyes hurt and have egos so big they follow in their own Escalades? Don't they come with a wife, a girlfriend and a posse? The closest this bumpkin has ever been to a posse is Bonanza.

Take a good look at this guy -- Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher. He's got the nose of a nearsighted boxer, rock-pile teeth and a mustache stolen from the Village People. For Super Bowl week he wore flood-ready khakis, logoless tennis shoes and what looked like a $40 watch. "On TV we've seen what he's been wearing," said his 18-year-old daughter, Lauren, who, like the rest of the family, didn't get to Detroit until game day. "And we're like, That's 'cause none of us are there!"

It's not just his wardrobe that's straight out of Mayberry. It's his integrity, too. Cowher, 48, won't do ads, books or billboards. Doesn't want the attention. Won't move into a fancier house. Won't miss watching Lauren and her 14-year-old sister, Lindsay, play high school basketball, just as he regularly watched Meagan, who now stars for Princeton.

Madison Avenue must be reaching for their Tums. We have to make a star out of this clunk?

But like it or not, after 14 years of trying, Cowher has finally slain his Super Bowl beast, beating the Seattle Microchips 21-10 at Ford Field. He led a team with a second-year quarterback and an overweight running back to eight straight victories -- the last four on the road in the playoffs -- winning the Super Bowl as a sixth seed, the equivalent of cutting the Hope diamond with a spork.

Here was his moment at the 50-yard line, the dessert cart rolled out just for him. He grabbed his three daughters and his wife, Kaye, right there, with a minute still left on the clock. He'd waited 14 years; he wasn't waiting anymore. And in the greatest huddle of his life he screamed, "I just want you to know that you four mean more to me than anything in the world! And at the count of three we're all going to do a giant high five!"

And they did.

And that's when the big galoot cried like the mother of the bride.

Well, you might have too, if on the way to your desk every workday for a decade and a half you'd walked past four Lombardi trophies that somebody else had won. And how would you like to have lost four AFC Championship Games at home and one Super Bowl, setting the record for Most Times, Chin Kept Up?

And that's why, when Cowher finally snagged the Big One on Sunday, it was an utter befuddlement to him. No coach in history has had as many regular-season victories (143) without winning a Super Bowl. He'd always dressed for blizzards. What was he supposed to do at the beach?

After an hour of giving credit to everybody but himself, he finally found himself almost alone in the coaches' locker room. He got butt-naked for a shower, changed his mind, sat down on a folding chair, lit up a very fat cigar and stuck it in the middle of a smile that you could've seen from Pluto.

Fess up: Would you have been complete without a Super Bowl win?

"To be honest, all those championship-game losses hurt me so bad, I stopped thinking about titles," he puffed. "I just refused to think about a championship. I learned to think about the game and nothing else. Nothing about what it meant. I just always prepared myself for the worst. I never let myself think about what it'd be like to win a Super Bowl. I didn't want to be hurt again."

Sorry, Bubba, you're stuck with it, and good luck finding somebody in the league who's not happy for you.

"Everybody talked all week about how we were trying to win this for Jerome [Bettis]," said linebacker Joey Porter. "That's true. But we wanted this just as much for Coach.... To finally win it all, that erases all the doubt about this man."

Cowher wasn't going to get ****y. "Tomorrow night I'm back to being an assistant coach," he admitted. "My four women tell me what to do, and I do it." He was scheduled to sit in yet another drafty high school gym the very next night, watching his daughters play basketball, parade or no parade.

"It'll be great to have him home," said Lauren. "We can dress him again."

Issue date: February 13, 2006
Old 02-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Here is the Rick Reilly article from this week's SI (Hines Ward on cover)

Fanfare for a Common Man

Get Tagliabue on his cell! Call an emergency meeting! File a grievance! Something so disturbing and wrong happened on Sunday at the Super Bowl that heads must roll!

A simple, humble man became the Super Bowl XL hero.

Can't be! Aren't Super Bowl heroes supposed to wear $7,000 Italian suits, flash enough bling to make Stevie Wonder's eyes hurt and have egos so big they follow in their own Escalades? Don't they come with a wife, a girlfriend and a posse? The closest this bumpkin has ever been to a posse is Bonanza.

Take a good look at this guy -- Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher. He's got the nose of a nearsighted boxer, rock-pile teeth and a mustache stolen from the Village People. For Super Bowl week he wore flood-ready khakis, logoless tennis shoes and what looked like a $40 watch. "On TV we've seen what he's been wearing," said his 18-year-old daughter, Lauren, who, like the rest of the family, didn't get to Detroit until game day. "And we're like, That's 'cause none of us are there!"

It's not just his wardrobe that's straight out of Mayberry. It's his integrity, too. Cowher, 48, won't do ads, books or billboards. Doesn't want the attention. Won't move into a fancier house. Won't miss watching Lauren and her 14-year-old sister, Lindsay, play high school basketball, just as he regularly watched Meagan, who now stars for Princeton.

Madison Avenue must be reaching for their Tums. We have to make a star out of this clunk?

