Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 06-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Ben or Byron

The Steeler Nation will be holding its breath when the regular season kicks off against the Atlanta Falcons on September 12th. Will the team be lousy without its star quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, or will they fly high under the veteran leadership of Byron Leftwich?

Leftwich’s numbers were never big when was at his best in Jacksonville. Then again, Leftwich was never known as a gunslinger, but more as a game manager which could be exactly what the Steelers need if they are going to return to being a running team that controls the ball.

The Steelers are a virtual mess right now thanks to the controversy surrounding Ben Roethlisberger and Santonio Holmes before he was traded. The team did not look very good at times with Roethlisberger behind center including a five game losing streak that took the defending champions out of the playoff hunt.

If Leftwich is able to rally the troops and get the Steelers off to a strong start should Tomlin leave well enough alone?

It would be easy if Tomlin or Leftwich would publicly state their feelings one way or the other. Tomlin has said nothing on the issue; when Leftwich did speak he did little to clear things up.

"I don't know. That's not a decision for me but that's a good problem to have. It's a good problem to have and I'm quite sure [Roethlisberger will] say the same thing. You want to go out there and, every chance you get, get a chance to win football games because we're all in it for one thing. We're all trying to win football games and hopefully you can win a championship.”

http://www.playerpress.com/articles/...roethlisberger
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Default Re: Ben or Byron

i dont care how well Leftwich does while ben is out, rothlisberger is our starter. Leftwich already proved numerous times that he can not be a consistent starter
Old 06-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Bubbabanjo
Banned

Member Number: 15711

IF.....Ben comes back in shape and ready....by then Leftwich may be banged up anyhow...our line is a mess.

Time will tell. We have bigger problems.....a secondary thats a siv. No running game. No run blocking. No pass rush.

Best reciever gone....for nuthin. Oooooooooooooooof.
Bubbabanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
steelcityboyz
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11344
My Mood: Cool

Ben is the starter when he gets back, period.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbabanjo View Post
IF.....Ben comes back in shape and ready....by then Leftwich may be banged up anyhow...our line is a mess.

Time will tell. We have bigger problems.....a secondary thats a siv. No running game. No run blocking. No pass rush.

Best reciever gone....for nuthin. Oooooooooooooooof.
Doom and gloom...the sky is falling.

1) Secondary that is a sieve: Correct me if I am mistaken, but we still ranked #18 against the pass last year, and had the #5 overall defense.

That same "sieve" is the defense that was #1 in every category a year ago. Also, looking at their past track record, I think it is safe to assume this roster of guys had a bad year last year, and that was the exception, rather than the norm.

Our secondary will be fine.....actually STELLAR.

2) No running game: Even in a pass-heavy offense (that telegraphs its running plays beforehand), Mendenhall averaged 4.6 YPC last year behind a patchwork offensive line, and finished the year with over 1000 yards. We added some more talent to our RB corps, some more muscle to our offensive line, and a renewed dedication to the run game.

Our running game will be fine....actually STELLAR.

3) No run blocking: See above. Mendenhall averaged 4/6 YPC in very obvious situations. The run blocking isn't that bad....that is one of our Oline's strengths as a matter of fact.

4) No pass rush: No need to comment at all.....foolish comment with little or no basis in reality. Couldn't be farther from the truth either....

5) Best receiver gone: Nope, we still have Hines Ward... Wallace might take that title this year too.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:00 AM   #6
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Did you see the qb compition from 05 on nfl network?.......Lefty out threw Ben by about 8 yards in the deep ball comp......I bet the deep balls will be flying to Wallace the first 4 games..............
Old 06-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

We will be fine and, look lefty was hurt last year. Plus the bucs are rebuilding.
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
snake12
Water Boy

Member Number: 16373

What if Byron wins the first four out of the gate?
snake12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

i think his only chance to play after ben's suspension is if he throws 4 perfect games. im talking 400 yards and 4 touchdowns in every game. if that happens they may have to ride him longer but i dont see it as a possibility because byron isnt that good
Old 06-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
i think his only chance to play after ben's suspension is if he throws 4 perfect games. im talking 400 yards and 4 touchdowns in every game. if that happens they may have to ride him longer but i dont see it as a possibility because byron isnt that good
I don't think that would even allow Leftoversandwich from taking Ben's job-- remember, they aren't going to willingly bench a $100 million man....