Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Steelers Off-Season Thread

It's that time...time to get serious about what kind of team we want to put on the field next year to repeat with.

Salary cap- With the new TV deals in place, the cap will increase more than in the past. How does 94 million sound? It's currently at 85.5. I don't need to tell you how good this news is for the Steelers.

Free Agents- This is the tough one. The Steelers will play this as a business deal, and won't allow emotion to interfere, so that's how it should be approached by the fans as well.

ARE- Will be overpaid by someone else. I'm guessing Chicago, where he will probably disappear in that awful offense. ARE will not be back.

Deshea Townsend- He's another guy that can stay for a 1 year deal or take the money and run. He'll be overpaid elsewhere, so I see him being gone. The Steelers got smoked by the D Washington and C Scott deals overpaying aging CB's, and they won't make the same mistakes again.

Kimo- I don't know...there's a limited market for 37 year old DT's, but he does play in the 3-4, so someone may opt to overpay (The Raiders do stupid things like this every year). I think it's Keisel's time to shine, but this one will be interesting.

Keisel- Both these guys #'s are up. I say go with youth and sign Brett and let Kimo go unless he's willing to be signed for a reasonable amount of money.

Batch- Keeper. Solid back-up, seasoned vet, and draft a 3rd QB late like we alsways do.

Morgan- Sign him for reasonable money. Is he equal to ARE? No, but he does return kicks, and showed some flash this year.

Haynes- Keep him as security regardless of what we do at RB. He'll be fairly cheap.

Sean Morey- Valuable role player, and will be dirt cheap. Keeper.

Barrett Brooks- Buh-bye...

Finally, my main concern is Chris Hope. Whether we lose Keisel or Kimo (and we may lose neither, and won't lose both), if Hope comes back we keep a Championship defense completely intact with the DC returning as well, which is practically unheard of nowadays, and will go a long way to determining our chances towards a repeat next year.

The FA pool of free safeties sucks this year, and Hope is the top FA by far, which means he'll be overvalued by those teams in need. Will the Steelers pay up? I doubt it...but it's a lose/lose deal. At 25, he's young, but if we overpay it's still overpaying. If we cut him loose, who plays FS? I think THIS is the key offseason move the Steelers make, and I have no idea how it will turn out.

Roster Moves- Hartings isn't leaving, so what do we do? Ask him to stay and restructure. I think he'll accept. If not, Okobi enters camp as the pencilled in starter and we draft C in RD 1 or 2 in the draft (Depending on the Hope deal)

Maddox- Please. Keep him until July 1st, then dump the chump for a 900k cap savings.

Willie Williams- Gotta go...thanks for coming back and contributing, but we need your 1.25 mil in cap room Willie...but you got a nice ring out of this deal to retire with!

I'm ignoring the draft for now until we start to see how these other things play out...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910
Default Re: Steelers Off-Season Thread

you forgot about the most important person that we need to sign....Ike Taylor, my man!

i agree with most, but i believe haynes will be asking for starting RB money, so he's as good as gone.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Ike is a restricted FA, so I'm not concerned...we sign him to a nice money deal. Haynes can shop himself all he wants, but his own role will work against him. He'll be back.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,012 Times in 3,426 Posts

i could see the eagles wanting haynes. you would think he would be more sought after than c. fuamatu maafala was a while ago. on the radio a. sheyne kept saying najeh davenport to replace bettis. im thinking haynes could do just as well as him (if not duce).
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,012 Times in 3,426 Posts

and im liking t. carter. im wondering if the steelers feel like hes getting ready to step in just like hope did when logan went down. he sounds pretty smart in interviews and could be another hidden gem on the bench. i want hope to stay though. no sense in disrupting a secondary tham many still regard as the steelers weakest link
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #6
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Well suit, that was well said I can honestly say I agree with pretty much everything you stated.

Hope is #1 priority here as we have zero depth at safety.

I think KIMO is too old and too set in the 3-4 here in steel town to go anywhere else..he's got his money and he's got a couple good years left.. I'd bring him back on a 2 yr deal for reasonable money if we can..for depth and leadership..

Keisel is another HUGE one..this guy has all the upside in the world and we need to get his butt under a reasonable contract now becuz he's only gonna get better and better and he's played very well this year.

Ike will get some offers but we can match them so we shouldnt have too much of a problem bringing him back, but it should be a priority none the less to get him to a multi year deal this offseason.

Morgan and Morey..no doubt their butts stay here. Morgan is a great 4th WR.

I dont think we'll have a problem bringing charlie back..he's not gonna start anywhere and he's in a prime spot as Ben's #1 backup.

I like Haynes as a 3rd down guy..he runs hard and is a decent threat in the screen pass situation too..and he can block so we dont need to sign a backup FB again to Kreider.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Townsend as FS? Carter as FS? I don't know. It's a possibility that needs to be explored...keeping one of our experienced nickel backs as FS if Hope takes off.

There ARE a few good FS's out there, like Adam Archuleta (sp?), but I think most are likely to resign with their own teams.

Here's a list (some of these are SS):

UFA’s

1)Adam Archuleta Stl
2)Chris Hope Pit
3)Tank Willliams Tenn
4)Will Demps Bal
5)Corey Chavous Min
6)Dexter Jackson TB
7)Sam Brandon Den
8)Marlon McCree Hou
9)Keion Carpenter Atl
10)Deke Cooper Jax
11)Idrees Bashir Car
12)Anthony Mitchell Cijn
13)Ifeanyi Ohalete Cin
14)Lance Schulters Mia
15)Bracy Walker Det
16)Earl Little GB
17)Kevin McCadam Atl
18)Ronnie Heard Atl
19)Keith Davis Dal
20)Ken Irvin Min
21)John Howell
22)Marquand Manuel
23)Ryan Clark NYG
24)Omar Stoutmare NYG
25)Ramon Walker Hou

RFA’s

1)Terrence Holt Det
2)Guss Scott NE
3)Scott Connot KC
4)Mike Adams
5)Clinton Hart
6)Mel Mitchell NO
7)Jarrod Cooper
8)Yeremiah Bell Mia
9)Reggie Myles Cin
10)Willie Pile Dal
Old 02-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,113 Times in 3,201 Posts

Chris Hope is gone. Ed.B. of P-G said Steelers and Hope were never close on $$ going into the last year of his contract, which in the Steelers' world view usually means you are out. Hope is a nice player but the Steelers appear to think he is replaceable. According to a Sportsline piece I linked elsewhere, "check out the depth at safety, folks. There is the Rams' Adam Archuleta. And Pittsburgh's Chris Hope, Miami's Lance Schulters, Carolina's Marlon McCree and Baltimore's Will Demps. It's a good year to shop for secondary help."
That may be the only way Hope's price stays in the Steelers ballpark, but someone will take a risk that Hope can step up and is not simply someone whose success is due to LeBeau's schemes and playing with Troy.

ARE is gone - same issue of Steelers getting you locked up the next to last year of the contract if they really want to keep you. I am happy he will make the big $ but he is a #3 WR and not worth what Chicago or (more likely) the Redskins will pay for him. As anopthr poster said, ARE was gone when Cedrick Wilson was broiught in.

Steelers will not pay what Deshea Townsend wants, but McFadden will be the starter next season anyhow. If Deshea comes back it will be as a nickel back, assuming the Steelers are giving up on Coclough.

I agree they will make a big push to sign Keisel. Do not want a repeat of the Vrabel departure to haunt them for years to come.

If Taylor is the rising star at CB he appears to be they probably will attempt to get him signed to a long term deal before he is a real FA after 2006.

Losing players is part of the routine. Losing ARE and Hope will take out 2 second tier starters, but (aside from the loss of Bettis, with who knows what emotional & talent drop-off), the big guns (not to mention the full coaching staff) will be back.

A lot hinges on if a new CBA gets ratified soon.

Can't wait until we open with Denver on Thursday night to start the regular season in September.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:08 PM   #9
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

yes Deshea is a FA.. Carter signed a 1 yr deal last year to stay with the team again. He was well worth the money and good servicable backup in dime situations.

Deshea, I love for him to stay, he's earned his shot and plays well and he's the Vet back there in the secondary especially at CB. As good as Ike, Bryant, Coc, are, I want a vet back there as well. He wont command all THAT much money, but Pittsburgh will be thinking of all the talent they have in McFadden and Ike and that may keep them from spending anything more than moderate amounts on Deshea.

No matter what though, secondary depth will be a key in this years offseason.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #10
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Ricardo Colclough is in the exact same situation as Ike was last year...he came from a small school, so they gave him 2 years to adjust instead of one. The Coke/McFaddy battle will be the best one in camp next year, and whoever wins will make the Steelers a better team.