But like it or not, after 14 years of trying, Cowher has finally slain his Super Bowl beast, beating the Seattle Microchips 21-10 at Ford Field. He led a team with a second-year quarterback and an overweight running back to eight straight victories -- the last four on the road in the playoffs -- winning the Super Bowl as a sixth seed, the equivalent of cutting the Hope diamond with a spork.

Here was his moment at the 50-yard line, the dessert cart rolled out just for him. He grabbed his three daughters and his wife, Kaye, right there, with a minute still left on the clock. He'd waited 14 years; he wasn't waiting anymore. And in the greatest huddle of his life he screamed, "I just want you to know that you four mean more to me than anything in the world! And at the count of three we're all going to do a giant high five!"

And they did.

And that's when the big galoot cried like the mother of the bride.

Well, you might have too, if on the way to your desk every workday for a decade and a half you'd walked past four Lombardi trophies that somebody else had won. And how would you like to have lost four AFC Championship Games at home and one Super Bowl, setting the record for Most Times, Chin Kept Up?

And that's why, when Cowher finally snagged the Big One on Sunday, it was an utter befuddlement to him. No coach in history has had as many regular-season victories (143) without winning a Super Bowl. He'd always dressed for blizzards. What was he supposed to do at the beach?

After an hour of giving credit to everybody but himself, he finally found himself almost alone in the coaches' locker room. He got butt-naked for a shower, changed his mind, sat down on a folding chair, lit up a very fat cigar and stuck it in the middle of a smile that you could've seen from Pluto.

Fess up: Would you have been complete without a Super Bowl win?

"To be honest, all those championship-game losses hurt me so bad, I stopped thinking about titles," he puffed. "I just refused to think about a championship. I learned to think about the game and nothing else. Nothing about what it meant. I just always prepared myself for the worst. I never let myself think about what it'd be like to win a Super Bowl. I didn't want to be hurt again."

Sorry, Bubba, you're stuck with it, and good luck finding somebody in the league who's not happy for you.

"Everybody talked all week about how we were trying to win this for Jerome [Bettis]," said linebacker Joey Porter. "That's true. But we wanted this just as much for Coach.... To finally win it all, that erases all the doubt about this man."

Cowher wasn't going to get ****y. "Tomorrow night I'm back to being an assistant coach," he admitted. "My four women tell me what to do, and I do it." He was scheduled to sit in yet another drafty high school gym the very next night, watching his daughters play basketball, parade or no parade.

"It'll be great to have him home," said Lauren. "We can dress him again."

Issue date: February 13, 2006
Old 02-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

It's nice to start seeing the LONG overdue (and a little longer due to the nonsense about the officiating) accolades start to pour in. Nobody ever did more with less for longer than Cowher did, and he deserves every single piece of positive press he can get.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Ya know there are some fans out here in Philly and some of the sports media that want a Bill "Cahr" type coach for the Eagles.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm
Ya know there are some fans out here in Philly and some of the sports media that want a Bill "Cahr" type coach for the Eagles.
Are you kidding? Just about every team in the NFL covets him, and they always have.

Make no mistake about it, Cowher earned his way into the NFL HOF by taking mediocre talent and taking it farther than any other coach in the history of the game. By winning a SB he just got his induction as a first ballot.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #8
Tim
Starter

Member Number: 661

I'm very amused. So often people wanted him fired for not winning the "big game", and now look. He wins a superbowl, essentially in a season that had little hope of that, and now fans of many other teams are wondering why they don't have a coach like ours.

I love it. I hope Cowher sticks with the Steelers for as long as he feels like coaching. I'm betting that the Rooney's will keep him around that long too.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Cowher will never forget Dan Rooney backing him over Donohoe (a decision with which I disagreed at the time) in 1999 coming off a 6-10 season and extending his contrat after the 2003 6-10 fiasco. Loyalty is a 2 way street with those two.

I would bet Cowher will never coach anywhere else.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:45 PM   #10
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
I'm betting that the Rooney's will keep him around that long too.
I tend to agree with this thought.....

Noll, for all he did in turning this franchise around from perenial-losers to League power-house, seemed 'to-aloof' to most Pittsburghers, who wanted a 'shot-and-a-beer' kinda guy:
now that Cowher has HIS Championship won, his stature will only grow in this town, and future Championships, should they come, will increase his reputation nationally.

I was as-frustrated-as the next guy, all these years of losing Championship Games, at-home, to teams that weren't always THAT-much, if at-all, better than the Stillers, yet, whenever I thought it was HIS fault, I couldn't figure-out just WHO would be a better coach for this team, and this city, THAN Bill Cowher:
he'd moulded teams for many seasons, based-on defense and running the ball (just like Noll ), in an era of 'pass-and-tab', often-times with sub-standard players at the so-called 'skill-positions', and continually churned-out competitive teams that made this town proud, with it's own-style of 'SMASH-MOUTH' football.

5 weeks-ago, with no previous road playoff-wins to this team's credit since New Year's Eve 1989, I figured, "Well..... here we go AGAIN!!!!!" :

I am so glad that Bill Cowher and his staff have made an azz-hat out-of me!
4xSBChamps is offline   Reply With Quote