Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Rick Reilly Article On Cowher

As a "Cowher apologist" and all that jazz, this is a sweet moment.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,967 Times in 4,545 Posts

the unique thing about cowher, and i never really thought about too much, is that cowher is and always has been a FAN of the pittsburgh steelers. we all know he grew up rooting for the steelers but this is still true today. he is living out his dream job and in many aspects he is just like us fans in regards to the team. he has a little extra incentive to see THIS team win.

another cowher 'apologist" feeling vindication. but more than that, happiness for cowher, the rooneys, and the city of pittsburgh.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #13
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

I got my issue of SI this evening primarily for the cover but I did read that Rick Reilly article about Bill Cowher which was absolutely fantastic and I have to say I couldn't be happier to see him finally get that Lombardi Trophy........and after reading that article I have to admit I felt a little ashamed of myself for the times I bashed and criticized him.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:09 AM   #14
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
This link is to premium Sports Illustrated coverage, so hopefully the link will go through. If not, let me know and I will post the entire Rick Reilly article on Bill Cowher from this week's Sports Illustrated.

It's been a long time coming, but the Steelers certainly are the media darlings now.

http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs2/s...213/index.html

Thanks. I didn't want to register.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:23 AM   #15
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

The issue itself is worth picking up, folks. There's a part where every SI cover about the Steelers is shown, and I remember SO many of them, spanning my life, reading a large % of them in my bathroom! LOL!

Get that commemorative issue, by ALL means.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #16
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 841

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps
I tend to agree with this thought.....

Noll, for all he did in turning this franchise around from perenial-losers to League power-house, seemed 'to-aloof' to most Pittsburghers, who wanted a 'shot-and-a-beer' kinda guy:
now that Cowher has HIS Championship won, his stature will only grow in this town, and future Championships, should they come, will increase his reputation nationally.

I was as-frustrated-as the next guy, all these years of losing Championship Games, at-home, to teams that weren't always THAT-much, if at-all, better than the Stillers, yet, whenever I thought it was HIS fault, I couldn't figure-out just WHO would be a better coach for this team, and this city, THAN Bill Cowher:
he'd moulded teams for many seasons, based-on defense and running the ball (just like Noll ), in an era of 'pass-and-tab', often-times with sub-standard players at the so-called 'skill-positions', and continually churned-out competitive teams that made this town proud, with it's own-style of 'SMASH-MOUTH' football.

5 weeks-ago, with no previous road playoff-wins to this team's credit since New Year's Eve 1989, I figured, "Well..... here we go AGAIN!!!!!" :

I am so glad that Bill Cowher and his staff have made an azz-hat out-of me!
The biggest problem I had with Cowher was during the 2003 season, when that team only won six games - most of which by accident. I was upset because it seemed Cowher allowed The Worst Coach In Football Mike Mularkey to take way too much control of the offense, but he corrected that mistake the following season (when Buffalo mercifully took MM off our hands). The other losing years he had? To blame that on coaching is myopic and near-sighted. Flat-out ignorant, even. Half the team left via free agency, and there were a lot of young players who weren't ready to play yet. But those teams always rebounded within a season or two, and now the city of Pittsburgh, Steelers fans, and perhaps most importantly, Bill Cowher, has a Super Bowl title.

And thanks to Rick Reilly's sometimes obnoxious hyperbole, people will see it that way. A good guy finishing first.

(that last statement is no disrespect to Bill Belichick or Jon Gruden. Great coaches)
MNsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #17
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

I'm thrilled Bill Cowher is now getting the recognition he so richly deserves...

Pittsburgh born...Pittsburgh bred..and now a Pittsburgh champion

Kudos Bill....