Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-08-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default tomlin's contract

Since the close of the 2009 season, I've deliberated over when and why Steelers coach Mike Tomlin will sign a eagerly anticipated contract extension. Or, if he deserves one.

As we enter the second week in June, with offseason workouts concluding Thursday and Tomlin entering the final year of his contract, my thoughts are clear.

I don't believe the Steelers' brass is completely sold on Tomlin.

Several factors nudged me toward that opinion.

When Tomlin won Super Bowl XLIII in his second season, becoming the youngest coach in NFL history to do so, his star was never higher. Yet, the Steelers didn't pull the trigger on a new deal.

Maybe Tomlin's asking price is too high. Or, maybe the Steelers want more time to determine if Tomlin is another George Seifert or Barry Switzer coaches who won a Super Bowl with someone else's players.

Does Tomlin deserve a contract extension? Of course he does.

But contract extensions should be a joyous occasion for both sides. The lack of urgency toward a new deal for Tomlin has become quite painful.

What strikes a nerve for me about the lack of a new deal for Tomlin is the team's track record for taking care of its coaches who win.

Tomlin's three-year coaching record is 31-17 with two playoff appearances. He's 3-1 in the postseason.

Consider that Steelers management never failed to re-sign Bill Cowher with fewer than two years on his contract until the last moment.

In 2006, the sides failed to agree on a new deal. When Cowher resigned following the 2006 season, he had one year left on his contract.

In January, team president Art Rooney II told the Tribune-Review, "I think Mike's going to be our coach for a long time. That's certainly what we're shooting for, and that's his intention, so we'll deal with it at the appropriate time."

The "appropriate time" might have been a few months ago, but a lot has happened since January. Not the least of which is that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will open the season apart from his teammates after violating the league's personal conduct policy.

Other significant changes have also taken place.

Rooney promised the Steelers will concentrate more on the run despite a record- setting passing output in 2009 not at all what Tomlin and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians envisioned following last year's high-octane attack.

For another, the Steelers re-signed two players from other teams who lost their starting jobs under Tomlin linebacker Larry Foote and cornerback Bryant McFadden.

Rarely does a coach, particularly a Steelers coach, bring back players he determined were no longer starters after letting them go not to mention signing both players to contract extensions upon their return.

What's telling for me is a slight shift in philosophy on offense and defense away from Tomlin's point of view.

For instance, while Tomlin spoke repeatedly about his secondary needing to create more splash plays for example, interceptions during the team's five-game losing streak last season, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau told me recently, "I don't really use interceptions as an evaluating criteria. I think they're nice, they're good you want them. (But) the No. 1 thing is the other guy doesn't catch the ball."

Of course, the Steelers could sign Tomlin to a new deal before the end of the week. Management may want to have Tomlin's contract situation settled before the start of training camp July 30 so as to not create another distraction along with the media circus that's sure to shadow Roethlisberger around Latrobe.

After all, the last thing management wants to do is give players the impression that Tomlin, even though the team holds an option on his contract for the 2011 season, isn't going to be their coach for a long time unless he's not their long-term choice.

The same holds true for some of the assistants hired when Tomlin took over in 2007. That includes Arians, who was the target of offseason media reports that Tomlin considered letting him go a charge Tomlin denies.

Put another way: If the Steelers don't sign Tomlin to a new deal before the start of the season, it's a vote of no-confidence for a coach who made history in his second season

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_684884.html
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
mwittman5
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9332
Default Re: tomlin's contract

well if the steelers succeed this year Tomlin earned every penny to deserve a new contract
Old 06-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
billybob49
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15844

Tomlin will get his dues , i'm sure of that . He does not seem like the type to put himself before the team . It was not really his team to begin with , but he did pretty well with what he had to take over with . A championship caliber team . He made very few changes in his first few years at the helm . I do believe he knows football . Maybe he was reluctant to make big changes right from jump street . I think it's a good policy , if something ain't broke , don't fix it . He's had his learning process also . This will be a nice year for him to show what he has learned . He holds one of the most prestigious jobs in all of sports , with a franchise that does not go around changing coaches just for the heck of it . I think he is doing an admirable job thus far . Doesn't seem like he is whining about any contract extension , but going about his job . The rest will take care of itself .

Most unmotivational poster ,(and billybob) .....LOL
billybob49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Tomlin will get a new contract and will continue the tradition of long serving coaches for the Steelers.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #5
steelersfan782
Water Boy

Member Number: 14592

Tomlin needs to be let go. Period.
steelersfan782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan782 View Post
?????
Old 06-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #7
Big
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16315
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
there's a quote without a reason.......Tomlin deserves at least 5 more years and he will get it. The Steelers have bigger problems along with the rest of the league and that problem is, will there be football in 2011?

Tomlin hasn't been resigned for the same reason the Colts haven't extended Mannings contract.......2011.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Tomlin will be resigned within a year if he dosnt mess something up bad.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
billybob49
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15844

Tomlin will handle whatever comes his way . I believe that wholeheartedly . He doesn't seem to be making a big issue out of it . He is a proffessional , and he is carrying himself in such a manor . That might set an example for other coaches , and maybe even some players here and there . Being a coach , you have to keep your mind on the team . It could lead to a whole lot of negative vibrations otherwise .

Most unmotivational poster ,(and billybob) .....LOL
billybob49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Goofy

Quote:
So what is your beef with Tomlin?