Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

View Poll Results: Who would you of drafted with the 15th overall pick?
7 50.00%
7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default NFL 07 Draft: Lawrence Timmons vs Jon Beason

In the third installment of my many draft comparisons this summer we will discuss passing up now one of the best middle linebackers in the league Jon Beason for the pass rushing turned mlb Lawrence Timmons.

Lawrence Timmons

Stats:
156 tackles
12 sacks
1 int

Awards:
Super Bowl Champion (XLIII)

Jon Beason

Stats:
419 tackles
3 sacks
7 ints

Awards:
Carolina Panthers single-season tackle record (169)
First-Team All-Pro selection (2008)
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
vrabinec
Head Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,402 Times in 725 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed
Default Re: NFL 07 Draft: Lawrence Timmons vs Jon Beason

Apples and oranges as far as what they're expected to do and what their experience is at this point. Timmons was still having technique issues early last year as far as taking on blockers. I don't think we've seen the best Timmons has to offer by a long shot and his stats get dwarfed by beason because he played behind Foote and because he came out early. He's a year and a half younger than Beason, so essentially, in his development, this year will be like Beason's year was last year. (except that Beason started more years in college)

I don't want to make excuses for Timmons but the guy hasn't started all that many games over the last seven or eight years. He's a better athlete than Beason. Let's see what Timmons does when he's in full stride before we write him off. Yeah, comparing them at this point, Beason looks like the better player so I selected him, but Timmons is no slouch, and he's still a work in progress whereas Beason is the finished product.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
Dexter
Water Boy

Member Number: 16454

I know it sounds a little convenient at this point but I wasn't very high on Timmons that early in the draft (thought he had great potential but was a work in progress). Not sure I would have taken Beason either with that pick though. In hindsight, Beason for sure. But without the knowledge I have right now I probably would have gone in a completely different direction.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
I know it sounds a little convenient at this point but I wasn't very high on Timmons that early in the draft (thought he had great potential but was a work in progress). Not sure I would have taken Beason either with that pick though. In hindsight, Beason for sure. But without the knowledge I have right now I probably would have gone in a completely different direction.
I would of gone Michael Griffin Texas, but we had got Clark earlier in 2006 free agency. Also available was Reggie Nelson and Aaron Ross.

We don't have a good secondary because we keep getting half decent mid round picks.

we need a hyped guy out of college that can actually play well. Brandon Harris Miami would be a good pick up in next years draft.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #5
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

I like Timmons. He's the most athletic LBer on our team playing the wrong position. We just didn't know Harrison was going to be the next coming of Kevin Greene at OLB.

Per blitz attempt, he led the league in getting to the quarterback. He's extremely quick off the snap and has the ability to cover the league's best tight ends.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
sbbound
Water Boy

Member Number: 15380

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
I like Timmons. He's the most athletic LBer on our team playing the wrong position. We just didn't know Harrison was going to be the next coming of Kevin Greene at OLB.

Per blitz attempt, he led the league in getting to the quarterback. He's extremely quick off the snap and has the ability to cover the league's best tight ends.
Out of curiosity where do you find statistics like that?

Beason is the pick here right now. Timmons has all the talent in the world, its all a matter of how much work he puts in. IMO the sky is the limit for Timmons, its just a matter of how bad he wants it.
sbbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbound View Post
Out of curiosity where do you find statistics like that?

Beason is the pick here right now. Timmons has all the talent in the world, its all a matter of how much work he puts in. IMO the sky is the limit for Timmons, its just a matter of how bad he wants it.
It's somewhere on google, he had the best sack per blitz attempt.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
Dexter
Water Boy

Member Number: 16454

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
I would of gone Michael Griffin Texas, but we had got Clark earlier in 2006 free agency. Also available was Reggie Nelson and Aaron Ross.

We don't have a good secondary because we keep getting half decent mid round picks.

we need a hyped guy out of college that can actually play well. Brandon Harris Miami would be a good pick up in next years draft.
Agreed on the secondary.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post

Timmons is Athletic and fast but the reason I think he is playing where he is has to do with his strength which was a question mark before he was drafted.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
Tone's Toes
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14418

Beason's a better player right now. Not a surprise either. A lot of people thought he was the better player coming out of college. Not sure I'd do things differently in hindsight though . Hard to say how Beason would fit in the 3-4 here vs the 4-3 he plays in Carolina. He could have some of the same issues Timmons has and quite honestly, if Timmons was playing 4-3 OLB in Carolina, he'd be thriving and probably be a Pro Bowler, imo.
Tone's Toes is offline   Reply With Quote