Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
Big
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16315
My Mood: Tired
Default Ben talks to media, answers two questions

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...to-the-media/1

PITTSBURGH -- Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had a smile on his face as he met the media today for the first time since being reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to practice with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The two-time Super Bowl winner still faces a 4-6 game suspension at the start of the regular season. He was disciplined by Goodell April 21 under the league's personal conduct policy. After ducking the media for two days, he said he was happy to be back with his "brothers" and intent on a making a lifestyle correction.

"I know you guys have been waiting for a long time to talk to me, as I have to you," Roethlisberger told a swarm of reporters who crowded around him on the practice field.

"It's been a long time away. It's been hard. But I spent a lot of time and effort and working hard both on and off the field while I've been gone. It's not the same. I love football to death. But I think it's meant more to be out here with my teammates, my brothers, my family, if you will."

Goodell imposed his discipline in the aftermath of a sexual assault complaint filed March 5 against Roethlisberger by a 20-year-old college student in Milledgeville, Ga.

Georgia authorities decided not to file criminal charges in the case. But Roethlisberger was disciplined under the NFL's personal conduct policy and required to under behavioral analysis by medical professionals and follow what the league describes only as a "recommended plan" as a requirement of eventual reinstatement.

Goodell has yet to rule on whether the suspension will be trimmed to four games. He's left open the possibility it could be lengthened if Roethlisberger does not adhere to the plan.

"I put a lot of thought into my life, the decisions that I've made in the past sitting home thinking about things," said Roethlisberger, slimmed down from past off-seasons.

"I've been working closely with the commissioners on ways to make changes, corrections. So I'm looking forward to this second chance and second opportunity, not just in football because I think everyone knows what you're going to get in football, but in life. I think that's what's more important."

The sexual assault complaint was filed on a night when Roethlisberger and a group of friends were bar-hopping in Milledgeville a few days removed from Roethlisberger's 28th birthday. The complaint filed by the 20-year-old woman alleged she was sexually assaulted by Roethlisberger in a small bathroom at a Milledgeville night club. Georgia authorities said there was insufficient evidence, including DNA evidence, to prosecute a rape charge in the case.

After making an initial statement today, Roethlisberger took just a couple of questions from the media.

He was initially asked about the support of his teammates.

"It's been great to read and hear from those guys, not just text messages and calls that they've send to me, tto read the things in the media that they said. It's great to be out here with my brothers because they really are family to me," he said.

"I've spent a lot of time evaluating and looking at my life both on and off the field, and I think this is a time for me to kind of close the chapter on the last couple of years of my life and move on to a new one, kind of a new start. So I'm really excited about it.''

What specifically is he looking to change?

"A lot of them are personal things, which is just something I need to do. But it's been neat being able to really reevaluate my life and spend time with my family and kind of reevaluate and refigure what's important in life,'' he said.

"And that's me evaluating what I need to do and be smarter when it comes to certain things. It's a new chapter, and I'm looking forward to it, and it starts with football. So I'm glad to be back out there."

A member of the Steelers media relations staff ended the session after two questions.
"I'll be talking to you guys a lot more," said Roethlisberger.

He'll also be meeting for a second time with Goodell. In a press release last week, the e NFL said the commissioner continues to "monitor Roethlisberger's progress" and will meet withy him at the "appropriate time." Roethlisberger also met with Goodell prior to the suspension.

-- Gary Mihoces
Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Ben talks to media, answers two questions

I want to believe that Ben is serious about changing his life. He has a long road of changing his national image... I wish him luck...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

It appears, so far, that he is. He's done what he could do so far in coming to camp in shape. All he can do is take advantate of the opportunities he will have to prove that he is a changed man. I'm certainly willing to give him a chance.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Mocha Latte
Water Boy

Member Number: 16344

Hope that he really is ready to change. Thought he had changed after the motorcycle incident, then again after the first rape fiasco now this one, he really needs to rethink his personal time and stop acting like a college kid because there are too many people out there willing to take his job away from him.

My drug of choice is caffeine
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i hope he changes for the better and leads us to at least 2 more superbowl wins
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

During my visit to Pittsburgh a couple weeks ago ; all I kept hearing people say was " he's our QB and thats all I have to say '...enough said from the home crowd... all we care about is winning ; not about how he acts in public ......seems like we have chosen to put up w/ his BS and he got a pass from the Rooneys....

I hope he makes good on his replies to make better decisions... I am a Ben fan ; but it bothered me that everyone had the same thing to say while in Pittsburgh ... " He's our QB & that's all I have to say " .
Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 AM   #7
shinoff2183
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13979

I still wont except his suspension until ray lewis is suspended for his say so involvement in murder. All we/they got on ben is say so. So **** goodell
shinoff2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
Big
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16315
My Mood: Tired

I believe he is serious about it.....He is working with the Commish to make sure he is doing all the right things, at least according to Goodell.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
BleedBlacknGold0
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7140

So far everyone I talk to (even Raven fans) seem to think he shouldn't serve a suspension. I am glad he's starting to talk.

Hopefully we hear less horror stories now lol
BleedBlacknGold0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183

I still and will always think of him as a serial rapist.
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote