Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Smith, back in form

As the OTA session ended, the majority of players made their way into the weight room, ready for cardio before finishing their day.

But Aaron Smith led a group of defensive linemen to the blocking sleds, looking to get just a little more work in before packing it in.

He was the first guy walking over there, said fellow defensive end Brett Keisel. He is our leader.

A leader who was sorely missed last year, sidelined after the fifth game of the season with a torn rotator cuff. But Smith is back, getting on the field earlier than many thought and taking part in the OTAs.

I still have a ways to go but I am starting to get back in the flow of things, getting back into football, said Smith.

For veterans OTAs are normally a necessary evil, a warm-up for training camp when things really get down to business. But for Smith its a whole different ball game this year.

Its fun, Smith admitted. You really appreciate things when things are taken away from you and you dont have the opportunity to do them. I really am enjoying this, coming out here and running around, being able to compete and have fun with the guys.

Smith is taking advantage of the pace at OTAs, which are in shorts, no pads, no hitting, to work his way back into the swing of things before training camp rolls around.

Its an opportunity for me to get my skills back to where I want them to be and to get back to being comfortable out there on the field, said Smith. I consider it a rehab, re-learning process right now. It will be nice because when I get to camp I will have already gone through all of this and be ready to go. Its nicer right now to be doing this because everybody is not trying to kill one another. You get a chance to test it out when you want to test it out and you can protect it when you want.

Smith wasted no time getting on the road to recovery, starting on his rehab the minute he was given the green light by the teams athletic training staff. But what was tougher was the mental part of it.

Its hard to watch your teammates go out there and play games and you not be able to contribute and help out in any way, said Smith. Its hard to do and hard to watch. Its more mental than physical. The physical part you can work through. The mental part is where you have to fight. That was the hardest part. You dont want to get too down, or too upset. You have to fight all of those bad thoughts in your head.
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Default Re: Smith, back in form

im a huge Aaron Smith fan and im extremly excited to have him back. with Aaron and Troy back we should once again have a top defense
Old 06-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
billybob49
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15844

Smith has been here since he was drafted , and a starter. Its not hard to imagine us getting better as soon as he hits the field . Instantaniously better , and with Troy back to boot , 2X better !

I can't wait until we get a chance to check out our cb, and safety, back-ups situation .
I can see us returning to a stingey defense this year .

Most unmotivational poster ,(and billybob) .....LOL
billybob49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

He is 33 years old and makes 6 mill plus this season. By starting Smith all you are doing is holding Ziggy back. Ill take Ziggy and his 1 mill any day. We need that money for younger, faster players.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

im hoping Hood is in a rotation with both ends were they all get equal playing time
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
billybob49
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15844

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
He is 33 years old and makes 6 mill plus this season. By starting Smith all you are doing is holding Ziggy back. Ill take Ziggy and his 1 mill any day. We need that money for younger, faster players.
in my opinion he's worth every penny of it . if someone can unseat him from his starting job , then i'm all for starting someone else. i have to see it first .

Most unmotivational poster ,(and billybob) .....LOL
billybob49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Smith is arguably the best 3/4 defensive end in the NFL. No way we get rid of him to play Ziggy Hood who is not ready. Get Ziggy a year under his belt watching Aaron Smith and he will be all the better for it. He only got to see Smith for 5 games last year. Smith is one of my favorite unsung Steelers. Those who know football know he is the best there is.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

I say play Brett K, Aaron S, Hood and Sunny H in a rotation and whoever does the best plays longer.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I say play Brett K, Aaron S, Hood and Sunny H in a rotation and whoever does the best plays longer.
I agreee ... and this will help keep the "older" guys much more fresh later in games and later into the season (and playoffs).
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
shawnb
Water Boy

Member Number: 16060

Smith always played a huge role in steelers defense success, now both Smith and Troy are back, again they will be the top defence.
shawnb is offline   Reply With Quote