Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default COACH TOMLIN GETS NEW DEAL

Mike Tomlin erased any doubts he could follow in the footsteps of Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher when he led the Steelers to a Super Bowl victory in his second year. Now, Pittsburgh has reportedly rewarded the coach with a three-year contract extension, despite a playoff-free 2009 season.

The Steelers have agreed to a three-year extension with Tomlin, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Tuesday. The newspaper reported that financial terms were unknown at this time.

The Post-Gazette reported that Steelers president Art Rooney, who negotiated Tomlin's extension, is on vacation and couldn't be reached for comment.

Tomlin's current contract, which averaged $2.5 million annually, had one season an option year left on it.

In 2009, the Steelers finished 9-7, losing five in a row and missing the playoffs a season after winning the Super Bowl -- the first champion to do so since the Steelers themselves in 2006.

The Steelers have had just three coaches in the last 41 years: Noll (23 seasons and four Super Bowl victories), Cowher (15 seasons and one Super Bowl win) and Tomlin (three seasons and one Super Bowl win).

Tomlin has a 31-17 record in three seasons as the Steelers' coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...r_espn_5375448
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,179 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: COACH TOMLIN GETS NEW DEAL

Beautiful. Great news for our organization, it was getting tight there for a second with the potential bargain agreement and all. Lets roll.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Great decision by Front Office to extend the contract of Tomlin and I hope this is the first of many more to come.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

I wonder where's the idiot that always bashes Tomlin, and then when people defend Tomlin, this idiot says "well Art II sees it differently or he would have extended his contract"..... I wonder what that retard has to say now.....
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
scsteeler
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHammer View Post
I wonder where's the idiot that always bashes Tomlin, and then when people defend Tomlin, this idiot says "well Art II sees it differently or he would have extended his contract"..... I wonder what that retard has to say now.....

Old 07-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

we wernt going to let him go but if we did he would be the #1 coach on the market. good choice resigning him
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
scsteeler
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
we wernt going to let him go but if we did he would be the #1 coach on the market. good choice resigning him
I totally agree. Tomlin is coach now and for the Future.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Tomlin still has a lot to prove, in my eyes at least, which is why I think the Rooneys only extended him for 3 years. I can imagine the family is not too impressed with the lack of control of his team in the offseason. Losing a franchise quarterback that they invested $100 in for 4 games and a star receiver that they traded for a bag of beans probably infuriated them to no end.

Aside from Woodley, Timmons, Mendenhall, and Wallace, I can't personally say I'm too impressed with his (and moreso Colbert's) drafted players. Adding one good player in the rotation per year when your losing superstars left and right to suspension, FA, old age and injury is not going to cut it. I mean look at the list of drafted failures: Tony Hills, Matt Speath, Ryan McBean, Cameron Stephenson, Mike Humpal, Dennis Dixon (yes he sucks), Kraig Urbik, Frank Summers, Ryan Mundy, William Gay and my personal favorite, Limas Sweed. I will reemphasize the 2008 and 2009 Steelers drafts were two of the worst in their history. His FA acquisitions are pretty much a crapshoot too. Allen Rossum, Sean Mahan, Justin Hartwig, Carey Davis, McHugh and that corner from Indy who played wretched. Mewelde Moore was the best of the bunch but he is an average at 3rd down back. To top it off, he continues to start Cowher's washed up players like Tyrone Carter and Farrior. Those two alone cost us the playoffs last year. We saw how well Keyaran Fox played both in the Titans game, where he lead the team in tackles, and in the Vikings game where he had that return for a TD. Give the man a chance to start. Farrior whiffed on the same play on 4th down in THREE different games. And why did it take him until week 16 to bench William Gay in favor of another one of Cowher's washed up players in Townsend? We were all screaming for him to get canned by week 7.

That being said I believe our past draft was awesome. I'm very high on almost every single pick. I was talking on another forum how the only way it would have been better is if we would have picked up Tate in the 2nd even though this Emmanuel Sanders kid looks very good.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Tomlin still has a lot to prove, in my eyes at least, which is why I think the Rooneys only extended him for 3 years. I can imagine the family is not too impressed with the lack of control of his team in the offseason. Losing a franchise quarterback that they invested $100 in for 4 games and a star receiver that they traded for a bag of beans probably infuriated them to no end.

Aside from Woodley, Timmons, Mendenhall, and Wallace, I can't personally say I'm too impressed with his (and moreso Colbert's) drafted players. Adding one good player in the rotation per year when your losing superstars left and right to suspension, FA, old age and injury is not going to cut it. I mean look at the list of drafted failures: Tony Hills, Matt Speath, Ryan McBean, Cameron Stephenson, Mike Humpal, Dennis Dixon (yes he sucks), Kraig Urbik, Frank Summers, Ryan Mundy, William Gay and my personal favorite, Limas Sweed. I will reemphasize the 2008 and 2009 Steelers drafts were two of the worst in their history. His FA acquisitions are pretty much a crapshoot too. Allen Rossum, Sean Mahan, Justin Hartwig, Carey Davis, McHugh and that corner from Indy who played wretched. Mewelde Moore was the best of the bunch but he is an average at 3rd down back. To top it off, he continues to start Cowher's washed up players like Tyrone Carter and Farrior. Those two alone cost us the playoffs last year. We saw how well Keyaran Fox played both in the Titans game, where he lead the team in tackles, and in the Vikings game where he had that return for a TD. Give the man a chance to start. Farrior whiffed on the same play on 4th down in THREE different games. And why did it take him until week 16 to bench William Gay in favor of another one of Cowher's washed up players in Townsend? We were all screaming for him to get canned by week 7.

That being said I believe our past draft was awesome. I'm very high on almost every single pick. I was talking on another forum how the only way it would have been better is if we would have picked up Tate in the 2nd even though this Emmanuel Sanders kid looks very good.
That was the a pile of bullshit, we havent seen Dixon, so shut the **** up, and Gay had a solid 2008 season, 2007 season and a dissapointing 2009 season so shut the **** up.

ike taylor had a worse season than gay so why not mention him???? huh go **** deshea townsend then.

Yeah And Like WHO THE **** WOULD WE START IF YOU THINK MUNDY (6TH ROUND) WAS A FALIURE BUT YOUR STARTING A WASHED UP PLAYER, GO LOOK AT THE ****ING DEPTH CHART. YOU BRAINLESS FOOL.

Quote:
Every Single ****ing Fan ALWAYS ****ING MOANING. CRY CRY CRY YOU GUYS ARE ****ING WORSE THAN SEATTLE FANS, NOONE WILL EVER BE ****ING PLEASED WITH WHAT WE DO.

IT ALWAYS HAS TO ****ING BE

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN

p.s. Yeah! Let's take off our defensive captain, then we have no defensive captain left, and Troy isn't a defensive captain, Farrior calls the plays BUT OH NOEESSSS WE CAN MOAN AT THAT AS WELL IF THAT DECISION WENT FORTH.

Yeah like Farrior is washed up, go **** yourself, maybe in 20 YEARS TIME you will see how imporant Farrior was to us this past decade.

May I suggest you support the Ravens, they are a young team.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
scsteeler
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But explain to me how Tomlin is responsible for what each and every player does in the off season? Also how do your replace Cowhers washed up players in 1 year (Your words not mine) and still get the best players available in the draft.