Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
SteelCurtain0815
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15238
Default Position Battles

Does anyone think that Hood can challenge Kiesel for a starting job? I know Hood is primarily a LDE, but I would be stoked if he could take Kiesel's spot. We need some youth on our d-line anyways. Another person that I would like to see surprise people is Keenon Lewis. I'd like to see him take McFadden's spot, but I don't think that will happen. Hopefully, he can outperform Gay in camp and win the third corner job.
SteelCurtain0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Position Battles

You can't mention that here. To think that a number one draft pick in his second year could perform better than, or equal to (2) guys paid 3 and 6 x more is crazy talk on this board. The money wrapped up in Farrior, Smith and kiesel is way to much for players on the decline.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

You think Smith and Keisel are on the decline?

I'll grant you Farrior was a nightmare in passing situations last year---but Smith and Kiesel have done nothing but play selflessly at a high level, Smith at an EXTREMELY HIGH level. I don't know the particulars of Kiesel's contract so I can't comment if he is overpaid, but I see no evidence that he's on the decline, and Smith has been nothing if not phenomenal at the position.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:27 AM   #4
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

agreed, as long as smith and kiesel continue playing at a high level like they are then there definatly worth the money. personally i feel smith has been the most underpaid player on our team for a long time

as for Hood, as much as a love Kiesel i would love to see him play great and take Kiesel's starting job. we definatly need youth inserted into our defense and more then anything we need Hood to pan out well.
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
SteelCurtain0815
Bench Warmer

[QUOTE=mikegrimey;830707]You think Smith and Keisel are on the decline?

I never said they were on the decline. However, they aren't getting any younger and A. Smith is coming off a season ending injury. At his age, it gets harder to come back from those types of injuries. Hopefully, he will come back 100%, but I hope Hood gets more snaps this year. I am actually more intrigued by K.Lewis battling for a starting position.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

I think Hood will be used like he was later in the season rotated in to gain experience and unless he just totally outperforms the other guys this will be his role all year long.

I would also love to see Lewis win a starting position.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
SteelCurtain0815
Bench Warmer

You're probably right. Hood will see the same amount of playing time. I'm ready to see what he can do though. They need to take him off his leash this year.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtain0815 View Post
You're probably right. Hood will see the same amount of playing time. I'm ready to see what he can do though. They need to take him off his leash this year.

I am too I would love to see Hood unleashed to see what he can bring to the table.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

[QUOTE=SteelCurtain0815;830849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
You think Smith and Keisel are on the decline?

I never said they were on the decline. However, they aren't getting any younger and A. Smith is coming off a season ending injury. At his age, it gets harder to come back from those types of injuries. Hopefully, he will come back 100%, but I hope Hood gets more snaps this year. I am actually more intrigued by K.Lewis battling for a starting position.
At 34, in the NFL you are not getting better...So yes they are in the decline of their respective careers..
Old 07-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

I see no evidence to support your claims. I wasn't asking for you to read me the ages of said players allegedly on the decline.

Farrior, I grant you, with the pass coverage. He is on the decline at MLB.

Keisel and especially Smith, not at all. Age doesn't matter if you can still play at a high level.

Notice I also never alleged that they would get better, but your assumption that 2 of our 3 excellent starting dlinemen are on the decline is wrong. With Smith you could argue that he is injury prone, but you didn't even do that, simply made up a 30-something number and pushed it as proof.
I'm not oppossed to Hood getting more playing time, which he will. I'm just interested as to what you have seen ON THE FIELD that would indicate Kiesel and Smith are on the decline, when their play disputes that claim.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote