Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Big Ben blames problems on immaturity

PITTSBURGH (AP)—A contrite Ben Roethlisberger(notes) said he got caught up in being a caricature called Big Ben, not the grounded player and person he once was, leading to his off-field problems and affecting his play as the Steelers quarterback.

“Big Ben just kept building up. It ended up coming off the field. It kept taking over. Superman kept taking over Clark Kent and you just never saw who Ben Roethlisberger was any more,” Roethlisberger told KDKA-TV. “At the time, I didn’t see it. I was gaining everything but I was losing a lot of who I was raised to be. It got so overwhelming, it consumed me.”

In his first detailed interviews since a Georgia college student accused him of sexually assaulting her in a nightclub bathroom on March 5, Roethlisberger told two Pittsburgh stations he doesn’t have an alcohol problem. Before the alleged assault, Roethlisberger and his party ordered considerable amounts of alcohol.

When the NFL announced Roethlisberger’s six-game suspension on April 21, commissioner Roger Goodell said the quarterback was required to undergo evaluation. Neither the league nor Roethlisberger have detailed what was being evaluated or how long the evaluations would last.

While Roethlisberger told KDKA there were drinking issues on his late mother’s side of the family, he said his father, Ken, never permitted alcohol in their house, even when the quarterback played at Miami (Ohio).

Related Video Fantasy Football Live Fantasy Football Live

Fantasy playoff pickups

Our locks to win
More NFL Videos ADVERTISEMENT

Roethlisberger didn’t promise he wouldn’t use alcohol again, but said he must make “smart” decisions.

“Moving forward, you have to make sure you make the right decision, and that right decision is something I’m going to have to make, when that (alcohol) situation presents itself,” he told KDKA in an interview that was aired Thursday. “You can’t stop living, but you’ve got to live smart.”

He did promise he won’t go back to being the ego-driven, rude and boorish person he was before, not only in public but in private. Among those he has consulted for advice are former Steelers coach Bill Cowher—Roethlisberger said the two are much closer than they were before—and former Steelers running back Merril Hoge, now an NFL analyst.

The interviews were aired one day after 60 audio and video clips from the investigation were released by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. In several, his 20-year-old accuser said she felt powerless to stop a short-tempered Roethlisberger from having sex with her, even though she told him over and over again to stop.

Lawyers did not permit the questions to be asked, so the two-time Super Bowl winner was not asked about the Milledgeville, Ga., nightclub incident, although he faces no charges. But he said his family members know what happened that night.

Roethlisberger also hinted that living a role rather than living a life may have affected him on the field, too. The Steelers went 9-7 and missed the playoffs last season, one season after winning the Super Bowl, even though he had his best season statistically since being a first-round draft pick in 2004.

“I’ve wanted to apologize to them (fans) for so many things. For being immature, for being dumb, for being young, for not knowing any better,” he told WTAE. “For getting caught up in everything that was thrown my way. … In my heart, I know I haven’t been the best person, the best quarterback for the Steelers, I’m not talking just on the field, I’m talking off the field.”

Roethlisberger said he is sorry that his behavior hurt and saddened his parents, sister and other family members. His sister, Carlee, was a member of Oklahoma’s NCAA women’s basketball Final Four team, yet she told reporters he did not attend one of her games last season.

Already, he said, family members can tell a difference in him since the Georgia incident.

“My dad said to me about a month ago, it’s good to have my son back,” Roethlisberger told WTAE. “That killed me because my dad’s been my best friend. For him to say that to me really let me know I wasn’t who he raised me to be.”

Roethlisberger gave the interviews upon the advice of consultants hired to help him and the Steelers rebuild his badly damaged public image. He promised several times that fans won’t see the bad Roethlisberger—rather than the popular, championship-winning player of before—any longer.

“I know I’ve slipped, stumbled … but you’ll see a new Ben,” he told KDKA.

He also said it is important for him to regain his status as a role model, even though some parents have ordered their children not to wear his No. 7 jersey any longer. Some families chose to mail their jerseys to the Steelers as a sign of their disgust.

“Those chapters in my life, I’ve closed that book and I’m not opening them up,” he told WTAE. “It only matters what I do from here on out. That’s what I’m excited about—showing people, proving to people, fans, teammates, my family, the commissioner, everybody, who Ben Roethlisberger is. And that Ben is here to stay.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's game time! Sign up for Fantasy Football '10 today!
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Default Re: Big Ben blames problems on immaturity

this is a nice interview and im glad to see ben wanting to get his life back in order and hopefully win us a few more super bowls
Old 06-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Big
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16315
My Mood: Tired

Old 06-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

It's all good that he's committed to changing, but he hasn't really been tested yet.

The real test will come when he becomes successful and a big name again---then we'll see if he relapses or has really changed.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

exactly
Old 06-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Yeehaw

He has a long road back off the field, but America loves a comeback...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Prok
Team Captain

Member Number: 8921

I think it was huge of him to have the long discussion with coach Cowher. Nothing but good could come out of that discussion IMO.

Gotta say i was impressed with Ben after that interview.

Admittedly I was livid with him for putting himself in this damn situation twice. But i whole-heartidly believe he did not rape that girl.

He got the wake-up call he needed hopefully and we all can move on to even greater things in the future for the short-term turmoil we suffered recently.

I like the fact that he recognized us fans as well. He DID put us through hell.

BTW thanks for un-banning me Pete. While i did spam the board once it was out of frustration.

I wish no ill will towards any Steelers fans. I may even post a bit more if this place grows. And stays free. lol

Old 06-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prok View Post
I think it was huge of him to have the long discussion with coach Cowher. Nothing but good could come out of that discussion IMO.

Gotta say i was impressed with Ben after that interview.

Admittedly I was livid with him for putting himself in this damn situation twice. But i whole-heartidly believe he did not rape that girl.

He got the wake-up call he needed hopefully and we all can move on to even greater things in the future for the short-term turmoil we suffered recently.

I like the fact that he recognized us fans as well. He DID put us through hell.

BTW thanks for un-banning me Pete. While i did spam the board once it was out of frustration.

I wish no ill will towards any Steelers fans. I may even post a bit more if this place grows. And stays free. lol

agreed on both notes. we all know cower and ben wernt best of friends and to come together and talk like that was huge.

like you said, were all steeler fans 1st. were all here for the same reason and love the same team. my only regret is this offseason is dragging. as much as i love summer i cant wait for football to start up again
Old 06-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Prok
Team Captain

Member Number: 8921

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
agreed on both notes. we all know cower and ben wernt best of friends and to come together and talk like that was huge.

like you said, were all steeler fans 1st. were all here for the same reason and love the same team. my only regret is this offseason is dragging. as much as i love summer i cant wait for football to start up again
That was super impressive IMO. And like you said, we ALL know of Ben's problems with Cowher and Whis. That moment in SB XL comes to mind. Where Ben told Cowher to coach to win rather than coach not to lose is one example i can think of.

Just the fact that he has shown he can make ammends with those 2 speaks volumes IMO. And he even handled the Terry Bradshaw question great IMO.

I was just sitting there thinking to myself "I KNEW Ben was not as bad as the media portrayed him to be.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
Stinky Fred
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16387

Ben doesn't have a clue about what he did. He's just saying things he thinks will make the FO and fans accept him.
Stinky Fred is offline   Reply With Quote