Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #61
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 841
Default Re: Steelers Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I'm torn...is there that guy there at #32 that we HAVE to have regardless? I still think WR, and am sold on Nance, but is he too much of a reach at #32 and hopelessly gone at #64?
No, there's not really anyone we need, I mean, we just won the Super Bowl and already have replaced the starters who left. WR is not a good position for the 32nd pick for the exact reasons you said; too much of a reach at 32 and gone at 64. I think Jason Avant might be a third round possibility.

We're just gonna go best available at 32 (obviously not QB or SS). I think it's going to be Carpenter.
MNsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:58 AM   #62
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

DEFENSE DEFENSE unless of course there was away to get WHITE, but i dont think a chance so have to go defense.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:38 AM   #63
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

I think our needs are S, WR, LB (depth), RB (depth), and 3rd QB.

Safety: I'm going to give Ryan Clark the benefit of doubt that he should be able to start and seemlessly replace Hope. Ike Taylor is still up in the air so that leaves us with a possible hole and Carter as the only backup. This could very well be our #1 pick.

WR: Cedric will have to step up bigtime, last year our TE had more catch's than he did. Morgan and Washington are possible #3 WR but we really only have one sure thing and that's Hines Ward.

The #2 WR Chad Jackson and #3 WR Sinorice Moss should fall because Dallas signed TO but it's questionable that they are there at 32. If either is available I think you have to take them. Likely we will use our 2nd pick to get WR Martin Nance or WR Hank Baskett.

LB: We have all of our starters and sufficient depth but Porter is gone after next year simply because his contract is getting too high, 3rd round.

RB: I don't know what's up with Haynes but Duce and Willie should be able to get the job done this year. But you always have to worry about an injury, especially with Duce so I think we take the best prospect available with our second 3rd round pick.

QB: I think we take a 3rd QB in the fourth. If Joey Harrington doesn't sign I'd take him though and offer him a chance to play for the 2nd QB spot as long as he doesn't want more than $1m a year.

As far as Center goes, we have Hartings and Okobi. At DE we have Keisel and Bailey. I just don't think we need more depth than that. Maybe with the rest of the draft picks the team will look at some possible future replacements for these positions.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #64
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

"LB: We have all of our starters and sufficient depth but Porter is gone after next year simply because his contract is getting too high, 3rd round."

Exactly right, but Porter's contract situation is why Carpenter makes the most sense in the first round. Not only do you have to weigh what you need, but you have to look at the player who most fits the pick. You can't take a second/third-round talent (any receiver who will be on the board at 32) with the 32nd pick just because you want to develop a No. 3 receiver in the next year or two. They already put their plans for the WR spot in Ward and Ced for the next three years. THere's your 1 and 2. Take the OLB whom you might need to start next year.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #65
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

If there is even a chance of Porter being gone, that makes all the reson to take a LB / DE the first two picks. We dont know if Keisel is going to be that good for a whole season and Bailey was let go by us, the Pats, the Seahawks for a reason. I really think we will be making sure we have someone in place for Keisel just in case.. plus we need someone back up as well.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:04 PM   #66
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightwriter1
If there is even a chance of Porter being gone, that makes all the reson to take a LB / DE the first two picks. We dont know if Keisel is going to be that good for a whole season and Bailey was let go by us, the Pats, the Seahawks for a reason. I really think we will be making sure we have someone in place for Keisel just in case.. plus we need someone back up as well.
Are there any DE/DTs in the draft this year who would make a good 3-4 DE? Ya gotta think big, I mean, Smith, Kimo and Keisel are all 6-foot-5 275+ lbs.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:51 PM   #67
mopit55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2035

defense , first a safety or corner (cromartie or youboty), two a receiver (nance or stovall), and a linebacker.in free agent burleson was good but now the draft is the last alternative.
mopit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:23 AM   #68
BigDude66687
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 904

I think 1st is Carpenter if he's still there
Nance in the 2nd
3rd round we'll draft a safety and Rb
4th we'll go Qb or project wr Roberts perhaps
5th De/DT folllowed by depth
BigDude66687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:48 AM   #69
Busforever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1065

What do you think of Maurice Stovall at WR? 32 is probably too high for him, and 64 maybe not enough. But he is a big guy at his position, and he is from Notre Dame. And now we miss that kind of player!

plus i read he is a great blocker...
Old 03-30-2006, 10:13 AM   #70
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Stovall would be a great grab to have... if we had 5 drafts picks between the 1st and 3 round. lol

alot of players would help our team for the future and that is hwy is so hard to guess where the Steelers would be going this year with their first two picks.

I feel a LB, DE in the first two rounds and a RB/ WR in third.....

BUT

since we have no immediate needs for someone to come in and start right away, the Steelers could easily go any direction the next two years piling on back ups and groom them. That is the best thing about not having an immediate need at any one position because the Steelers will be able to truely take the best player available on the board in rounds 1-3 and it wouldnt hurt any because we dont have that immediate need anywhere.

I hear all the time we need a # 2 WR and how hard Randle El will be to replace.. but seriously he had only 35 catches and i think Wilson, Morgan, Washington could at least match that total with no problem. That is only around 2 catches per game so is not a huge goal statistally speaking lol