Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #21
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: raider new coach!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black
Thanks. I now know that although you are intelligent, you will never give respect where it is due. That's ok, I have found a few other Steeler fans here who are willing to be civilized and realize that there are other teams, owners and player that deserve respect. It would be a pretty dull league if the only team in it was the Steelers. You seem to be full of negativity toward anything not Steelers, unable or unwilling to say anything respectful about another team. That's cool... every forum has guys like you.
I have a lot of respect for a lot of organizations...I respect the Raiders circa 1980 and before. I think it was about 1983 that Al Davis cracked.

Art Shell is a class guy...he actually did fairly well for the Raiders...didn't the crazy man fire him after taking the Raiders to the AFC Championship one year than slipping to 9-7 the next? It's been 12 years since Shell coached, and if the game hasn't passed him by, and the crazy man doesn't stick his nose into Art's business too much, Shell mey be able to put a competitive product on the field by 2007.

That being said, it's still a joke that the Raiders had to fall back on a guy who has already been HC there. The Raiders are a pale shadow of the juggernaut they used to be...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #22
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I have a lot of respect for a lot of organizations...I respect the Raiders circa 1980 and before. I think it was about 1983 that Al Davis cracked.

Art Shell is a class guy...he actually did fairly well for the Raiders...didn't the crazy man fire him after taking the Raiders to the AFC Championship one year than slipping to 9-7 the next? It's been 12 years since Shell coached, and if the game hasn't passed him by, and the crazy man doesn't stick his nose into Art's business too much, Shell mey be able to put a competitive product on the field by 2007.

That being said, it's still a joke that the Raiders had to fall back on a guy who has already been HC there. The Raiders are a pale shadow of the juggernaut they used to be...
So... beautiful. That brought a tear to my eye.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #23
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha rock
AL OFFERD THE JOB TO PERTERNO AND THATS IT HE DIDNT WANT ANYONE ELSE BUT ART OR PERTENO ART WILL DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE GET READY!!

oh man. Joe "Perterno" wood been have chouice puurfect for Raiders the.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #24
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim

Thanks for the reply. I probably came on a littlle strong with you. I apologize.

It gets old reading and hearing the same old, worn out rhetoric about Al Davis. I have a few disagreements about how he does things, as well but, that doesn't mean he is senile, or a crack pot, or he has lost it. Al Davis is probably one of the greatest football minds in the game. I would dare say there is no owner, or current head coaches either, for that matter, that knows more about the game.

Al gets a bum rap because he does things his own way... be damned what anyone else thinks. Sometimes he looks like a genius, sometimes a fool. The Raiders are larger than life, and maybe the most recognizable of all pro sports teams in the world, with the exception of maybe the Yankees. This is because of the vision of Al Davis... a larger than life personality. There are lots of people, including Raider fans that want him to step aside and/or sell the team. Al Davis IS the Raiders. I don't know what would become of the Raiders if Al Davis wasn't there anymore. Unfortunately, we will likley find out in the near future... he's up in years, and his health is failing. But he has lost nothing mentally. I still get pumped when I hear him speak... the man is still sharp, and clear in his vision for the Raiders.

We have an insider on our forum that works for the Raiders organisation. He keeps us informed of what is likely to happen. We get information sometimes a day or two before the media does. I knew that Whisenhunt wasn't getting the job, a full day day before you, or the media did. There was only one offer from Al Davis to, anyone, to be the head coach of the Raiders, and that was to Petrino. Whisenhunt was never offered the job. Neither was Al Saunders. It is speculated that the offer was made to Petrino, knowing that he would not except it, prefering instead, to stay at Louisville, with a stable position and avoiding the kaos of the NFL. Our insider tells us that, barring an interview that just blew Al away, Art Shell was a leading candidate from the start.

The absolute mania over Whisenhunt in the Raider Nation was something else to watch unfold. It was almost like it just had to be this guy, or bust. Apparently, Al didn't think he was ready, at this time, to be a head coach, otherwise, he would have been given an offer. It has also come to light that whisenhunt wanted total control. I don't think any young, first time head coach would be given total control by any owner,, let alone Al davis.

Some of Al Davis' reputation is well earned... most is not. Most is fabricated, and perpetuated by the media and the haters. That's ok... the Raiders have never been a team to take the easy road. All the history, acclaim, glory, and championships have come the old fasioned way... IT WAS EARNED.

I know that all you Steeler fans feel the way about your team and ownership... and you should. I visit your forum, because I too, respect the Steeler organisation and ownership. The Steelers approach the game the same way the Raiders do... hard and physical. It is no secret the way both teams play... this is what we do, go ahead and try to stop us... if you can.

In looking back at this whole coaching search, I think the correct decision was made as to who should coach the Raiders. This current team is very young and talented but, they have no dirction. Norv was a horrible coach... no fire or passion. No leadership. When you have players on the sideline that are smiling and laughing while they are getting their ass kicked... there is somethiong wrong! There won't be any of that with Art Shell. I think he is the guy to help this team, at this point, regain what it means to be Raiders. After all, he helped to create the Raider Mystique. He lived it. Who better, to help them get it back?
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:35 PM   #25
metalicon
Water Boy

Member Number: 1145

I certain hope that Art does gives the Raiders that much needed shot in the arm. Besides the Steelers, I have watched the Raiders for years and I have never ever seen Oakland in this bad of shape. I remember in the 90's, they may have missed the playoffs quite a bit but at least they were a respectable team. Now they're in that realm with teams like Detroit and Arizona. Consistently bad. That's not Raider football, and they have too much tradition and history to go as south as they have. Here's hoping that along with the Steel, the Black and Silver will be the cream of the AFC and even the NFL.
metalicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:26 AM   #26
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalicon
I certain hope that Art does gives the Raiders that much needed shot in the arm. Besides the Steelers, I have watched the Raiders for years and I have never ever seen Oakland in this bad of shape. I remember in the 90's, they may have missed the playoffs quite a bit but at least they were a respectable team. Now they're in that realm with teams like Detroit and Arizona. Consistently bad. That's not Raider football, and they have too much tradition and history to go as south as they have. Here's hoping that along with the Steel, the Black and Silver will be the cream of the AFC and even the NFL.
I hope for the same thing. As a fan that watched the Raiders build their legacy in the 70's... this current bunch of Raiders is a bitter pill to swallow.

It would be nice to see the Steelers and the Raiders play games that are the talk of monday mornings again!
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:26 AM   #27
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031

I hope Davis has some patience with Shell and the Raiders,its going to take some time to get them turned around and headed in the right direction(Shell will get it done) He's got talent on both sides of the ball and with a good draft and development of some players 2006 might be a good first step to getting there swagger and nastiness back.....

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:29 AM   #28
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

If Shell was the leading candidate, why wait until after the season and put your team weeks behind the eight ball? I also don't believe for a second that Whiz wasn't offered the job...this reminds me of a little kid asking a girl if she'll "go with him", and when she turns him down he says "I was just kidding".
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #29
syde18T
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1561

Doesn't matter. As long as Al Davis runs that franchise, no coach will have the necessary authority over the players, and that'll send the team downwards....
Old 02-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #30
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by syde18T
Doesn't matter. As long as Al Davis runs that franchise, no coach will have the necessary authority over the players, and that'll send the team downwards....

IMO the Raiders are going to flounder in the ocean mediocrity or worse as long as Al Davis remains the owner.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote